Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-02-19, 8:17am

Default Oxygen questions.....

Is there a concentrator that "fully" powers a Phantom?

Have any of you tried the Oxygen refiller??

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...ducts_id=18136

It refills a tank to 2000 psi but what is the psi on an oxy tank when you get it filled? Is 2000 full?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 8:44am
Pyromaniac

I was looking at those, they don't seem cost-effective. Just keep a couple K tanks on standby for when you need some authority and get a couple or 3 big concentrators. (Ok, I work on a barracuda so your mileage may vary)

Realistically, at full flame a phantom will quickly eat more oxy in a couple hours than that setup can put in a tank for you in a full day.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-02-19 at 8:52am. Reason: did a bit more research
Old 2009-02-19, 10:08am
Pyromaniac

I wonder . . . how much is a tank of O2? Aren't they around $20 to fill?

So with a Phantom, I'll bet you could bust through 4 tanks a week, and that's $4160 in a year! So that system would pay for itself in less than a year. I know when I was using tanked for my Cuda one tank would only last me 6 to 8 hours.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-02-19, 10:19am

I am wondering if the 2000 psi is full or if its 1/4 or half full.
$20 doesn't seem like a lot until you start doing production work! Yes I could go through that much easily in a week and thats not working every day.

Oih Vey! It seems like so much money though!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 10:22am
Pyromaniac

I would love to have one of those if the tanks work like the oxy from the welding shops. I got tired of lugging them back and forth, and I had the small ones.

I do remember the guy at the welding shop saying that the tanks are never filled full but I don't have any numbers.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2009-02-19 at 10:48am.
Old 2009-02-19, 10:24am

If someone lived close to a lot of beadmakers they could also probably start a little side business filling tanks for their friends....

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 10:25am
Pyromaniac

I was just looking at where you were, lol. Thought we could go in on it together but we are too far apart!

I wonder what the welding shops use to fill their tanks.

Old 2009-02-19, 10:39am

Seriously I wonder too!!
Too far to transport huh!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 10:48am

2200 is full for the tanks I get.
Old 2009-02-19, 11:18am
Pyromaniac

I did a bit more research - and then some math...I'm in "get my oxygen needs handled" mode too...

You would kill a K tank in 4-6 hours on a phantom (rated consumption is for a phantom is about 19 LPM or about 2/3 CU/F per minute) - Mine uses about half that much so 12 hours/day...but I'm not sure if the rated consumption is at full blast, or somewhere a bit lower.

Actually seems like a better deal now, especially with the higher pressure and if you can link multiple tanks on a manifold and work off of them while it's running that's pretty golden actually.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-02-19 at 11:27am.
Old 2009-02-19, 12:51pm

I could always make sure and take it in to the welding supply once in a while to be exchanged for a fresh one...
I still haven't heard from anyone who has used it.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 1:58pm
Fire and Fluidity

I have three AS-12A (Airsep generators) that are manifolded into a holding tank at about 20 psi. These run my Phantom and Zora's Baracuda at the same time, although we don't usually "rage" both torches at the same time. She can have hers going full blast for a marble while I'm using a footpedal doing pendants and I never run out of oxygen!!! This setup cost me about $3500 used. Way better than hauling those tanks up the stairs in my studio!!!

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2009-02-19, 3:21pm
boro color bender

When I was at ABR, we filled a tank with one of these. It took longer than 24 hours with a 5 LPM concentrator hooked up to it, but it filled it to 2000 PSI. That's almost "full". I've been looking at these with serious consideration, but honestly, I'm cheap, a little skeptical and waiting for somebody else to pull the trigger and tell me how they like it.

So go ahead Chris... Heidi... buy one and report back.

I really wish I would have hooked up the tank to a torch. I assume if the oxy purity is good on the concentrator, it's good in the tank. Should have checked that though.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-19, 3:58pm

~Wow~ You brought up an excellent point!! I am wondering if you would get such deluted oxy that its better having a third concentrator like Don??

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2009-02-19 at 5:10pm.
Old 2009-02-19, 4:51pm

I've heard that the only issue is the oxy purity. It relys on your concentrator.
Old 2009-02-20, 12:13pm

Here's the system I want to get one day. But, I will have to wait on funds and until I can move out of my neighborhood because compressors are loud! This system produces a little over 80 CFH. Totals up to about $12K which means it would pay for itself in about 4 years.

