LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2018-12-28, 3:59am

Default Instructions manual for Nortel minor burner

Happy New Year to all members!!!

I lost my instructions manual for the minor Nortel bench burner. I hope someone in the forum can do me a favor and send me a scan or clear photo of this small manual. This is because the gas company wouldn't install a gas line without a catalog /instructions brochure. I sent many emails to Nortel mfg and even called them in Canada, but unfortunately no response. Obviously their customer support service is very bad.
Old 2018-12-28, 10:39am
Loving learning

Maybe they are closed for the holidays? I have called them before and they helped me. I don't recall getting a manual with mine, but I will check.
Old 2018-12-28, 10:42am
Loving learning

I found the specs at Mountain Glass, would they accept that? https://www.mountainglass.com/Nortel...ner?quantity=1
Old 2018-12-28, 1:52pm

Thanks for coming to my rescue Eileen. I am afraid they would not accept anything that is not published by the manufacturer.
Old 2018-12-28, 2:19pm
Loving learning

Hmmm, well that is a distributor, so maybe give it a try?
Old 2018-12-28, 4:14pm

ok, thank you
Old 2018-12-29, 3:20pm
Phill

Edited To Add: The following is all in reference to US building codes and piped in city natural gas.

Please let us know what you learn from this.

There still a lot of places that refuse to do anything outside the scope of what ever their normal is.

It is most likely an insurance issue; their insurance won't cover them if they do anything that isn't normal house hold furnace or stove work.

There a lot of city and county code inspectors that wont sign off on lampwork facilities in a home either.

If you don't find what you need with the booklet you are looking for you could try getting the city / county code inspectors written approval and failing that you could get the local fire marshal to work with the gas installers.

Every barrier you manage to knock down will make life easier for the next person that wants to set up a lampworking studio.

Where I live there is a "home is a castle" rule that says I can do what ever I want to my own home as long as it is approved by the local code inspector.

I have run a gas line to my new gas stove when I moved in, installed electrical wiring, outlets and lighting, replaced a gas hot water heater, install a fence and built a deck without hiring anyone.

That means I also can research what I want to do and write up all the details and get it initialed by the code inspector and do the work myself and get the inspector to approve the work I've done.

My homeowners insurance will then cover it in the event something happens.

Another thing I can do is get a "friend" to show me how to do or install something in my home.

I can't "hire" the friend to do work that requires code inspection without getting the code certificate but I can do the work myself and my "friend can help me" do it.

What you can also do is "ask for a professionals opinion" on - how something should be done - ( right down to the details of what to buy and how to make the fittings and mountings work and what kind of problems you could run into ).
{Wink, wink - Information like that can help you figure out what the projects costs will be and how much time it will take to do the task. That will help you evaluate bids to have the work done sometime in the future - wink wink}

You will probably have to pay the professional for their time for this 'consultation' but it most likely won't cost as much as hiring them to actually do the project.

There are tons of videos about installing things in the home that can show you what you need to do and lots of us that have done this kind of work ourselves who would be willing to tell you how we did it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-01-09 at 4:03pm.
Old 2019-01-09, 6:34am

Thank you so much for taking the time to write on this subject. It is a relief to know there is person willing to help. I think the gas company is obstructing my work because they don't want to be held responsible for any possible accident, something that I can hardly swallow. In Cairo where I live, there are hundreds of lampwork workshops and they all use butane and oxygen tanks. No one actually works from home. On top of everything, connecting a burner to a gas line or an oxy-con is an unknown practice because people in this field are all artisans who inherited the craft from their ancestors.
Thanks again for sharing your experience and for all the tips you gave me.
Old 2019-01-09, 2:48pm
Loving learning

Were you able to get in touch with Nortel?
I did not realize you were overseas, would you like me to try to reach them?
Old 2019-01-09, 4:21pm
Phill

My earlier comments were about using piped in fuel from the city in the continental US.

But you may well be better off using butane tanks.

I am not sure about butane but I know that propane is heaver than air and any leaks will sink to the lowest area and can then ignite in a big boom so the tanks need to be outside all the time.

I think propane and butane fuels have something like 4 or 5 times as much heating capacity as the piped in natural we use here in the continental US for furnaces and stoves and sometimes clothes dryers.

If you do use tanked fuel you can read the studio conversations here about how to pipe the tanked fuel through a wall firmly anchoring the piping on both sides of the wall with a shut off valve that comes with the tank, a valve just before it goes into the wall, a valve just inside the wall and then the valve on the torch.

Having all the valves will give you lots of shut off control points that are well away from any possible burning fuel should something bad happen so you can safely shut it off in an emergency.
Old 2019-01-10, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Were you able to get in touch with Nortel?
I did not realize you were overseas, would you like me to try to reach them?
Thank you for your generous offer. I was able to call Jean today and she sent me a letter signed by the president, which I hope will support my application to the gas company. The lettre is assuring but does not state which standards were actually watched in manufacturing, like API, BS-EN or any other Canadian standards, so I hope this will be acceptable.
Old 2019-01-10, 10:16am

Thank you Phill for the all the information about safety. Yes propane is heavier than air and any accident would be terrible. Butane is lighter, so I guess this is the reason why it is so common here, even in some residential areas.