LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-24, 12:21pm

Default May be a dumb frit question. Can i make frit form old beads?

Can I use the glass from unannealed beads to make frit? So far all my glass is moretti 104. I see all my unsuccessful beads and wonder is there something I can do with them besides throwing them in the rock garden. i did a search but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is a repeat. If so point me in the right direstion. Eagerly awaiting your answers.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:45pm
Old to LE, new to torch

I've seen this question on here before and the issue is the bead release that unnealed beads still have on them . I'm still pretty much a noob, so maybe the seasoned people which jump in.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-24, 1:31pm
Wandering Spirit

Considering how people melt down glass from bottles and other sources, don't see why you wouldn't be able to- just a question of getting all the bead release out to keep from contaminating the glass.
Safety is also a concern- wear a respirator if you'll be busting up glass for frit since it will release dust you shouldn't breathe.
I've never done this myself, hopefully someone w/ actual experience in this area will pipe up Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-24, 2:20pm
just plain silly

I have used old, or cracked beads that I have thoroughly cleaned out the bead release, split in half, pre-heated in the kiln and added to my hot glass for off mandrel pendants. I would think that frit would work quite well.

Suzanne
Old 2009-07-24, 7:30pm

I don't know why people throw out their beads?? I collect them in a pretty glass jar like this, and leave them on my shelf. It's so pretty!! Plus it's good to go back to the ones you made previously & see your progress.

As for making frit, you must completely clean out the bead release. I would probably grind down the whole are just in case.
Old 2009-08-01, 5:41pm

You could donate them to Beads of Courage.

“Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it
doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
-Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 2009-08-01, 11:09pm
Cat Winx

Tell me (us.. the new kids here) ..what is Beads of Courage?

Thanks in advance

Rachel the firekat

Old 2009-08-02, 8:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB23 View Post
Tell me (us.. the new kids here) ..what is Beads of Courage?

Thanks in advance

Rachel the firekat
There are two programs that you can donate beads to (that I know of). One is

beads of courage. (http://www.beadsofcourage.net/howtohelp.htm). You can donate beads that are then given to children

The other is Hope bracelets project. (http://www.kimmiles.com/hope-bracelet-project.html or

I'm working on the second one. I have about 30 beads that are good enough to send.
Old 2009-08-02, 12:41pm

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=126590

Beads of Courage info

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2009-08-02 at 12:43pm.
Old 2009-08-02, 12:48pm

I'm a bit fan of both BoC and the Hope project - I have bowls going for each.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-08-02, 2:38pm
Cat Winx

Thanks you guys!

~Rachel