LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-09, 3:19pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Default La Casita Bolita Beadliner - ???

Anyone heard of or use this? I'm still in the middle of my beadliner dilemma. I've had a Jim Moore (too big and heavy) and an Impress (I kept breaking the beads). I ended up selling them both because I decided I would just glue in the sterling inserts. THEN..... my beads were picked-up by a local jewelry shop that gets lots of business and tourist action and sells Troll beads. She loves my beads and she's having an open house and anniversary local artisan show a month or so from now and she wants to feature my beads! Advertising, mailings, the works. So now, I don't want to sell my beads with glue in inserts, because I'm worried they'll look poopy. And I'm back to the whole beadliner dilemma.

I have arthritis in my hands and I was going to get the Retro liner, but I read a review someone posted on here that said they have arthritis in their hands, and working the Retro is like unscrewing/screwing a jar, which is hard to do for me. I'm thinking I should just buy another Impress (kicking myself in the butt for selling the first one) and patiently work through the process until I can wham! bam! crank those babies out like lottsa other glass artists can do with the Impress. It's not the tool, it's the tool user (moi). I know this.

BUT THEN..... I came across this 'lil gem! The "This Might Be The One For Me" La Casita Bolita beadliner. Looks easy, has a compact presentation (did I mention I'll be taking it on a train every Saturday while my kid is in music school in NYC? Gotta have something to do while I wait).

Anyone have input?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-09, 3:24pm
I fart diamonds

I've seen similar ones and even made one, but not this specific brand. Not as easy to use as the Retro bead liner, but not difficult to use, either.

ETA: This would probably be easier for you than the Retro because it has a bar to turn, rather than a round handle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-09, 5:31pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Wow it looks compact and easier. I have the empress but have broken 2 out of four beads. . How much is this one?

Old 2013-10-09, 5:39pm
Tweedle Dumb

Impress all the way, here.

I broke plenty when I started with it, but now I might bust 1 in 100.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-10-10, 4:19am

I too tend to break beads with the Impress. And I very often get the tubing pushed to one side, which results in a lopsided core. Any tips ? I don't know this beadliner but it definitely looks interesting.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-10-10, 5:36am
one day at a time

Where can you buy it? I don't see any links for price and purchase.
Old 2013-10-10, 5:45am
sunscreen me baby

Those of you breaking beads on the Impress - Are you doing 1/4 turns and flipping after each turn? When you get to the end are you only giving a 1/8th turn to just make it tight? Is your bead uniform in thickness for hole to hole? If you have a high point of glass that is snug before the rest and continue to squeeze the pressure will break or chip the bead.

Anne, I would suspect you are trying to flare too much on your first or second "squish". Try smaller increments of turning each flip.

~

Old 2013-10-10, 5:46am
sunscreen me baby

As for the bead liner posted, I would think it should work fine. Please let us know if it does.

~

Old 2013-10-10, 6:27am
Tweedle Dumb

I noticed with my impress that it didn't flare evenly. So now I pay close attention to my tool position and adjust the core to the right position before I turn.

For example, my impress has a #10 on one side. I always work with that facing away from me.

I noticed that the #10 side of the tube I was flaring, was flaring at a different rate than the side closest to me. So, when I flip, I make sure the "high spot" on the tube is closest to me, and each flip there after... high spot closest to me.

I also do 1/2 turns for the first 3-4 turns then go to 1/4 turns until it tightens up. Then I snug it up with teeny tiny turns while spinning the bead on the peg.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2013-10-11 at 5:24am.
Old 2013-10-10, 7:09am

I'm using this beadliner for years and I'm happy with it. It's easy to use, a light weight and you can take it with you where ever you want to.
See the shop link http://www.glasperlenkunst.ch/Shop/
or send a mail to Beat Hadorn the shop owner info@glasperlenkunst.ch I'm sure he will help you.

Old 2013-10-10, 7:31am

Thanks for the review, Daniela.

Mimi
Old 2013-10-11, 3:25am

Thanks for the tips, I'll try again.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-10-11, 4:42am
Mad about Glass

Can't go past my Retro Tools bead liner - have never had a problem.

[url]

Old 2013-10-11, 4:53am

Youpi, I finally managed to core a bead with a lip with my Impress. Thanks for the tips Jamie, I was getting very frustrated with that uneven flaring !
Attached Images

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-10-11, 5:25am
Tweedle Dumb

YEAH!!!!

Old 2013-10-11, 5:37am

I wonder if all liners do that uneven flairing or if it's only the Impress. I suspect the bottom screws may not be perfectly centered but I might be wrong.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-10-11, 5:38am

I totally agree with Suzy regarding the Impress! Start with 1/4 turns and flipping the bead! Towards the end you really need to baby it along. As far as the retro bead liner I've never heard any complaints like what was mentioned here.

