Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-03-04, 9:56am

Some people are able to run the Phantom at 100% on 3 EX-15 concentrators
Old 2009-03-04, 10:35am

Brent and Trey too.... This is why we love you guys!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-03-04, 10:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I wish I could get tanks filled for $20. The cheapest place in town is $48, and I have to drive 30 minutes to get there in my pickup truck which gets like 12 mpg...
Dang! That is like CA! Here in Austin I have found a place that delivers 3 large tanks to my house for $46 bucks. I still have to pay my yearly tank rentals which is about $120, but the totals are really reasonable. I can't do LOX because I am in a residential area with no safe place to put it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-03-04, 11:12am

after useing the M15 on my outter flame I'm sure that 2 M15's would be plenty for my bullet.can't wait to get my 2nd M15, but I'm doing fine on 2 5's and 1 m15. The 15 is hooked up just to the outer and the 5's just the center cuz the 15 is higher presure.
G.
Old 2009-03-04, 12:54pm
Pyromaniac

(well it was worth a shot Brent)

They charge me 20 for my little 125 cu/f tank... and 21.50 for a K tank... stupid... but that's life.

I'm definitely in the market for a better oxy solution, my 2 oxycons work ok but yeah, I'd rather have more =)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-03-04, 3:23pm

I'm starting to think that Oxygen is like boroworkers crack.....

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-03-04, 3:38pm

Brent That would sure make my day!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-04, 4:43pm
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
I'm starting to think that Oxygen is like boroworkers crack.....
you might think it, but i know it.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-07-02, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
There may be an affordable system in the works that will make those expensive systems obsolete for anything up to a Mirage.

Hang on tight folks, the oxycon systems we need for higher pressure boro work might be just around the corner... and no where near $3800!

I wish I could say more, but I'd caution anybody against spending big money right now, unless they are on a Mirage or larger...
Any new "news" on this ??
Old 2009-07-02, 11:14am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

$48? I've got 2 oxy tanks that are size 2R. I believe if you own it, it is referred to as a
2R, but if you lease it I think it is referred to as a K. Anyways it is 5 feet tall and well over 100 lb in weight. My invoice refers to it as:

OX 2R Oxygen, compressed, 2.2
Customer Owned Vol: 251

To swap out this tank for a full one my invoice amount is now $28.92. Yes, I have to drive about 25 minutes each way to swap it for a full one. When I put the regulator on the pressure goes up to a tad over 2000lb. let me explain 'owning' and 'swapping'. For years I rented two tanks at a few bucks a month. After years I realized that I could buy each tank for about $140. (total $280. for two tanks). The tanks that I own are painted white on top. (I forgot what color the rented tanks are on top.) I take my empty tank to the gas place, drop it off, and take home another tank with a white top, all full and ready to go. I own them, so I do not pay any monthly rental, but I also never get back the exact same tank that I drop off. The only thing that I wonder about now is what would happen if I wanted to switch to a different supplier? Would he accept the tanks that I own and swap them out with his tanks? I guess I won't bother finding out until I find a closer place that is cheaper.

Old 2009-07-03, 9:16am

the new system i think hes referring to is the 'wonka system' maybe there is another though, if so i cant wait to hear.

http://www.unlimitedoxygen.com/produ...nkasystem.html

i left 4 messages and never got a call back. i do know someone that talked to them and felt that it will be a while (prototype was just finished in the last week or so). he also felt that it was 'too good to be true' but if wonka's involved its likely to be worth taking a good look at when its available. if anyone finds out more please post.

i have a rix microbooster filled with an og15. fills in 24 hrs. it died 3 fills ago, then fixed it, now dead again, cust service has been great though, they are replacing the broken parts this time NC.

if anyone has any filling stations make sure to get maintenance info directly from the manufacturer. i bought my system through ogsi and didnt quite get the info i needed, i may have been able to prevent a total breakdown. it originally cost 4500, plus og15. i put about 1000 into it so far. about 3500 hrs on it.

its convenient and im hoping we can get it fixed again. the new units are 5500. if you can use an og20 or something else, i think that fills k tank in 16 hrs.

i thought it would pay for itself then free oxy. well with the breakdowns not the case. the new units are much improved from mine though.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2009-07-03, 10:50am
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME OXYGEN View Post
Some people are able to run the Phantom at 100% on 3 EX-15 concentrators
Yep this works for me and my Phantom. Now when my son Chris is working the Phantom and BIG boro pieces he prefers liquid. but for me, soft glass and smaller boro it works great! Yes, i have 3 hooked together. For soft glass I only turn on 1 or two of them and it runs my inner flame perfectly.

