LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-03-12, 5:36pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Sorry for the trouble Charmaine.
One good thing is that thanks to the complain I learned about this tutorial.
Purchased it, love it, and posted a positive feedback
Now I will have to work on adjusting my encasing technique so I get rid of these damn bubbles.
Thanks!

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-12, 8:59pm
lurking on LE since 2005

glad I can help! (I really do hate bubbles)

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2010-03-12, 10:28pm
Formerly FishBulb

I have no advice regarding the snarky feedback, but I'm another happy Charmaine-tut-buyer. This was the first tutorial I bought, and I even RAOGK'ed it to someone else; I purchased two, and Charmaine sent me one and sent the other to the other person.

I love the technique. In addition to encasing, I've also used it to thinly encase transparents with silver glasses for some interesting effects.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-03-13, 1:54am
one day at a time

Charmaine,

The world and our community as well, (unfortunately so) is full of bitches and a few assholes here and there too. People are so stressed and worry so much now about how they spend their money that they are expecting miracles to unfold every time they whip out that credit card.

I'm sure that your tutorial is worth plenty more than you charge for it, so I hope no more customers like this buy from you. What a fkn kick in the teeth! You try to do something good and helpful for someone, and then they have a real nice way of showing their appreciation. People like this, you would never want to meet in real life!

Encasing is hard, and so hard that many of us never bother to learn it. So what I want to know is that if this person already knew how to encase, why did they bother with buying your tutorial?? They expected the "miracle", the "big answer" to encasing. Geez....I'm so sorry you had to get one like that.

As soon as I can, I will buy from you.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-03-13 at 1:56am.
Old 2010-03-13, 5:07am
lurking on LE since 2005

I really appreciate the kind words-just like a girl to focus on the one or two negative comments and ignore all the happy customers.....

I just want people to know that it's a good way to encase, and easy enough to do, or I wouldn't have tried to show people how to do it. I agree that you still have to have some working skill set to encase anything, especially larger beads because the un-encased end is flapping in the breeze until you get to it (to not kill the reduction effect if you swing that way). But encased beads are so pretty..expecially over silver glass.

With all the tut's out there to "make my bead", I thought I would put a tut out there for just "how do I...?" without having to make any one particular bead. (you know how people have a signature bead, make a tut for it, but you don't dare make and sell it because it's "their" bead..? I have a perfectly done Michael Barley chrysallis round bead that hangs from my window-a great looking bead that I wouldn't dare sell despite the effort it took to manage that freaking encased giant marble..)

I know in the tut I recommend Diamond Clear, and there's been MUCH discussion over the merits/pitfalls of Diamond Clear (got mine from Paula) to encase silver glass. Almost every bead I make that isn't hollow I encase in either PDC or Aether.

I have found that most veteran bead makers still swear by Moretti clear, and truthfully, if you don't kill it with too much heat, (and use an oxidizing flame), it's absolutely perfect for encasing, and compatible. (and CHEAP) I mean, would someone like Michael Barley steer you wrong?

I tend to lean towards "oh, it's expensive, I must have it, it's better, right??" way of thinking, I have POUNDS of PDC and Aether, and have had little to no trouble using either to encase anything. Chiming in to the PDC discussion by saying "it doesn't do bad things for me" is a good way to get my head bitten off, so I'm staying over here in my happy little world, encasing away with the evil glass, hoping people will sell it to me for cheap because I like it. (hint hint)

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Last edited by Charmaine; 2010-03-13 at 5:22am.
Old 2010-03-13, 8:29am

That's silly. There are usually many ways to do the same thing. Thankfully we have folks like yourself who don't mind sharing their know-how or their way of doing things. It's like shopping at a store, if you don't agree with the pricing, just don't purchase the item (especially if you already have several of the same item at home). That is no reason for bashing the seller/store.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. Some people are just very unhappy and have nothing better to do with themselves.

Minor
Old 2010-03-13, 8:55am
Still makin' flowers...

Charmaine -
Your tutorial, even the one she bought, CLEARLY states that this is not the only way to encase. She makes herself look really dumb.

Unfortunately sometimes Etsy doesn't take back negative comments even if they are unfounded. I sold a kit way back in October. The purchaser emailed me to tell me she was unhappy with it because she didn't think that the delicas and silver wire and instructions was worth $35.00. I told her to send it back and I would refund her money including the shipping. She decided to keep it. Then, FOUR MONTHS LATER she left me a negative. Apparently didn't like one of the bead colors because it looked different on her moniter. Etsy decided to let the negative stand. Still, my rating is at 100% because I have enough good feedback.

Don't let the negative get you down. It won't actually affect your sales if you have enough good.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2010-03-15, 8:22pm
Broken

I encase a LOT and have taken many many classes, I am pretty sure I use the same encasing method. Really there aren't that many ways to encase. She's probably got sour grapes.

My tutorial is pretty basic for daisy's, heck it shows a picture in the listing of what the bead looks like. I've still gotten a couple pissy feedbacks. I think it's just what some people do.

I'd refund her and just put it behind you.

That said I hate diamond clear, it scums very easily and does weird stuff with silvered glass. I swear by regular old moretti clear and Aether for some of my bigger beads. There are so many opinions on encasing and clears, and lets face it all our torch set ups vary which can affect things too.

Old 2010-03-29, 10:09pm
aka Pele's Fire

I haven't read all these posts, but I just purchased this tutorial. Enough of this nonsense. You are beating yourself up over nothing. Following her logic would mean that Corina shouldn't have written Passing the Flame.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2010-03-31, 4:35pm
lurking on LE since 2005

I know, I know. She did a kiss and make up, which was good.

J-55