Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-06-26, 2:42pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default How do you clean your mandrels?

I make a bead and anneal it. Then I take it off the mandrel. When I have 20-30used mandrels I sit down and take a piece of coarse sandpaper and run each mandrel through it a few times to get any remaining bead release off it. Then I wipe off the mandrel with a rag, dip it into bead release and reuse it.

My question is: what does everyone else do?

The way I do it eventually the mandrel will get just a little bit thinner (from several cycles of sandpapering the end clean). I know that it sometimes gets a little thinner because every once in a while I make a bead that the BeadReamer will not fit into! I use 3/32" mandrels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-26, 2:48pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I use a green scrubby.

Soak the mandrels for 5 minutes or so, scrub with scrubby, dry with towel, re-dip. Hundreds at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-26, 2:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I wipe it off under my arm.

Seriously, i just knock it off with my hand and redip.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-26, 2:53pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I've been known to just wipe them off with a towel then re-dipping on occasion. Depends on how much left over bead release is still there though.

Old 2010-06-26, 2:56pm
Gonna get blow'd up!

I dip them in water then wipe with whatever is at hand. Before using any mandrel I use 60 grit sandpaper to scuff them up good

Old 2010-06-26, 3:03pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I don't think you need to scuff them up at all. I've hosted dozens of classes and I've never scuffed, with the hundreds of people who've been through my studio all with their own techniques we've never had a problem with the bead release coming loose (which I'm guessing is the reason why you're scuffing?) But to each their own, if it makes you more comfortable, scuff away!

Old 2010-06-26, 4:18pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Actually the reason why I'm scuffing is because: I'm totally self-taught with beads, so I made my very first few beads (a few years ago), took them off the mandrel, and then looked at the mandrel in terms of 'gotta use it again'. I figured "Dang! man - I don't want to be lazy or sloppy with the tools that I'm working with, so let's keep them clean" and some real rough grit sandpaper would get that little bit of bead release off the mandrel in two or three scuffs. So for that reason, and that reason alone, I've been doing it for years.

And now I'm curious what other beaders do (and why they do what they do)...
Thanks for all helpful (or just funny or 'wise-ass') responses. Gerald Kappel

Old 2010-06-26, 5:29pm
Borovangelist

Steel wool or copper scrubby outside, depending on what I happen to have closest when I need it.

Oh, I scuff up my steel rods because the release runs right off of them if I don't. I don't know about the smaller ones though, been a while since I made a new one

|
|
Old 2010-06-26, 5:39pm
BeadsonCypress

when I have a hundred or so "dirty" ones, I run them under a soft wire wheel on a grinder we have on a stand in the shop......Sometimes I even buff them.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-06-26, 6:06pm

I use a copper chore girl as it won't rust like steel wool will.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-06-26, 10:08pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
I use a copper chore girl as it won't rust like steel wool will.

Sue
True, but I get the cheap stuff

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=&q=steel+wool

I've tried popping the mandrel into a drill and letting it rub up against the steel wool, but if the tip grabs it, look out. Ouchie.

|
|
Old 2010-06-26, 11:48pm
Entropy increasing....

I take the beads off after soaking them in water, then I just use my hand to rub the stuff off under water and Bob's your uncle.
Old 2010-06-27, 1:03am
Alaska Boro

Green 3M scrubby with water. When dry, then 120 grit sandpaper. This removes any build up and keeps the area nice and smooth. Steel wool or a grinder mounted wire brush would be other alternate choices in place of sandpaper.
Old 2010-06-27, 1:10am
Entropy increasing....

You do this every time you take a bead off a mandrel?
Old 2010-06-27, 4:30am

I just get a bunch of them together, like a bundle of firewood, and then roll them against each other over the bin.. works for me

Old 2010-06-27, 4:53am
Pyromaniac

I soak them in vinegar for 3 days then sandblast them . . .

Just Kidding!

seriously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I take the beads off after soaking them in water, then I just use my hand to rub the stuff off under water and Bob's your uncle.
This is exactly what I do.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-06-27, 5:02am
Hobby Junkie

Rub them with my hand under water as I'm taking the bead off. I never clean them any better than that.

Old 2010-06-27, 5:31am
Melting

Soak for a couple minutes, quickly and gently sand with sandpaper, lay on walkway to dry, then re-dip. I kept having problems with my release cracking off and this has helped significantly.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-06-27, 2:26pm

Take the beads out of the kiln, put them in a bowl of water, wipe the wet bead release off the mandrel, remove the bead. Final step: put the mandrels back in the water bowl, and wipe each one off with a new paper towel and set aside to dry.
Never had any problems with beads sticking or mandrels wearing out prematurely.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2010-06-27, 3:17pm

I soak beads and mandrels in warm soapy water to remove them.

Then I hold the mandrels together in a bundle and 'scrub' them against each other then wipe them dry on the teatowel.

seems to remove 99% of old bead release for me.
Old 2010-06-30, 2:50pm

I've never even thought of "cleaning" my mandrels before, I just wipe the kiln wash off with my hands, no soap, no water, no scrubbing... they usually last for a really long time

Old 2010-06-30, 4:19pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I'm beginning to think that the only thing I am accomplishing by scuffing them with the rough sandpaper is I'm shortening their lives. Thank you all for your responses.