No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-24, 5:15am

Default Silver Spreading Question

Hi,

How do you keep silver from spreading over your transparent color? I want to do a silver bead with sharp lines in between the different dotted colors. Instead what I get is "webbing" that takes over and completely takes over my color. In the end, all it is a bead with darkish webbing and small pin holes of color, barely noticeable.

Thanks in advance,
Jody
Old 2006-07-24, 7:46am

here is my guess, thicker silver... that really is only a guess!
Old 2006-07-25, 4:45am

Jody -- Can you post a pic, please? I can't get a good picture in my mind of what you mean by the silver "webbing" all over your transparent bead. (You are talking about silver leaf, right? One layer, right? Not multiple layers?) Which transparent color is your base bead? What color are your dots that you want to keep distinct? I've got to try to reproduce this to see what's happening!

It may be that the silver leaf is fuming the rest of the bead, hiding the colors. But that tends to give an overall sheen. Not a web look.

Hmmm!

JanMD
Old 2006-07-25, 4:36pm

Hi JanMD,

I will try to find one I did and get a pict for you. It is not really a transparent bead. I will start with a color than put dark ivory or just start with dark ivory. Then apply silver (leaf, mostly but sometimes foil). Then dot with color (eg. aqua, greens, ambers) then shape. But as I am rounding the bead, the silvered ivory starts to spread over my transparent color (aqua, etc) and it just seems to take over. Any help would be great!!

Thanks so much!!
Old 2006-07-25, 6:21pm

I think it is the ivory that is doing it, not the silver. I would think not heating it as hot or long would help.

PS - Light Aqual does not stick to silver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-07-25, 6:55pm

I am inclined to agree with Lara. Try changing your base color to something else and see what happens.
Old 2006-07-26, 1:49pm

Thank you so much for giving me suggestions!! I did try another color besides dk ivory and it worked. It did stop this dreaded webbing. I do have to experiment a little more to see if I have the effect I want, but I really appreciate all your help

Thanks to all!!!
Old 2006-07-27, 5:35am

Aha!! Aha!! So the base bead is ivory or dark ivory? I'll betcha what's happening is that the transparent color is sinking down into the surface of the ivory and getting swallowed up. So whatever is happening on the ivory (the webbing) is taking over the whole show.

I'm glad another base color worked better.

Lydia, which base colors did you try? Which ones did you like best?

JanMD