Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-09-18, 9:47pm

Default Help is 42 in to high for a booth height

I am doing a christmas bazaar and there is a option of having a table that is 42 in high. To me it seems so high. Is that to high for jewelry to be displayed.
I usually use glass cubes on regular height tables. When I used a tape measure to check where the table top comes to it was right to my chest. If you have someone short I would think it would be hard for them to see things. Please help I need to send this in right away. Thanks for your help
Lori
Old 2006-09-18, 9:59pm
Looking for Spock's Brain

I can see that it might be a problem for some, but I'm 5'8" & a 42" table would be about at my waist. I would kill to have a 42 inch high table. My back absolutely breaks after doing a three day festival. Leaning over a 30" table is excruciating!

And a table that high is easy for adults to reach but hard for little fingers. At my last show I had a difficult time with some kids who wanted to play marbles with my beads.

All my tables & benches in my studio are 40" high. My DH made my big cutting table & torch bench. I made the stands for my glass saw & grinders. The height makes it easier for me to work.

Now if I could only get kitchen counters that high. Sigh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-18, 10:27pm
Flame Dames Rule!

If it's too high, people in wheelchairs won't be able to see your work. I get a standard table and raise it up 6" with bed risers, and it's high enough that standing customers dont' have to bend and sitting customers can still see the stuff. *s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2006-09-19, 1:08am

Way too high. 36" is good.
Old 2006-09-19, 3:40am
Ruri Glass Studio

I have to differ. I use 42" at Bead & Button. I asked people on a wheel chair and they all said that they could see.
Old 2006-09-19, 4:08am
Ready for my close up...

I think 42" is great too!!!! I used it in chicago this past weekend, and in tucson the last weekend - people loved it and people in wheelchairs could mostly see and I made sure to offer to lower trays for those in wheelchairs, no one seemed to mind. As a matter of fact I got lots of compliments from the shoppers about the height!

Old 2006-09-19, 4:19am
Ruri Glass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Circle
As a matter of fact I got lots of compliments from the shoppers about the height!
Yes, I did, too.
Old 2006-09-19, 4:34am
Mr. Cellophane

When cereal companies stock shelves at the grocery stores they get the most bang for the buck if they stock at around eye level.
When you go into a high end fine jewelry store all the cases are set at a high level..so customers can lean in to see the product.
IMHO you should alway have your table at least 42" in height.
Go for it.
________
Pissing Pussy

Last edited by Libby L.; 2011-03-30 at 3:39am.
Old 2006-09-19, 4:43am

Just think about this, Kitchen cabinets are standard 36". I'm 5'9" and that is fine for me . I think 42" is going to be hard for short people and wheel bound people to really shop.
Just my two cents thrown in.
Old 2006-09-19, 2:13pm

My goodness, you all must be quite tall. I find this interesting. I am 5'2", top of my armpits are at 43". It's one thing to have a shelf up at that height and even higher but the flat wide table top? I love a raised table but at 42" I feel like I am resting my chin on the table trying to shop........I just move on, especially at busy shows where the seller doesn't have time to deal with every shopper individually.

Average US female height is a bit under 5' 4" so while I am short I am not that much shorter than the average female shopper.
Old 2006-09-19, 2:41pm
Ruri Glass Studio

Hey, I'm 5' (in short person's inches) but have no problem with 42" table. 42" would be lower than armpit because at shows you are wearing shoes. It's more like resting your busts (which I can't or don't have to do.)

If you get a 42" table you have to have a tall stool. I can be taller when I sit on a stool than when I stand.
Old 2006-09-19, 6:45pm

No I measured to see where it would hit me. I always wear flats so height from shoes is minimal.

This discussion though does reveal that no matter the height someone isn't going to be crazy about it.
Old 2006-09-20, 5:55am

For what it's worth, 42 inches is pretty much the standard height for a bar.

Robert