No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-28, 12:51pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Default Great new bead release....

I've been testing Foster Fire's new Smooth n' Tuff bead release for the last month, you guys are gonna love it!

It's got really firm hold, doesn't crumble around the bead in my lentil press, and I can apply a *lot* of pressure to the glass and it's still holding up. The label says it's good for boro.

Best part, when it comes out of the kiln if you give the bead a twist to free up the release, the damthing just slides right off the mandrel. This stuff is going to save my hand...

FYI, I don't work for Fosterfire, have no relationship with the company. I'm talking because I'm testing, and the product is really good. Hopefully Robin won't be cranked because I'm spilling the info early... No clue when it'll be available to the public, but start looking for it!

*sha(happydance)ron*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2007-02-28, 1:06pm
maybe tomorrow

Great! I use Foster Fire because I have tendonitis in both wrists, and can't get the d@mn beads off with most other releases. Foster Fire comes off easily, but it does crumble on me in presses. I don't use presses a huge amount, but when I do, it's bad enough to have the glass fighting me, let alone the release.

I can't wait to try this out!

Old 2007-02-28, 1:18pm
Obsessed Blogger

Is that what she was giving samples of in Tucson? My mom came back to my booth with a little jar of Foster Fire for me to try. I haven't even looked at it because I have about a gallon of another kind that I'm working my way through. I'll have to go dig it out and see.

I love the easy release of Foster Fire...I don't remember why I switched. Maybe the grainy-ness. So, this is super smoooooth too?

::
Old 2007-02-28, 2:58pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Yep, it's really smooth. It's lighter gray than Fusion and turns white in the flame, and is a bit powdery coming off the mandrel. I added water to thin my jar down to the consistency I like, and it still held up really well... *s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2007-02-28, 3:00pm

Sounds like what I have been waiting for!

Can't wait to try it out.
Christie

Old 2007-02-28, 3:30pm
birdergirl ~o~

How easily does it clean out of a bead hole especially a transparent glass?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-02-28, 7:55pm
one day at a time

Sounds great, Sharon! I would love to try this! I've been used to Alice's for a looong time because it's the only one that doesn't kill my hands and wrists.

I'm serious about that, getting pain in my right wrist something terrible (I shattered this arm in an airboat accident 19 years ago) and going through one bead release brand after another to find Alice's. But it's so darn grainy! Smooooth sounds good to me!

Well, I will admit that I had a small bottle of Fosterfire heavy duty that I used for the few boro beads I made a long time ago, and it was wonderful! But then I took what was left in the bottle and dumped it into a big jar of Alice's when I should have tried it by itself for soft glass.
Old 2007-02-28, 8:06pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I look forward to trying this! I am a diehard Alice's user, but Foster Fire has always come in a close second.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-02-28, 9:16pm

How does it compare to Bucket of Mud?
Old 2007-02-28, 9:50pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

my sample was kinda grainy, but it works great! i do sculptural using it, and its yet to break off and i really do torture it!
oh and it cleans out like a charm!

~~
~~
Old 2007-03-01, 6:45am

Is It on the open market yet? Does she have a web site that I can go to so I can order some?
Liz R
Old 2007-03-01, 6:57am
Ad astra per aspera

Here's the link to Robin's site:

http://fosterfireglass.com/

It's VERY good stuff! I got a sample in Tucson and liked it so much that I bought a full bottle at our local meeting this weekend. Thanks Robin!!!!

Everything Sharon said is true, it's wonderful with presses and cleans out easily.

Old 2007-03-01, 7:11am

I can't wait. I have trouble with my hands too.
Old 2007-03-01, 7:17am
First star on the right..

I have been an Alice's fan for quite a while too.. and I run it through the blender every so often.. which seems to tame the grainyness. But am really looking forward to something that doesnt flake in the presses. Thanks for the info!

Old 2007-03-01, 7:23am
One of the Booger 7

Smooth n Tuff doesn't seem to be on the web site -- unless I'm not seeing it (not unusual) . . . it would be nice to see a posting when it is for sale!

thanks

leslie

Old 2007-03-01, 7:44am
In search of her path....

oh wow this stuff sounds amazing! now just to hunt down the lovely RObin and see if I can buy some now! it sounds PERFECT!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-03-01, 10:05am
torch monkey 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedchicken View Post
Smooth n Tuff doesn't seem to be on the web site -- unless I'm not seeing it (not unusual) . . . it would be nice to see a posting when it is for sale!

thanks

leslie
I'm not seeing it either.. I want some!
Old 2007-03-01, 10:11am

Karin, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see it on her site and thought about e-mailing. If you get some, I will stalk you till you.
Old 2007-03-01, 10:18am
Sheryll

Just PM her, I just got a sample spoken for!
Old 2007-03-01, 10:36am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Website - long story, but my password no longer works to update my website and my webmaster doesn't respond to e-mail. I am in process of changing hosting, but we're not there yet. (sigh)

You can order 16 oz jars from me now at a discounted price because there's no labels unless you count what my home printer provides. You can Paypal me $26 which will includes shipping to robin@fosterfireglass.com

The new formula is currently available for wholesale pre-ordering and those orders will be shipped out in about 2 weeks. I expect my distributors will be charging $24 per 16 oz jar when we go "live".

Thanks for understanding!

International folks please e-mail me and we'll work it out.

Last edited by FosterFire; 2007-03-01 at 10:48am.
Old 2007-03-01, 11:43am
frozen glass pimp

Hi everyone this is Jon for lbsupplys. I would lie to jump in and tell you that the smoth and tuff bead release is GREAT stuff. As you know I do not make a lot of beads any more buy my wife is at it full time when she not helping me with orders.

She has been working with the new beads release for over a month now and LOVE LOVE LOVEs it. We have worked with all the beads releases over the last three and a half years. This is the BEST release she has used.

I have order 250 sample bottle to give away in all order this month for you to try it for free. I do not work for robin. As I sell all the beads release on my web site. So I would like to tell you sharon is right on about this new beads release.

I will carry the full line of beads release as soon as Robin can get it out to me.

Thank you,Jon

and my new ebay listing

Email:

Order Phone: 541-733-4007
Old 2007-03-01, 12:01pm
<--- Time traveler

It sounds like a brand of condom to me, but I can't wait to try it!
Old 2007-03-01, 12:10pm
wabbit swayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post

MiniCC, bottled propane, 10LPM oxycon
Old 2007-03-01, 12:47pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsupplys View Post
. I would lie to jump in ,Thank you,Jon

Now Jon haven't you learned not to lie to your customerss

Old 2007-03-01, 12:50pm

Ok, just went and paypaled ya!
Old 2007-03-01, 1:32pm
frozen glass pimp

Hey Know, who said I lied? I will be the first place to have it in hand when the labels are ready for the bottles. At least that is what Robin told M. (HEE HEE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Now Jon haven't you learned not to lie to your customerss

and my new ebay listing

Email:

Order Phone: 541-733-4007
Old 2007-03-01, 2:11pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
That's hilarious

Old 2007-03-01, 4:29pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quick FYI - shipping to Canada, Australia and New Zealand is only one US dollar extra.

Hi Aussies!!
Old 2007-03-02, 11:07am
SCIENCE Teacher!

All packages that have been paid for are going out today. I have 2 uncleared e-checks that will ship as soon as the check clears. Thank you!! The dogs send thanks for your contribution to the Dog Food Fund.

You can see they have a "ruff" life!
Attached Images

Old 2007-03-02, 11:48am
Missing presumed fed

Is it flame dry?