Per your request, we are pleased to provide the following quote:

On Site Model PRO-8 PSA Oxygen Generator
 Produces up to 80 SCFH at a purity up to 95%
 Generator mounted on 60-gallon vertical receiving/storage tank
 Size: 26” x 26” x 62”, Weight: 550 lbs.
 Electrics: 110 Volts / 60 Hz / 1 phase
 Requires approximately 22 SCFM compressed feed air at 65 PSIG
 Outlet Pressure: 40 PSIG
 Fully automatic with pressure switch. Pre-filters and pressure regulator.
 Control panel with gauges, and power switch.
 Tank includes relief valve, ball valves, gauges and pressure regulator
 ASME Stamped beds

Price: $ 8,815 Net

Optional: Feed Air Compressor
 Chicago Pneumatic: RCP-7581V, 7.5 HP, 5.6 Kw
 Which produces 25 SCFM at 100 PSIG
 Size: 56” x 22” x 50”, Weight: 436 lbs.
 With heat exchanger
 Electrics: 230 Volts / 60 Hz / 1 Phase / 37 Amps
 Air supplied to the generator must be between 100°/38°C and 33°F/0.5°C with a water dew point of 40°F/5°C or below

Price: $ 2,225 Net

Optional: Dryer (Not really optional for Texas)
 Chicago Pnuematic Model: CXP-30
Price $1,071

Optional: Automatic Maintenance Program (AMP) for Generator:
 Replacement filters for 1 year, from installation date.
Price: $ 215 Net

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-02-20, 12:36pm

Thanks Eric!! My neighbors would get me when I was sleeping but wow!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-20, 8:45pm
Bust It Big

For those of you who are interested in this system, it is definately worth the investment. My freind whom I blow glass with, in his shop; has one of these systems running in his shop. He fills 120lb size tanks he has 4 of them that he rotates through. It takes 24 hrs to fill 1 of these to 2000psi. It produces enough oxygen for his Beth-Pm2d and the Barracudda I have been using in his shop. He works fulltime most every day and I come in 2-3 days a week and use roughly 1-1/2 of these tanks a week. It is very efficient, and by the way it is quieter when running than the exhaust system. Very worthwhile investment And I am pretty sure it has a 3 year warranty.

Old 2009-02-25, 1:07pm

I think I would look into Liquid Oxygen for production before one of those expensive systems.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-03, 6:46pm
aka Deborah Spence

Hi baglass... does your friend have the ABR unit or the one quoted by Eric?

Thanks!
Deborah

Old 2009-03-03, 7:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I think I would look into Liquid Oxygen for production before one of those expensive systems.
Paula
Depending on where you are located, the system could still pay for itself even if you are buying liquid oxy. It might take 5-6 years to do it is all. When I lived in CA, at one point I was paying almost $50 for a large cylinder and had to drive to pick it up. I thought I had found a great deal when I finally could get cylinders for $30 each, but I had to drive 25 minutes each way to get them. Also, getting LOX delivered can be problematic in some areas. This system isn't for everyone, but at least this way people realize there are multiple options out there.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-03-03, 7:54pm
In search of her path....

Id easily go through 2 k tanks in a week on just a cheetah and that wasnt when I was torching alot.

Liquid oxy was just gold to me it was the best tihng ever and ive never used a concentrator setup that made me as happy as lox did. lol but I got to get over that cause I cant have lox around here right now lol.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-03-03, 8:08pm

I have been runing the center of my Bullet on 2 - 5ltr cons. and was useing a tank for the outter,but move to a appartment so gave up the tank.
Last weekend I got a good deal on a M15 and hooked up the outter on the m15 and it works as good as a tank.So many people say that the Knight Bullet takes way more oxy. than a Phantum sp. ?
So I would think the outter on your GTT should work great on a m15 or add 1 and a reserve for the iner and outter.
G.
Old 2009-03-04, 5:46am
boro color bender

There may be an affordable system in the works that will make those expensive systems obsolete for anything up to a Mirage.

Hang on tight folks, the oxycon systems we need for higher pressure boro work might be just around the corner... and no where near $3800!

I wish I could say more, but I'd caution anybody against spending big money right now, unless they are on a Mirage or larger...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-03-04, 6:48am
DSDWC

What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
There may be an affordable system in the works that will make those expensive systems obsolete for anything up to a Mirage.

Hang on tight folks, the oxycon systems we need for higher pressure boro work might be just around the corner... and no where near $3800!

I wish I could say more, but I'd caution anybody against spending big money right now, unless they are on a Mirage or larger...

Old 2009-03-04, 7:04am
Pyromaniac

Brent I'll dispose of your old M-15's since you won't be needing them anymore.. I'll even pick them up at no charge to you, since you're such a good pal.

Old 2009-03-04, 7:43am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post

I can't wait to hear what this is!?!

Old 2009-03-04, 8:42am
boro color bender

Gee thanks Chris... but I will be using them on this new sytem.

Lana, it's really a cool idea. Will def keep you guys posted.

Old 2009-03-04, 8:46am

Mmmmmm

Old 2009-03-04, 8:53am
ManBearPig

I wish I could get tanks filled for $20. The cheapest place in town is $48, and I have to drive 30 minutes to get there in my pickup truck which gets like 12 mpg...