This past July at the Gathering JenneRebecca almost had me buying one with her "sales pitch:" and she doesn't even work for them! It was towards the end of the Gathering with less funds than I had started so I didn't purchase it.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-10-11, 5:57am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
I totally agree with Suzy regarding the Impress! Start with 1/4 turns and flipping the bead! Towards the end you really need to baby it along. As far as the retro bead liner I've never heard any complaints like what was mentioned here.

This past July at the Gathering JenneRebecca almost had me buying one with her "sales pitch:" and she doesn't even work for them! It was towards the end of the Gathering with less funds than I had started so I didn't purchase it.

Duane
Duane, I had the Retro and it is super easy to use. I only sold mine because I needed $$ and I hardly used it.

Old 2013-10-11, 6:53am
Tweedle Dumb

I always blamed the cone flaring thing being a little wobbly, and the threads on the tool pushing it at an ever so slight angle when pressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
I wonder if all liners do that uneven flairing or if it's only the Impress. I suspect the bottom screws may not be perfectly centered but I might be wrong.

Old 2013-10-11, 7:38am
Feminist Killjoy

Very intriguing! Their site is pretty difficult to navigate, even after translation, but here is the item in the shop: http://www.glasperlenkunst.ch/Shop/default.htm
Old 2013-10-11, 8:04am
one day at a time

Am I missing something? Because I still don't see any way to purchase it. Are they sold out?? Does anyone know if this tool is less expensive than the others? Counting in the cost of shipping, of course.

These types of beads are not going out style and I need to step up my game. I can make them but I really don't think I should be selling them without a core.
Old 2013-10-11, 8:40am
Feminist Killjoy

Darn. I copied and pasted it exactly, but the site goes to some weird default, I guess. You have to view it in German, rather than translated, for some reason. Random clicking until you find the right page. I managed to find a contact email on their Classes page. Sent them an inquiry. We'll see..
Old 2013-10-11, 9:01am

I think this works the same way as the Impress -- with the turns to flare. It seems like you'd have the same problem.

I have the Impress and do super tiny turns -- 1/8th or less, and flip a lot. I've only cracked 2. One had a bump and one when I wanted it just a little tighter.

Old 2013-10-11, 10:39am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteCuntrary View Post
Darn. I copied and pasted it exactly, but the site goes to some weird default, I guess. You have to view it in German, rather than translated, for some reason. Random clicking until you find the right page. I managed to find a contact email on their Classes page. Sent them an inquiry. We'll see..
Thanks!
Old 2013-10-13, 9:21pm
Gay rights R human rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Wow it looks compact and easier. I have the empress but have broken 2 out of four beads. . How much is this one?
I kept breaking beads on the impress until I watched the instructional video on his site. Havent broken a bead since. The key is the bead placement on the tube.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2013-10-14, 2:07am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteCuntrary View Post
http://www.glasperlenkunst.ch/Shop/default.htm
You click on Werkzeuge, Zubehör , then Werkzeuge
there is no direct link

..no idea what it says though lol
Old 2013-10-14, 6:00am
Certified Glassaholic!

I have both Jim Moore's tool and the Impress and have never broken a bead. I think if you're having a high rate of breakage either it's bead positioning or bead shape. I've not had problems with uneven flaring either. Is your tubing cut straight? (Silly question I know but have to ask).

Hope you find a solution! The german tool looks interesting

Old 2013-10-14, 6:23am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
http://www.glasperlenkunst.ch/Shop/default.htm
You click on Werkzeuge, Zubehör , then Werkzeuge
there is no direct link

..no idea what it says though lol
Thanks!

Here it is translated:

La Casita Bolita Beadliner set
La Casita Bolita Beadliner complete set
incl. fine cut saw and Ausreiber.

In order to line the pearl canals with silver pipe.
Suitable for Silberrohre of 3 to 5 mms
Completely with 6 Auftreibern, 2 per size and a small one and a big level application.

Detailed operating instructions are provided.

suitable Silberrohre find under smart accessories-> silver 925

suitable pearl thorn for Pandorastyle pearls finds them under tools, accessories-> pearl thorn

Set price 180 Frs instead of 193 Frs
Old 2013-10-15, 12:28pm

I've broken my fair share of beads on my Impress by trying to get the flares as tight as possible. I read somewhere to not flare the edges with the Impress all the way down tight - take them off just before that point and hammer the flares the rest of the way down with a little rawhide mallet (I got mine at Rio Grande I think). I thought the mallet would damage the glass but it doesn't. This method works pretty well for me.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-10-15, 4:33pm
Just Plain

Try this link
http://www.glasperlenkunst.ch/Beadliner/Beadliner1.htm