Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-08, 12:10pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Default R4 experimental light amber purple

Anyone out there who got some of this willing to share some pics and some tips on how you got color to pop in this glass?

I have no problems working the other R4 colors but this one eludes me. All I'm getting is amber. Help me find the blues and purples!!

Thanks

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-08-08, 2:27pm
yukue fumei

you mean it's available now???
yah! going to R4 store now!
thanks Yee!
Old 2006-08-08, 3:33pm
boro color bender

I am gonna kick Ron's ass... he needs to tell me these things first!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-08, 3:41pm

Yee,
Try it over the new Vetro browns, or ink blue. I've had no trouble getting the blues to pop over the browns. I don't like the way the new browns cloud up, so I tried substituting Topaz and didn't get much. I've also had luck over transparent Sage Green. I'm off to work, but I'll try and post some pix tomorrow. I think this is my favorite of all the silver glasses. When the colors do come out, they seem to have more depth than the other colors do.
I notice it does not like to be reduced as much as the other R4 colors, works better in more of a neutral flame.
Carol

Old 2006-08-08, 3:54pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Carol,

I'm not getting any color at all so any tips you can provide about how to work this glass will be greatly appreciated!

-Yee

Old 2006-08-09, 4:58am
boro color bender

Yee... if it's anything like the AP in boro, work it hot! Then let it cool below glow. It's set up and ready to strike then... in boro anyway.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-09, 5:44am
Certified Glassaholic!

Thanks Brent! This stuff is driving me nuts

-Yee

Old 2006-08-09, 5:50am

Hi Yee,
Posted some pix in the gallery of a couple of mine that came out of the kiln last night. This stuff really seems to like a flame more on the oxidizing side of neutral rather than the reducing side. It also seem to be pretty dependent on the color you put it over - at least what I have seen so far.
Carol

Old 2006-08-09, 7:32am
Certified Glassaholic!

Thanks for the tips everyone I will have to give it another go. Hopefully this time it will work!!

-Yee

Old 2006-08-09, 7:53am
boro color bender

I talked to Ron and he said to try working in an oxydized flame and then after it cools, you can flash it in a reduced flame to get the colors to pop... now, he may have been talking about the blue silver colors, but it really shouldn't matter. Basically, you are keeping the reduction haze off the glass and then adding a little bit while you flame strike the color. This should allow you more control. I'll be getting some next week, so I'll let you know what I figure out.