LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-26, 11:05am
Hot Glass Neophyte

In spite of how it acts on a mixed torch, I have found that CIM Clear is GREAT to use on a Hothead Torch. It melts easily and gives a clear coat.
Old 2013-09-26, 4:23pm
Senior Moment

You know, I have to say when I started torching CIM Clear was my first choice. Loved it. But I've noticed the last couple of batches I got (about a year ago) are different. It soots up almost immediately, even after a good wipe down with vinegar, which never happened previously with or without a vinegar wipe. It's actually the junk clear that I use for underneath other colors and for punties now.

I do not use it hot (which can be sorta tough on a HH anyway unless you really crank it up), and no, I'm not interested in pickling it.

And, it too turns silver yellow for me LOL

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-26, 4:44pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

You may be right Alli. This past year some of the CIM Clear I have gotten has had a film on it. It's clean and in paper as usual, but when I put it in the flame it clouds over...

I returned it once because the entire amount I got clouded over in the flame. Some is fine and some does this. Does anyone know what this indicates?

Old 2013-09-27, 5:14pm
Senior Moment

That's exactly what happens with my CIM clear Kristina. I wonder if they changed the recipe or are getting ingredients from a different supplier? Or maybe even something about the atmosphere in the factory/warehouse is affecting things?

Just thinking out loud.

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-27, 7:40pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

It doesn't seem to be consistent though. Some orders are fine, and some have the cloudiness... maybe someone has some idea on it? I would hate to have to pickle it when it looks clear to avoid it.
Old 2013-09-27, 8:40pm

When worked slowly in high oxy it is just bareable

Old 2013-09-27, 10:01pm
Senior Moment

Yeah, like that's an option for me *sticks her tongue at her HH; I love ya baby, but I have other needs you know!*

Alli

Old 2013-09-28, 4:23am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Well, I have to say that CIM Clear is still my favorite Clear for Hothead use until I find it's match - due to the softness and optical clarity. I will struggle along with it when I get the cloudy batches and return them I guess.

So far I have found that the other optically clear Clears out there are either more pricy or harder to encase with on a Hothead. It does boil right now on my Cricket though.

Old 2013-09-29, 12:02am
Naysayer

The problems I had with some rods lately were not boiling, it's very odd, they instantly turn almost white it's so bubbly. Like it doesn't even get a chance to get hot, it's as soon as you hit the flame. So it's not even a matter of working higher and cooler.
I used it on my HH and cricket. So I think it's something with the formula or something, I really did like it.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2013-09-29 at 12:04am.
Old 2013-09-29, 5:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I guess the rising cost of everything may be a factor... maybe CIM Clear's formula has been changed.

I can tell quickly if it is going to cloud over, so I put that rod aside and try another one. Has anyone found a way to clean it that gets rid of the cloudiness?
Old 2013-10-23, 11:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Flame chemistry may also play a role here Melissa. I'm on a HH, and every clear I've used so far (Effetre, CIM, DH, Uroboros) have all turned silver foil yellow gold when I've put the gather on too hot. I've never used Aether.

Alli
I think I got it! I've been reading through the 2nd volume of contemporary lampworking, and Bandhu Dunham mentions that "heating silver foil in a slightly reducing flame gives it a more amber/yellow color which can sometimes produce a convincing and inexpensive substitute for gold."

In your case, it's not necessarily the clear glass that's making it turn yellow, but the reducing flame environment. You might have noticed it more when working hotter because hotter flames require more propane or working closer to the most reducing area of the flame (close to the torch face).

In other words, when you work hot on your hothead, you are turning the silver yellow; it's not even the clear that's yellowing (unless it's one of the reactive clears that does yellow).

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-10-23 at 1:55pm.
Old 2013-10-23, 3:06pm
Naysayer

That makes sense.

As for how to stop the bubbling, no..since it seems to be in the rod itself. I mean, as soon as we put it to flame we can see it, I think it's not fixable ?

I found something I like about those rods though if anyone wants to sell their bubbly rods!
Old 2013-10-23, 6:15pm
Senior Moment

It does make sense. Except the clear does yellow as well LOL if I use a reduction glass inside a bead, reduce and encase hot in clear, there's often a yellow "fog" around it (not sure what to call it).

And sorry Raven; used it all for punties LOL

Old 2013-10-26, 9:17am
Artistically Absorbed

I think clears seem to vary in batches. I have the first run clear in CIM, and it is okay. It wouldn't make my top two though. I really like Reichenbach clear for stiff applications, and Double Helix Zephyr for soft application. Aether is really nice too, but It is reactive so I don't use it as much. I have heard rave reviews for Tag Clarity too, but I have never tried it since I have been happy with the ones I just mentioned.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-11-01, 2:45pm

Here is some quick chemistry: silver in glass passes yellow and bounces blue. This is true in fuming, in transparent silvered colors, as well as with clear glass over silver foil. The reason it looks more silvery when the clear is applied cooler is that less of the silver is sublimating into the clear. When you apply the clear hotter, the two interact more, chemically, and you see the golden effect.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2013-11-01, 3:36pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Jenny. That is a neat explanation.
Old 2013-11-04, 11:51am

Hey Everyone! I came across so I thought I would put in my two cents. CiM has been my favorite clear for a long while since I feel like I can trust it with most all glasses knowing it will get along without cracks. I received a batch recently and noticed it was much scummier than before. I put in a call to Kathy and she had said the formula is still the same. I pickled my glass since I have the means to do so and that fixed the scumminess. You do still need to take care not to over heat thin pieces like stringer though. I posted a quick blog on pickling with a few adjustments from the Frantz tutorial. Here is the link to my blog post http://www.geneabeads.blogspot.com/2...r-crystal.html xo Genea

Genea Crivello
"Enlightened Art for the Awakened Soul"
Old 2013-11-05, 12:10am
Naysayer

Well that's just weird then, as I said I used it since it came out, but last year I (and others above) have the trouble of scum with some rods. My rods are still wrapped before I use them.

Honestly some rods bubble as it hits the flame, before it's even worked or hot, you know to pull the first bit off. I've since found a use for those rods, so I'm ok lol.
Old 2013-11-05, 7:40pm

I love the super clear but hate regular CIM clear. I too use it underneath colors to stretch them.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2013-11-09, 1:11pm

Yeah, I have experienced more problems with scum since some of the older batches as well. I messaged Kathy and she had told me the formula was the same. Weird. I pickled a bit longer and the rods stay clear unless over heated(like when you heat a thin tip of glass). Awww sorry to hear that :/ I am thinking about trying some of DH's clears and I heard Uroboro's also has a 104 that is supposed to be really nice. I am on the hunt for crystal clear glass always so I will definitely try what's out there.

I just recently used CiM clear as a core under Sunburst Coral and it works amazingly to keep the huge focals from cracking! Maybe you can use what you have for things like that?? xo Genea

Genea Crivello
"Enlightened Art for the Awakened Soul"
Old 2013-11-10, 10:35am
Beadmaking.nl

I have had always scum with the cim clear. Now I use reichenbach clear and the superclear 006 stringers.

Old 2013-11-11, 3:56pm
Shelarious

I pulled some of my CiM clear yesterday and was using it for a base, but it was so incredibly bubbly I didn't know how safe it would be. It's kind of a neat effect, actually. I know you are supposed to work it cool & I admittedly kind of roasted it.

Old 2013-11-12, 12:05am
Naysayer

lol I know, that's why I like it, it reminds me of baking soda beads without using it