Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-06-22, 7:57am
Anna Duhame

Default Easy Spiral Impression Tool-tutorial

First, I want to say that in no way am I saying this is better than any press out there. I wanted to get a press, but I was getting tired of waiting until I could afford to buy it. This tool works just right for me, and now I get to get a different press (there were so many good ones to choose from!).

Materials Needed:

18 gauge Florist STEM wire (mandrel wire would be even more durable)
Roundnose pliers
flatnose or regular pliers
wire cutters

__________________________________________________ _______________

Using your roundnose pliers carefully create a spiral or other shape that you want pressed into your bead.

Bend back the wire to form a "handle"-think branding iron

cut excess wire so the handle is 5 to 6 inches long.

Here is my first finished bead embossed with this tool:

I used lt silver plum.

This is so easy, I feel almost embarrassed to post it, but I thought some of you might want to try it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-22, 8:02am
Oooooh Baby!

pretty cool, thanks!

Old 2006-06-22, 8:16am

I have something similiar on my work space- I also got another great texture with a meat tenderizer- to make the waffle. I had that one before texture plates- but my spiral was after oohing at the gallery photos

great tutorial!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-06-22, 8:19am
Does it come in Purple???

Cool - I love tools you don't have to buy - not that there is anything wrong with buying tools.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-06-22, 8:28am
Anna Duhame

I know it is nice to save where you can so you can spend more on other things!

Old 2006-06-22, 8:29am
Eight Miles Wide

That is great, Anna! Thanks!

Old 2006-06-22, 8:35am

Default Great idea!

You clever person, now I will have to try it and maybe make another design or two, also. Thanks Peg M
Old 2006-06-22, 8:43am
Senior Moment

That is so cool! Love it! Thank you for the info.

Old 2006-06-22, 8:47am
Who me?

WOW, why didn't I think of that - very cool idea you have there. Heading to the wire and the meat tenderizer.
Old 2006-06-22, 10:14am
On a good hair day.

What a wonderful idea! It opens up all kinds of possibilities! Thanks Anna,

Patricia

Old 2006-06-22, 12:14pm
Anna Duhame

I am glad that people seem to think it is a good idea! I made a "feather" shaped one for my bird beads and also a round one...next I am planning to try for a triskellion shape, might need a soldering iron to get that one right.

Old 2006-06-22, 12:27pm

A really great tool. I will try that one. Also try a star or some such. Yes great tut. Thanks so much. I give it five stars because we are allways looking for tools. That is just the right type also.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-06-22, 12:37pm
Glass my new Obsession

Very cool!
Old 2006-06-22, 4:22pm
Got space flowers?

Hey Anna,

that is really great!! I was always thinking about to use other stuff
to get this look. But I didn't thought about that *LOL*

I have to try it

Thanks and have a nice day!
Karin

Karin

Old 2006-06-22, 9:00pm
*glass spaz*

Great job Anna! Very inventive, and the bead you showed here that you made is just gorgeous!

Old 2006-06-23, 8:59am
Looking for Spock's Brain

Anna, Wonderul!

What an inventive idea! I've got a whole roll of 18 gauge stainless practice wire that I bought when I first started wire wrapping. Now I very seldom use it. I can't wait to go make some shapes.

Thank you so much for sharing this great idea!

Joyce

Old 2006-06-23, 9:32am
Anna Duhame

I am so glad I posted this then! I wasn't sure what you all would think, because it is so cheap and soooo easy. Opens lots of possibilities!

Thanks Marci!

Old 2006-06-23, 9:42am
HourGlass Studio

Thats just awsome - great thinking on your part !!!

Old 2006-06-23, 12:17pm
Hot Rod Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3172
I am so glad I posted this then! I wasn't sure what you all would think, because it is so cheap and soooo easy. Opens lots of possibilities!

Thanks Marci!
Cheap and easy...usually makes me think of other things, not great solutions that don't cost a lot, lol. I think I'll try this over the weekend. Thanks a bundle...I'm spending way too much on supplies right now, don't even want to think about presses yet, so this is a great option!
Old 2006-06-23, 3:26pm

Good idea, hummingbird. It would probably work well with enamels too.
Old 2006-06-24, 3:14pm

Tried it, loved it. Thanks

Old 2006-06-24, 6:27pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

I would have never thought of that - Thank you so much, I can't wait to try it.

--Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-06-26, 9:32am

Anna,
I was actually comtemplating buyin a tool to emboss spirals. Thanks so much. Now I get to get something else too.

Joyce

Old 2006-06-26, 8:52pm
Anna Duhame

I am so glad that this is working well for people! The sites that sell the spiral embossing tools have so many great things to buy, I know I wanted a spiral, but I also know I might get more use out of a more practical (for me) tool.

You can use flat nose pliers to make a kind of square spiral too, which looks cool or a triangular spiral.

Old 2006-06-27, 11:35pm
Dangerous Woman

I don't know what florist stem wire or mandrel wire are. Can you substitute another kind of wire?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-06-28, 6:04am
Anna Duhame

Hi Nancy,
If the wire can handle the very hot bead, then you can use other kinds. The stem wire that I used can be bought at any Wal-mart or craft store for only a few bucks. You can find it in the floral department and it comes in packages of long straight wires. I tried using 1/16th Mandrel wire the other day and it really did NOT want to bend!

Old 2006-06-28, 7:24am
yukue fumei

awesome idea!
thanks so much for posting this!
Old 2006-06-28, 7:50am

Thanks fo posting! That seems like an idea we all should have thought of..DUH!

That will open us up to a lot of ideas...COOL!

THANK YOU!!

Old 2006-06-28, 8:34am
Life in MA is *wicked!*

Hi Anna,

Thank you so very much for this! I am saving up for a spiral press that Andrea Guarino is selling, ($100) but this will allow me to play in the mean time! Great tutorial and generous of you to share!

Hugs,
Erika

Old 2006-06-28, 9:52am

Default Great!

Been thinking about doing this for some time and now you have forced me into getting busy and see what I can come up with as I love to make tools.

Bet the small hole puntuated screen that I got for my my kiln to hold rods would make a great pattern to push down on a bead or a long bicone bead rolled on it. Off to the garage to look around and see what else I can find to make textures.

Will have to take a look at my kitchen tools as well. Bet you could stab a bunch of dents in a pattern with just using a old stainless dinner fork such as making a border design on a pressed bead. Could turn a stainless spoon upside down and press a series of small arches with the tip in a design down the middle.

Hmm! Always willing to take a risk. Wonder if any of the ton of cake decorating tips I have would hold up against hot glass. I have some heavy duty ones from 35 or 40 years ago. There are some great patterns in cake decorating tips. Probably have to grip them with pliers as you press as they may heat up pretty fast and keep dipping them in cold water.

Thanks for getting my brain out of cruise control, Peg M