Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-20, 3:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Wow great beads. Squid I'm glad you got good results from it...Now how do you keep it from deviting? I know you should use just flame but wouldn't that reduce it???
I always thought it was the other way around....maybe my problem with EDP too!
It was worth the wait. I like the barrel bead the best too!
I use a neutral flame and just get rid of the devit after I am done with the bead - for beads that take longer, I periodically heat the bead enough to remove the devit. I struck the TN2 on that bead and of course the Sedona devitted like crazy being held at that temp in the flame. After I got the striking done, I reheated the whole bead gently enough to get a good glow and lose the devit, but not lose my shaping or striking.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-20, 4:07pm
Storm Queen

I used it today for the first time and made some longish tube beads for the first time....wonder why that idea popped into my head? I kept forgetting that the rods were shocking and just kept shoving it right in the flame. I found the devit easy to remove and the colors in the flame looked really pretty. We'll see what I have tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-09-20, 4:07pm
Storm Queen

Oh....and everyone's beads are gorgeous which is why I had to play with it today!

Old 2008-09-20, 5:28pm

Squid - love that barrel shape.
Beadzz - great set, nice range of colors.
Amy - Was yours real shocky? I lay mine on the kiln and it didn't shock once. And the rods we got were thinner than I'm use to. I fully expected to lose a bunch to the frit jar.
Old 2008-09-20, 5:42pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I know I will regret saying this, but my rods weren't shocky.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-20, 5:43pm
Storm Queen

Mine was super shocky and the rods were pretty much normal size. Plus, it boiled easily as I was melting a gather but was fine after that.

Old 2008-09-20, 6:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I did notice a tendency to boil at the initial gather too but after that it was no problem.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 1:28pm
Soft glass addict

Thanks Shane
Mine wasn't shocky and i heated it slowly so it wouldn't boil, it did a bit in the beginning but after that it could take the heat.
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
Old 2008-09-21, 7:45pm
Storm Queen

I almost couldn't get this off the mandrel. I don't know how you guys make those hella long suckers.

Old 2008-09-21, 8:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oooh - nice Amy!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 8:41pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
OMG!! I LOVE this. Would you be willing to say what you did? If not, I sure understand! That is lovely!
Sure....I actually threw two out because they were just mucky icky and one wouldn't even come off the mandrel. Let's see if I remember....I did spacer beads along the mandrel in Sedona and extra silver Van Gogh. Then I added some Silver Cinnamon which only shows up near the top, some dark ivory...and I think that's it. I noticed that the Sedona was turning the dark ivory gray...I don't use EDP very often but does it do that as well? I think the Van Gogh got sucked up as well. I'm still not blown away by this glass but I'll have to play some more.

Old 2008-09-21, 8:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think I see where the silver cinnamon was - very nice!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 8:47pm
Storm Queen

Kimberly, would you share the trick to long beads and getting them off the mandrel? Right now I'm using Blue Sludge Dip and Go. It's awesome stuff so maybe I just need to double dip the mandrels? You should have seen me getting this baby off the mandrel. A vice grip against the kitchen counter and my stomach and I was leaning on that with all my weight so I could use both hands to wedge this baby off. It was almost a lost cause and took about 15 minutes of work.

Old 2008-09-21, 9:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Amy - If you want to try some Fosterfire, let me know - I am mostly using Fusion now and have some FF you can try.

I have never had a stuck bead with FF, but if I ever have a problem with a bead, I drill a hole slightly larger than the mandrel into a scrap of wood, put the mandrel though the hole so that the bead is resting against the wood and the long part of the mandrel is hanging below the wood and then give the end of the mandrel above the bead a light tap tap. It usually doesn't take but 2 or 3 taps to break the bead free.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 10:23pm

We just started using Fusion too. That stuff's awesome. I take most beads off by hand over the trash can. Although I did have to flip my barrel beads with my finger first.
Old 2008-09-21, 10:58pm
Storm Queen

Those are great tips Kimberly and I like your jig idea Sigird ..thanks! I have some Smooth and Tuff in the garage, let me see if it's still any good and I'll let you know Sigrid.

Old 2008-09-22, 12:14am
Oh No You Didn't!

Where do I get Sedona???

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-09-22, 1:21am
Soft glass addict

Mike sells it http://www.frantzartglass.com/ , Paula (flamedame.com), Bill (morettiandmore.com), Reenie (flamekissedglass.com) , Jon (lbsupplys.com) and there are maybe more ppl who sell it
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it

Last edited by Beadzz; 2008-09-22 at 4:45am. Reason: added
Old 2008-09-23, 10:44am
Storm Queen

Well my Smooth and Tuff was just tough....a big ball of hard clay. So I double dipped my mandrels with Blue Sludge, made four very pretty beads and loosened them dry...no prob! They came loose really easy, phew! I did Silver Cinnamon, Sedona, Dark Ivory and Copper Green. On a couple I also added Opal Yellow.

Old 2008-09-23, 1:41pm
Fancy Mammal

Pictures? Pretty please?
Old 2008-09-23, 1:50pm
Storm Queen

Sure...I photograph when it gets dark so I'll post them later on.

Old 2008-09-23, 7:50pm
Storm Queen

I only had time to photograph my favorite one:

Old 2008-09-23, 7:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

beautiful! I made a Sedona and Pandora bead that I am going to try and strike again tomorrow.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-23, 8:01pm
Storm Queen

Thanks! It is fun to just play once in awhile.

Old 2008-10-01, 5:47pm
Storm Queen

Just a heads up....just in case....

The bead above cracked. Unfortunately it didn't happen here at home but decided to wait until it was in it's new home. Lucky for me it was a friend/fellow lampwork artist that got the bead. She said the crack was curved and ran along the seam of two different glasses. I used Sedona, Silver Cinnamon, Copper Green and Dark Ivory. I have a feeling that the Sedona and Silver Cinnamon may not have liked each other. I won't get any torch time until next week so I won't be able to test the two together. I've double checked all my other beads in the sunlight and they all look fine....but they don't have Silver Cinnamon in them. So just a little public service announcement. BTW, this is the first cracked bead that a customer has gotten. Totally sucks.

Old 2008-10-01, 6:25pm
yukue fumei

oh that is so sad Amy--it is such a gorgeous bead!
thanks for the heads up on the potential combo issue....

nagi

Old 2008-10-01, 7:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

ooh - that does indeed suck!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-01, 10:28pm
Fancy Mammal

It was a lovely bead. Sucks that it cracked!
Old 2008-10-02, 2:19am
Oh No You Didn't!

I just got my Sedona yesterday. I'm not impressed yet but I only tried a couple beads and got pretty much the same results as I do with EDP.

I really like Amy's bead though so I have hope. Sorry it cracked, that sucks!

I learned never to use any ASK or CIM colors with my other glass as it pretty much always cracks on me. I wish I'd never wasted my money on them.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-03, 2:48am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I almost couldn't get this off the mandrel. I don't know how you guys make those hella long suckers.

I have this one, and so far it is fine.
When I find my loupe again, I will have another look, but it seems okay.
It has no Silver Cinnamon in it as Amy said, but I adore the color without it.
It really looks this good in person, too.

This bead comforts me.
That might sound silly, but it reminds me of summer vacations as a child going across rt.66
and also all the time I wore a groove in those desert highways
on the road as an adult.
The top lighter gray banding reminds me of a trip my husband and I took to the Navaho and Hopi reservations, when it was stormy.

It's amazing that a piece of art can make you feel so many memories.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann