LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-12-03, 7:36pm
GLAAAAASS!!

Default Pig tutorial?

Ive seen alot of pig beads and they look so awesome! Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains how to make them? Thanks
-Nathan
Old 2007-12-05, 11:33pm
Corgi Cult Member

I think alot of peeps here on LE like our pork to have the personality that only Gelly seems to be able to give them, so I don't think there are any tutorials. Her pigs never fail to make me smile and I hope to own one someday!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-11, 6:30pm

I am not a pig expert but I can tell you I have been working on the m for over a year and can not get the personality down right. It is PPP. Then one of those AH HA moments mixed in. Go to www.smartassglass.com It is Sharon Peter's site and just study what she does it gave me a lot of ideas and new theories to try. She also has a rockin' fish tutorial. At this point if you want a pig buy one of Gelly's -- they talk to you -- honest!
Jen
Old 2007-12-11, 6:55pm
Satake Woman!

Maybe I can help. Make a big fat pink bead. Add a tail and a squeal. Voila, a pig! Ok, maybe I can't help. That is why my hubby does the sculptural stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-12-11, 8:12pm

I tried a pig once. It was no where as cute as Gelly's. In fact I pretty much decided I wouldn't try another one until I own one of here.

Anyway, I went the round pink bead, round head, flat nose and a tail. It looked about as exciting as it sounds.
Old 2007-12-12, 11:58am
Anna Duhame

I have a Gelly-pig...OMG it is darling.

Most sculptural beads start out as a round or oval...then add pig parts....I also like making animals out of tab shaped beads. I did a pig once...it looked like a pig, yet, once again, it did not have the personality of one of Gelly's.

Old 2007-12-12, 2:32pm

Nikki has a sheep tutorial here (somewhere)...I imagine you could take that one, & add "pig parts" instead of "sheep wool" & parts (as Nikki makes PIGS too & cows, & llammas & fainting goats & shragons...& um, I have a monkey...she made ONE, ONCE....and a lemur...and cats...and um...I'll shut up now before she kills me....) and of course, Gelly is the Princess of all things "Pork"--her piglets are adorable! In fact, there should be one waiting in my mailbox for me today!! I won it on eBay (omg, now I'm going to sing that d**m song for the rest of the night....)
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-12-12, 2:46pm

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4437
Here's the sheep tut. I dug it up from the back of this forum....of course, no one can make the sheeps quite like Nikki's either...hers are just tooo darned cute! (and yeah, they "talk" too!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-12-14, 9:42am
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks everyone!!

I've never written a tut before... was supposed to do one for Glassline, but I never did manage to do it. I guess I'm lazy, it seemed too much like "work" to write the article.

Here is a quicky tut for a basic pig.

1.) Make a round or donut shaped bead for the body. (if it's a little wonky, that's ok, even better sometimes!)

2.) Depending on the size of the body, melt a blob in proportion to the body for the head.
If your bead is perfectly round and balanced, you can put the head wherever you want. If it's a little wonky, place the molten head blob on the smaller/thinner side of the bead. The fatter/thicker side will be his rump and helps to counterbalance the weight of the head.

3.) Melt the head/blob into a nice ball and then flatten to the body.

4.) Holding the mandrel with the head pointing down, melt smaller blobs for legs/feet. Attach four around the bottom of the bead. I usually add the front feet first, using the head as my guideline for where to place the legs. Then I use the front legs to line up the back ones.

5.) Melt in the leg blobs so they are attached well (if you need to add more glass for longer/thicker legs, go ahead and add more... then melt in again)

6.) I let the legs set up a bit, then heat just the bottoms of the legs/feet and use a knife or some other tool to flatten the bottoms and make them level. I do the front feet together and then the back feet. (If your bead was round/even to begin with, then it is probably off balance now due to the weight of the head. In this case, I make the front legs a bit longer than the back legs so it will stand straight)

7.) Heat his rump and use a stringer to draw on his tail.

8.) If you want him to smile, heat the flattened face and use a little chisel tool to crease in the smile. I usually have to spot heat and crease several times to get the whole smile done, but if your torch is hotter, you may be able to do it all at once.

9.) Melt a thick stringer blob for the nose and place it above the smile.

10) Use thin black stringer to dot on the eyes.

11) Heat and flatten the eyes to make sure they are attached well.

12) Heat and flatten (just a bit) the nose blob, then reheat just the tip of the nose and use tweezers to make the nostril holes.

13) Heat blobs of thick stringer for the ears and attach to the top sides of his head.

14) Melt them in so they are attached well.

15) Use pliers/tweezers/masher to pinch the ears.

16) Use flat tool of some sort to flatten the edges of the pinched ears into pointed piggy ears.

Remember to keep the whole thing heated at all times!!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-12-14, 10:28am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

This is very generous of you Gelly. Thank you .
But as for me I think I will leave the piggy making up to you !
I like to think of your piggies as sacred as kimberly's sea horses .
Psss the girls still haven't been able to talk me out of Cheer Pig

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2007-12-15, 5:55pm
just plain silly

Thank you for sharing this with us Gelly! Your pigs are the cutest ever!!!!

Suzanne
Old 2007-12-16, 11:47am
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
This is very generous of you Gelly. Thank you .
But as for me I think I will leave the piggy making up to you !
I like to think of your piggies as sacred as kimberly's sea horses.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-12-16, 3:03pm
Isinglass Design

Thanks, Gelly. I make pigs, but they don't have those cute faces! Nice of you to share.

Laurie
Old 2007-12-17, 8:48am

Gelly ---- I love you! This is a perfect example of you can give a woman a tutorial but you can't give her the "piggy magic". LOL I tried, but my piggy -- well let's just say she is an alien now! LOL. BTW, went to the post office today and all the HAM-lin girls were wearing the pigs! It was just too darn cute! Hugs and happy holiday to you.
Jen
Old 2007-12-18, 3:17pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Janelyn & Kay, I think you are both nuts for thinking my pigs are anywhere near as sacred as Kimberly's seahorses... but it sure was a nice thing to say!!!

Jen, I LOVE pig aliens. Hugs to you too, hope you are having a great holiday season. Tell the Hamlin girls I said "oink!"

If anyone has any questions about the tut, feel free to ask. Like I said, I have never written one before, so I hope it all makes sense.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-12-19, 11:15am
It's all about the color.

I happen to have my Gelly Pig in my studio watching my every move - and she brings me a smile every time I look at her. Anyone who can do that with glass is tops on my list. Between my Gelly Pig and my Nikki Sheep, I can't help but grin from ear to ear every time I sit down to work - which I'll be doing in just a few minutes.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-12-30, 1:05am
GLAAAAASS!!

Awesome, thanks for the help
I'm gonna try them as soon as i get pink glass