Old 2009-07-03, 10:53am
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
The only thing that I wonder about now is what would happen if I wanted to switch to a different supplier? Would he accept the tanks that I own and swap them out with his tanks?
We "own" 3 K's and we get them filled at the same supplier because he gives us such a great deal. BUT when we are in Arizona for January and February each year we take them to a supplier there and they fill them for us without any problem.

Old 2009-07-11, 9:13am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Jamn,

I just posted photos of a tank fill system I put together, check out the Homemade Equipment thread (page 4 or 5, regarding the Homefill II). total system cost was less than $2300 and tank fills with amortized capital costs are estimated to be $13. The system is similar to the one abr sells, but mine has 2 compressors and costs about 1/2 the amount. The schematic is also posted along with parts so that you can piece one together yourself, if you so desire.

Last edited by metalbone; 2009-07-11 at 9:15am.
Old 2009-07-11, 3:08pm

Here's the link to metalbone's homefill unit.

It looks fantastic.
Old 2009-07-12, 12:05am

Take a look at a Homefill II unit here: http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhq...odID=IOH200PC4

and then take a look at the EX2000: http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...ducts_id=18136

You'll see that the shape of the compressor unit is exactly the same and the oxygen outlet is in the same place. Basically, I think the EX2000 is probably a painted Homefill compressor (and perhaps a few stickers) with a few minor modifications to allow attachement to a cga540 and any oxycon.

I am not sure why anyone would buy an EX2000...it is just too expensive at close to $4000. Especially when used Homefill compressors can be had for $450-650. Add $200-300 more for fittings and doodads, and add your own oxycon and tank, and a tank-filling system on par with the ex2000 can be had for less than $1k instead of $4k, for a savings of $3K.

$3k in savings buys a brand spanking new GTT Lynx, Phantom, or Mirage, plus a whole lot of color. Hell, $3k is a healthy mortgage payment or two...
Old 2009-07-13, 7:58am
Pyromaniac

I have been waiting on the edge of my seat for this new system - In my mind it was something more along the lines of the Oxygen booster for people to use with their existing concentrators than a straight tank fill station... but I'll take what I can get... at this point I just enough heat to show me I need more...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-07-13, 9:46am
Lampworker

i am using an exox filling station.

the problems were with the fittings and hoses. had to replace the clear plastic 02 line and the connector to the tank. and the pressure gauge is about 600# off. i still need to call them to have it replaced or recalibrated.

here is the senearo i am working with:
we have 1 huricane and the concentrator that came with the filling station T together
we have 1 lynx and 2 centerfires hooked up to the generators
we have the outer for a mirage and the outers for a Delta-mag hooked up to the 281 tank.

we use about 1000# of pressure for the outers per 8 hour day. (we are not using our outers full blast, mostly just cracked to cool down the centerfire. mag is used for short blasts totaling no more than 30 min a day total). if your making large boro vessles or marbles i would only suggest one mirage/delta on this set up.

the filling station fills between 900-1000# of pressure during the 16 hours we are not working. on fridays we can use 2000# and it will refill all weekend.

the compressor turns off at about 2400# but the generator stays on
so i got a timer to turn both off after 16 hours on Saturday if we didnt kill the tank on friday.

the system works great, yea it was expensive, but no more need for renting tanks, or scheduling around deliveries.

those home filling stations on invacare.com start at 3500$ new without a compressor, so that is just as expensive as the exo2 2000.

i wish i knew about the wonka system first and held out for it when it comes out, will be interesting to see.
but i am happy with the system. and the setup i have going.
its nice to never have to buy oxygen for a lynx, mirage, and delta mag.

this thread should be in the torch section
there is another thread about this system i started

the key number here for this filling station is that it will refill a tank at a rate of about 56.25# to 62.5# per hour (call it 60#/hr). so do the math on how much you use. ruffly you can use about 6400# per week (1000# m-thur and 2400# on friday)

hope this helps
Old 2009-07-13, 9:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I have been waiting on the edge of my seat for this new system - In my mind it was something more along the lines of the Oxygen booster for people to use with their existing concentrators than a straight tank fill station... but I'll take what I can get... at this point I just enough heat to show me I need more...
you know, I think one of the Thomas 2880 compresors can serve as an O2 booster (with a 30 gallon holding tank) that can deliver up to 100 PSI...You can probably set one up yourself and be up and running in less than a month. This would be along the lines of what Trey is running (it powers his Phantom).
Old 2009-10-19, 8:00pm

