Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-06-23, 9:24pm

Default My work space!

Hi! here is my work space when I had the fireworks torch and the second photo is my work space with my minor torch hard plumbed to natural gas and concentrator (as per my gas inspector!)

Last edited by wildwire; 2008-04-12 at 8:39pm.
Old 2005-06-24, 4:17am
Fire Borne

Wow! I'm looking and thinking what a condensed workspace! I've seen other pics of set ups like this and I think the "box" thing is pretty neat. Not sure I could work in one tho'. Question! How easy is it to work with a desk boro sheild like yours? Do they swing out of the way easily? I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanks for sharing and answering my question.

pat
Old 2005-06-24, 6:28am

Shauna what a great work space. Everything is so neat I cant show mine off because it is so not neat! I was curious about that boro shield also.

Laurie
Old 2005-06-24, 8:39am
Crazy Horse Girl

Just love it was it a lot of money to set up that vent sytem you have their ? Gina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-24, 10:06am
Life in the slow lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toozygoot
Question! How easy is it to work with a desk boro sheild like yours? Do they swing out of the way easily? I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanks for sharing and answering my question.

pat
I have the same shield Pat and I love it. It's very easy to swing about, move, around, etc. The base is somewhat heavy so swinging it about doesn't case anything else on the area to move.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-24, 10:23am

Smile

Hi! I call our extra bedroom my studio and my husband laughs everytime I say it! My set up had to be small....My Dad made the frame that is bolted to the desk and he sheeted it in...I bought a hood fan with dual fans and a cfm of 300 - 540 when on full blast which is vented out the window....I love the shield - its just a didi shield tho...I found it worked for me best with the shield as close to my nose as possible...then its out of my way with longer rods of glass and you see more...I wear my old prescription glasses too - I don't think I would have any didi protection if I didn't have the shield - I couldn't stand wearing two sets of glasses...After a while you don't even realize its there until you try to blow the bead release dust off your presses! I think the hood fan cost me $250 cdn...the frame was free (love my Dad!) already had the desk....Had to be extra nice to my husband to put it all together and bolt the desk to the wall and the frame to the desk....so all in all the set up wasn't very expensive at all....I have a make up air coming in behind me....The natural gas hook up was another story....I am the first one in my city! So it took three weeks for the gas fitter to talk the inspector into it! He didn't want to do it at all....so that was $500 cdn and the concentrator $500 cdn and the torch was $150 cdn....so it does add up! I also silver smith so I bought modular box thing that I cut a hole out so I could put it over my torch on the desk and I can then solder and vent the fumes from that too...a bit of a pain - but it works....

To the left I also have another desk where I put my jewelry together and do any other silver smith work that doesn't need venting
I also have extra insurance over and above the regular house insurance that costs approx $700 for the year....

Some day we'll move and I'll have more room for an actual studio....Now that I have things almost like I want them - I think we are going to plan a family and being that I am older and all the research I have done - I probably will have to pack up everything for a year or so....but I don't want to leave anything to chance regarding a child!

Thanks for your interest in my little cubby hole!