LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2017-01-16, 3:39am

Default Stringer secrets - New video tutorial on Etsy

Joséphine Trimbur and I are excited to release our new project, Stringer Secrets ! This 28mn video tutorial is packed with tips and tricks for better stringer control, presented in several demos and animations, all professionally edited.
Now available on Etsy in the language of your choice: German, French and English (translated as usual by Florence Renault ). 15€ (1€ on each sale will be donated to Mutperlen Schweiz , an association helping children with cancer).

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Glasting?ref=hdr_shop_menu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-01-16, 8:54am

Bought this and watched it already. So fun to watch you work. Thanks for sharing your talent!
Old 2017-01-16, 8:56am

thank you very much for your feedback

Old 2017-01-16, 2:30pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I can't get either link to open on my iPad! What can I do to be able to watch this video and store it so I can view it more than once?

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.

Last edited by Tillie; 2017-01-16 at 2:32pm.
Old 2017-01-16, 2:33pm

try to copy/paste the URL, it seams that it can help ! I've checked it before on different devices and it worked fine on iPad. let me know if it works !

Old 2017-01-16, 3:09pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

That worked! Thank you! Love the video and am going to try to put it to use this week!

Old 2017-01-16, 3:11pm

good news please send me pictures !

Old 2017-01-18, 9:21am
Dix Harrison

Claudia, I bought your video and love it. I'm sure I will look back at it constantly! Thank you!
Old 2017-01-18, 9:24am

thank you so much, dix

Old 2017-01-19, 11:04am

Claudia I too bought but I can't understand the colors used in 1st bead.
Old 2017-01-19, 12:11pm

oh, sorry for my accent
the base bead is made of :
dark brown (effetre)
dirty martini (CiM)

The stripes are made of dark periwinkle, light turquoise and opak ink blue (247, all effetre).

Old 2017-01-19, 8:55pm

I made a bead with stripes today, it went ok but for some reason when I melt them down the thicknesses are not even. I had a request for a dream bead and the girl wanted her name on it. I managed to write that reasonably well! Thanks
Old 2017-01-20, 1:08am

hello caroline, that happens to me, when I d'ont melt the glass evenly. when the is a spot you heat more or longer in this area the stripes come larger.

Old 2017-01-22, 2:56pm

Great, thanks
Old 2017-01-22, 8:29pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I tried to make a "stringer" bead today. Hahahhaahhahahaha! I got one line to go on like I knew what I was doing....the rest were hysterical!! So I just raked the lines into feathers and said " I meant to do that!" Then I pulled stringers in all different sizes. Tomorrow, I WILL make a bead that at least resembles yours! I WILL!!

Old 2017-01-27, 1:38pm
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
Tomorrow, I WILL make a bead that at least resembles yours! I WILL!!
ok Tillie...lets see it. Time to show and tell...lol.

I just purchased the tutorial. Without even trying to make a bead I have already learned a couple of things just from watching the video. Looking forward to trying it out!

Last edited by Mina; 2017-01-27 at 2:33pm.
Old 2017-01-27, 7:49pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Bwahahahahahahaha! I promise you that you do NOT want to see my bead! I'm still trying to get that "heat control for stringers" thingy down....not having a whole lot of luck, but still trying. FYI, that bead is butt fugly and is hiding under my plumeria tree with the rest of my wonky fuglies.

Old 2017-01-28, 12:03am
Lifelong Student

Tillie, how about a little challenge? between you and me...who will post a half decent bead (using this tutorial) first ? You game? we have one week to create, then on Feb 4th we post our offerings.

PS...I tried to add my fuglies to the landscaping and dear hubby had a conniption. Said he didn't want glass all over the place...lol . I'm about ready to hang them from the tree in the back yard.
Old 2017-01-28, 1:07pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Ok...the gauntlet has been flung down and accepted!

Old 2017-01-29, 6:35pm
Dix Harrison

You gals go for it!!!!

Did either of you try raising your torch as Claudia suggested??

It made a huge difference for me. It gives you more space between the benchtop and the underneath side of the flame.

I tell you something else I did that helped.

I set the iPad right beside my torch.
I prepared a cold lentil bead on a mandrel.
I prepared some stringers.
With NO FLAME ON, I watched Claudia for a little bit.
Stopped the video, positioned my hands just like hers and mimicked her motions with stringer and mandrel.
I think it is really important that your hands work in tandem.
And that you get a feel for the finger positions of each hand.
I have a tendency to hold my stringer like a pencil.
I have to deliberately make my hands do something different.

I am determined!!!!
Old 2017-01-29, 9:29pm
Beadnsprite

I hear the cheer leading team.
Old 2017-01-29, 9:35pm
Lifelong Student

Lol....I can't torch for a couple of days but I have been mentally designing and executing these beads. I'm so excited to try them out.
Old 2017-01-30, 3:49pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I have been watching the video over and over! I'm going to try your trick, Dix! Everything else you've helped me with is working, slowly but surely! Right now, I keep trying to put stringer on just like I out on a rod of glass! I'm going to try to start holding it like she does, but don't know if I can. I'm going out right now, and work while it's cool out there. Wish me luck.

Old 2017-01-30, 6:28pm
Lifelong Student

Hope you have better luck than I'm having Tillie. My bead release keeps breaking and I think it is because my studio is just too cold. I did manage to make one fuglie before I got chilled.
Old 2017-01-31, 9:36am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I showed my beads to my DH......he is still laughing....damn him! They are way too funny to NOT laugh at, dammit! I hate it when he is right...sigh......

Old 2017-01-31, 4:22pm
Lifelong Student

I haven't showed anyone mine yet. I don't have a straight sided lentil, so it is not as neat as it could be. I ended up making a lentil and practicing on it with different colored stringers. After using three colors and melting it all in it looks interesting. Sort of like a shadowing effect.
Old 2017-01-31, 5:15pm
Loving learning

And don't forget you can practice with base colors for some things, and then melting it in you have a blank canvas again.
Old 2017-01-31, 5:21pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Good idea, Eileen! I got some halfway (and I use "half" in a very loose way) decent looking stripes today. Then I tried the spirals....did you know that after you screw up on the spirals, and it looks weird, that you can rake across the bottom half and make eyeballs out of the spirals and it makes a cool looking weird skull?!?!? I think I'm gonna have to give up......

Old 2017-01-31, 6:50pm
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
And don't forget you can practice with base colors for some things, and then melting it in you have a blank canvas again.
That is what I did. I ended up with an interesting multicolored bead. Sorry the pic is so big. I don't know how to make it smaller from my iPad
Attached Images

Old 2017-01-31, 8:42pm
Loving learning

Cool, but I meant if you make the base out of turquoise, make the stripes the same color, melt in and do it again on the newly smooth and one color base.