TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2006-06-26, 4:07pm

Question Hose and Other Stuff

Now that I have my kiln and Piranha, I am working on getting the rest of the stuff I need to get the torch up and running. I know I will need regulators and they are pretty straight forward, but I'm a bit confused on the hose, arrestors and quick connects.

If I am reading the hose items from various vendors correctly, they are sold as a "set" which means one hose for the Oxy and one hose for the Fuel OR does "set" mean the hose and the 'B' connector thingy for each tank i.e. I need two sets?

I will just be running the one torch with "hose through the window" propane until we have the gas guy come in and "hard plumb" the gas line. Oxy will be a tank inside the studio space. How do the quick connects work and do you think they would be beneficial in this set up? Ditto the flashback arrestors. I've seen lots of conflicting info on these, but would rather have them then not unless, they really are superfluous with a surface mix torch.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!

~ Tru
Old 2006-06-26, 4:20pm
What, Me Worry?

Here's what Bethlehem says about fire checks and flashbacks.

"The surface-mixed burner, as in the Piranha, is safer
because they will not allow the fuel mixture to burn inside
the burner body. Therefore, as in pre-mix burners fire
checks and flame arrestors are not required with the
Piranha. To test your burner for proper performance, just
simply turn off the oxygen flow, then re-open the oxygen
very quickly. If there is a loud bang, then pre-mixing is
occurring and the burner should be returned to Bethlehem
Apparatus for repairs."

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/Piranha.pdf

Bill
Old 2006-06-26, 4:34pm

Thanks Bill! Any opinion on the quick connects?
Old 2006-06-26, 4:55pm
PyronamixK

I have quick connects on my lines. I had them on the ends that go from my lines to my regulators (they are still on the ends of my lines, but I use a concentrator, now - no regulator for that). They are equipped with backflow prevention, which is some measure of safety, but are not the same as flashback arrestors.

When I worked with the propane-outside-of-my-window set-up, I found them to be very useful. When I was finished torching, I could just un-do the line in a snap and move my tank back to the back deck where it lived.

As for hose sets, a hose set is one red and one green hose together. They usually do come with the fittings on the end, but you will probably cut them off and stick the ends onto the barbs of the torch itself, securing them with hose clamps.

PS You can get quick connects with flashback arrestors built in, but they are pricey.
Old 2006-06-26, 5:06pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklecticmoose
Thanks Bill! Any opinion on the quick connects?
Sorry, can't be much help to you there, I don't use them. Somebody with experience using them, and especially which brand, would be far better information than just my guess.

Bill
Old 2006-06-26, 7:52pm
What, Me Worry?

Just spotted this thread on QDs. See if it helps.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17669

Bill
Old 2006-06-27, 9:13am
Gentleman of Leisure

About hose "sets" ... They are generally pair of hoses bonded together during manufacturer. Usually a red hose for fuel and a green hose for oxygen. They generally have "B" type connectors on each end. Red hoses for fuel have left-hand thread "B" connectors and green hose has a right-hand thread "B' connector. So a "set" is a complete hose setup and it is all you need. Note these are same type of hoses using in oxy/fuel welding and cutting. Only thing is when using PROPANE for fuel you need hose that is rated for propane use...

Also the hose "set" can carefully be separated so one hose can go to concentrator or oxygen tank and other off to that safe location where your propane tank is (outside)..

Some places sell the hose sets with "B" connector only on one end so if you have a torch that uses barbed connectors, you do not need to cut off "B" connectors on one end of hose...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-06-27 at 9:17am.
Old 2006-06-29, 9:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklecticmoose

I will just be running the one torch with "hose through the window" propane until we have the gas guy come in and "hard plumb" the gas line. Oxy will be a tank inside the studio space.
~ Tru

Here is example of how hard plumbing should be done...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=208

And according to NFPA it is "ok" to have a rubber hose from last shutoff point to torch... I would not even mention to plumber what purpose of gas line is for... I would just have them plumb in a "legal" line with approved shut off on end...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal