LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-28, 5:22pm
Detail G-Mama!

Default Tutorial for handblown ornaments using tubing?

Is there such a beast out there? I was at Flameworks today and Kevin Ivey did a demo for me and my friends. He was making ornaments so I bought some tubing to try out myself and as much as I watched him, my brain couldn't absorb everything he did! So anyone know of a tutorial or video out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-09-28, 6:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Is there such a beast out there? I was at Flameworks today and Kevin Ivey did a demo for me and my friends. He was making ornaments so I bought some tubing to try out myself and as much as I watched him, my brain couldn't absorb everything he did! So anyone know of a tutorial or video out there?
I have a video by Doug Remschneider called "Flameworked Ornaments":

http://www.artcoinc.com/remschneider.php

The 4th one down.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-09-28, 6:16pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Malcom! I'm sure Doug did a bang up job on it also but I was thinking more Youtube videos.

Old 2007-09-28, 6:20pm

These might not be exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully, they'll help.

http://www.exploringart.com/pdf/Glas..._Ornaments.pdf
http://www.edhoy.com/BlownGlassOrnaments.pdf
Old 2007-09-28, 6:25pm
Detail G-Mama!

Darn! The links are working for some reason! Thanks anyway!

Old 2007-09-28, 6:29pm
Still Missing You

This should open. If it doesn't, copy and paste it Anne.

Scroll all the way down and it shows pictures.

Now, go forth and make me some ornaments woman. LOL

Linda
Old 2007-09-28, 6:30pm
Detail G-Mama!

Linda, that didn't work either!

Old 2007-09-28, 6:34pm
Still Missing You

I dont' know how to send you to a link on LE, but this is the post where they have the ornament link. You can open it from there.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...lass+ornaments

If the link does not work, go to Tutorials, put in Glass Ornaments in the Search and the link will open. Scroll down to see the post on the tutorial link.

Last edited by dalilly; 2007-09-28 at 6:39pm. Reason: better info
Old 2007-09-28, 6:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

they work for me too

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-09-28, 6:56pm
Detail G-Mama!

The link to the thread worked but when I try to click on the links in that thread they don't work to the website.

Old 2007-09-28, 6:56pm

Doug's video really is a good one. I learned a lot from it. You can rent it at Smartflix. I made my daughter the angel ornaments and she loves them.

Rose

Old 2007-09-28, 7:17pm
Still Missing You

Is your computer set up to read pdf files?
Old 2007-09-28, 7:23pm
Detail G-Mama!

Yes. It's something on their webpage, it will say done but it's just a blank screen!

Old 2007-09-28, 7:40pm
Still Missing You

Sit and wait Anne. It takes some time to load the page (even after it says "done"). Patience woman, patience! Then let me know if it doesn't work. Go make me a bead while you wait.
Old 2007-09-28, 7:44pm
Detail G-Mama!

The page has "Done" down on the bottom with that triangle with the exclamation point in it. That means there is some kind of error on the page. I did get your email though and that worked! thanks so much! I'm heading to bed here! I'm pooped!

Old 2007-09-28, 7:53pm
Still Missing You

I haven't a clue as to why it won't load the page for you.

Please come back and show us what you make!
Old 2007-09-28, 8:09pm

It works fine for me too, from the link you posted here...
Old 2007-09-28, 10:08pm
Borovangelist

I gotta tell ya, getting the top the right size to accept an ornament cap is a royal pain in the buttocks. I usually just end up putting a loop on them.

If you go the cap route, it's gotta be slightly less (but definitely not more) than the cap size, and you can only have a little bit of space under it otherwise the wire doesn't seat correctly.

Also, if you follow the directions, make sure your frit is melted in really well on the inside. Otherwise you end up with thicker sections that don't cool evenly leading to some really sharp looking ornaments. Literally sharp. Ouchie.
Old 2007-09-29, 3:58am
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks ya'll! I was going to do the loop for them. I'm not sure I'll go the frit route unless it's on the outside. I'll show anything that turns out!

Old 2007-10-03, 5:29am
Detail G-Mama!

Well, I played with it. Man! That tubing is hard to work with, I'm thinking I need to get bigger tubing! I ended up with some pepper/pickle looking thing!

Old 2007-10-03, 5:44am

I've done some boro ones with my bobcat and need to try again. I have Lauscha tubing to try and that was a disaster. I've always wanted to try the Glaskolben ones, but have never found their blowing tubes. I asked way back when they were first in Glass Patterns Quarterly, but I couldn't find anyone to order them.

Small ornaments are one of the things I want to do that remains out of my reach.
Old 2007-10-03, 6:50am
Sandi

I took a class last year on blowing these ornaments using the Glaskolben tubes and while difficult...it was great fun. I came home with about a dozen of each size of the tubes but since I have not gotten around to making any more of them, I would be willing to sell a few of them....large tubes $2.00; small tubes: $1.50 + shipping.

I found a great tutorial on blowing them also which pretty much mimics the way I was taught. Here is a link to the tut http://www.exploringart.com/pdf/Glas..._Ornaments.pdf

Please PM me if interested in the tubes...I will be out most of the day but will reply as soon as I return.

Thanks,
Sandi

Old 2007-10-03, 7:21am

That is a great tutorial. I have wanted to try this too. I wish I had more time in a day. I found this site too. I think you can purchase the tubes from them and they also have a tut. Lots of lampwork stuff too.

http://store.allstainedglass.com/howtouse.html

Last edited by glassactcc; 2007-10-03 at 7:24am.
Old 2007-10-03, 8:35pm
Borovangelist

tracy's has them if you're interested:

http://www.tracysworkshop.com/pc-267...en-30x1mm.aspx
Old 2007-10-21, 9:17am
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRessell View Post
These might not be exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully, they'll help.

http://www.edhoy.com/BlownGlassOrnaments.pdf
I had ordered 10 of each from Jamie because they looked interesting and wanted to try them. Thank you so much for posting these instructions. Can't wait totry them now.

Now where can I get more of the Glaskilben Ornaments?

Old 2007-10-21, 2:18pm

The Flow magazine also has a very good tut in the Fall 2007 issue. Great photos.

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2007-10-21, 10:56pm

Hi my name is Julie if you still have some tubes to sell I am interested in buying some from you can you let me know my E-mail is Scraphappy01@aol.com
Thanks
Juls
Old 2007-11-05, 11:02am
Fire and Fluidity

I am in the process of putting together a tutorial for my style of ornament, blown off the end of a tube, no need to pull points! Anyone interested? PM me to show interest and I'll finish it and put it up here. I also use this method to do my tiny pendant vessels.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2007-11-05, 11:16am
Detail G-Mama!

I'm interested Don!!!!

Old 2007-11-05, 11:35am
giggety-giggety

I'm interested too Don! I missed a recent class (on blown ornaments) they had here at The Vinery in Madison I've never tried it, but a neon friend of mine said that I could use the clear tubing I use from my neon work to make ornaments.....I have pounds and pounds of tubing-from 5mm to 15mm - each of them 4 feet long....now I just need to watch a video and practice until Christmas 2008. If it's true that it works, I would be happy to cut and ship out some for any that would like to try....

My etsy: