Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-01, 7:26am

Default Encasing Dichroic

I have some strips with dichroic on one side and something that appears to be foil on the other. Do I have to encase this after I have applied it to a bead? Or would it be okay with being encased. I don't want to make huge beads but that's what I am doing. Thanks, Pam
Old 2009-06-01, 7:36am
Mary Lockwood

Do you have a picture of what you have? I've never seen anything like that before.

Usually dichroic coating is on one side of a clear (or black) glass strip. The rough side is the coated side and looks metallic. But you can see the dichro through the clear on the other side.

You can apply this dichroic with the coated layer against the core bead, and the clear layer facing out. Spot heat the clear layer after it is applied to the bead and press that spot with your marver. This will make the clear spread out over top of the dichroic coating and protect it so it doesn't necessarily have to be encased again.

Go slow and you can do a pretty neat job of it.

If you have something different than what I described, I'd love to see a picture and know where you bought it.

Take care.
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-01, 2:07pm

I got it from Moretti And More, and maybe my description is at fault.

http://www.morettiandmore.com/index....964dc3a829408b
Old 2009-06-02, 10:50am

If you hold it up to the light and look through it, is it Green?

If so, you have dichroic glass that transmits green and reflects Pink. It looks pink against a dark background. These colors will shift as they are heated. Gently fused, the colors will shift to Teal/Light Pink, but if overheated it could shift to undesirable results.

You need to protect the coating side from the flame. If your glass has been fused, then it will be more than obvious which side has the coating, but it will still need protection. Visit here to see how to determine which is the coated side and which is the glass side.
Note: We sell dichroic glass, but it is not compatible with Effetre or any other COE 104 glass. Our glass absolutely will not work with your glass.
http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/dichroic.html

Once you determine which is the dichroic side, put that side against the bead. Gently heat the glass side and start applying the dichroic glass to the bead. Tuck in the edges of the dichroic glass as you go to seal the dichroic layer in. Work as cold as possible.

If you want to apply a small chip of the dichroic glass, heat your bead until just tacky, apply the chip, dichroic side down, then seal the edges of the chip with glass to seal in the dichroic coating, go slowly and work as cold as you can.

Show us some photos when you get done.

Steve