Wonka sys is still not available according to website. been waiting for months and the link to be contacted is broke. Anyone know anything? 8 hours is waaaayyy better than 24-36 from ABR. I can't do liquid and I cant do K tanks anymore. No one to help me pick them up or get them upstairs.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2009-10-19, 11:24pm
randrew97

right now alot of the welding suppliers are hurting for business as well as almost everyone else in this economic climate. I just re-negotiated a contract with my supplier for $10 a tank for 220's. I've been holding off on a generator long enough now, I can make it a while longer. LOL!
Old 2009-10-20, 8:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenia View Post
Wonka sys is still not available according to website. been waiting for months and the link to be contacted is broke. Anyone know anything? 8 hours is waaaayyy better than 24-36 from ABR. I can't do liquid and I cant do K tanks anymore. No one to help me pick them up or get them upstairs.
personally, I don't beleive that an 8-hour fill for a K tank is possible on the cheap (sounds like marketing hype more than reality to me, but I hope to be proven wrong).

Also, I'd ask for documentation on the the ABR system fill times of 24-36 hours for a k tank. I set up a single homefill conpressor (I thihk it is the same as the ABR system), and it was taking more than 40 hours a fill. I had to add a 2nd homefill, and have since tweaked it to do a K tank fill in 18 hours. So if you are seriously thinking of that abr system, I would expect the fills on the high end of that range.

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26729
Old 2009-10-20, 9:48am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I have a Carlile CC that I run with 40 lb of oxy pressure (and 5 lb of propane). For marbles I use the outer flame ALOT, with my marbles going from 1 1/4" to 1 3/4". I own 2tanks - the size of each is 2R (each tank stands 5' high and comes with a little bit over 2000 lb. of O2 and costs about $24 to swap out for a full tank). How does my CC stack up against a Mirage?

Old 2009-10-20, 5:05pm
ManBearPig

Best price I can get on my K tanks is $40 a fill. You guys have it good...

Old 2009-10-21, 1:00am

wow that sucks...18$ a fill over here.
Old 2009-10-21, 8:31pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I pay $100 Australian which is about $75US for a tank that is about 5 foot tall.

I have seen a studio here that has a whole bunch of oxy tanks. There is a oxy generator that fills the tanks and then the torches draw off the pressure off all the tanks at once??? I think thats how it works....
Old 2009-10-21, 8:49pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
I pay $100 Australian which is about $75US for a tank that is about 5 foot tall.

I have seen a studio here that has a whole bunch of oxy tanks. There is a oxy generator that fills the tanks and then the torches draw off the pressure off all the tanks at once??? I think thats how it works....
Manifold system.

I have a 6 pack cradle of K tanks that are connected. $116 for refill of the cradle.

Old 2009-10-22, 7:47pm
Lampworker

i will say this too, is that you can only use the bottle down to 600#
i sucessfully filled a k tank to 2400#

so that gives you 1800# of use
at aprox 60# per hour to fill that takes 30 hours to fill a k tank

or you can fill aprox 1440# every 24 hours if you have 2 tanks.

you might be able to run a phantom off of 2 huricanes. i have run a mirage from 2 huricanes, but dont get that intense heat. alot of measuring concentrators performance is based on what you make, if you are working solid/thick tubing or med wall tubing/beads.

i love the combination of 3 centerfires hooked up to 2 huricanes.

i will be able to test a phantom on 2 huricanes soon, i have to replace a diaphram on one of the compressors, waiting on the new diaphrams
Old 2009-10-22, 8:57pm

hey oldschool, why does your tank fill system (ex2000?) only let you work your tank down to 600 psi? Seems like you should be able to fill from empty or near empty and have a quicker fill rate at the lower end...
Old 2009-10-23, 1:26am
sorcerer

I find this discussion interesting, the compressor pumps for filling oxy bottles are expensive and wear out very quickly, I run my Phantom on two OG20s, in Australia these machines cost me $3300 each, that is $6600, If I had gone for one OG20 and a micro pump at $5000 I would then have to have an oxy bottle for storage, this would have cost me close to $9000 all up. I don't see the reasoning as the two OG20s run my Phantom at the same level I have run it on bottled oxy. I would suggest that people look into the cost structure of these options and also try their torch on the concentrators before they fork out all the extra money for the micro booster and storage tanks.
cheers, Bernard