Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-07-28, 9:54pm
Boro Brat

Question Creatures, anyone?

I've just started working on a creature tutorial and before I go full-bore into it, I figure I should probably ask if there is there any interest? It will be a solid boro sculpture tutorial including info about colors and canes and general off-mandrel sculpting stuff and then go into the creation of a creature, showing both how to sculpt a creature specifically, but of course the techniques can be used for anything. I have a few creatures sitting around waiting to be photographed for this tut and will post a pic here for anyone who is unfamiliar with them.

I'm kicking around the idea of showing how to make a small one on a minor with one concentrator as well (in addition to a regular-sized one on my normal set-up), for anyone who has a comparable set-up and isn't sure they want to move up into the world of boro quite yet. That's how I started with these guys, after all. I just hope I have the same patience I used to have Would that increase interest? Would it be a waste of time?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-28, 10:02pm
See my quote!!

Pipyr, that would be so cool. I for one would definitely be keen on seeing how you go about making them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-07-28, 10:41pm

I would love more boro tutorials. I just started with boro and I still do soft glass too but I am learning implosions etc. I would love to know more about scluptural boro stuff so I think it would be great. I would buy it.... well, if I could afford it. But, I would love to see a tutorial from you. I hope you give at least a couple of great color combinations too because I know there are some great colors to put together in boro but I haven't learned many of them yet. Awesome!

Old 2008-07-28, 11:46pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

I would LOVE a tutorial from you, Pipyr! I own a bit of boro, and have melted some on my torch (mini cc with a M15 concentrator), but need to learn more about striking, color combos, etc...

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-07-28, 11:52pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I agree Pipyr, make that tutorial !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-07-29, 12:03am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I thought you would never ask! I would definetly buy your tut

Old 2008-07-29, 12:29am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Count me in!!!!

Old 2008-07-29, 4:14am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Bring it on Ninja PIP!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 5:25am
Boro Brat

Thanks so much for the responses, guys!! I'll definitely do it, then I figure the price will be between $15-$18 depending on how long and complicated it ends up being...and there will definitely be lots of color info in there!!

Old 2008-07-29, 5:37am

Yes please Pipyr!!!!

Sals
Old 2008-07-29, 5:39am

And yes please include the information on working the smaller sculptures!! I just got my phantom in so flame size is no longer a problem but my kiln is limited to what I can fit through the bead door. Can the larger ones be made, allowed to cool and then anneal later? I love your work and would be thrilled to have a tutorial from you!
Old 2008-07-29, 6:03am
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluv4ever View Post
And yes please include the information on working the smaller sculptures!! I just got my phantom in so flame size is no longer a problem but my kiln is limited to what I can fit through the bead door. Can the larger ones be made, allowed to cool and then anneal later? I love your work and would be thrilled to have a tutorial from you!
They sure can...I do this all the time. Actually, I do this with most of my sculpture because by the time I'm done with one end, the other end is cold and putting it in a hot kiln is jut a bad idea. The creatures can be worked either way, though Oh...and my kiln has a small bead door, too. The creatures will fit most bead doors if you put them in on their sides

Old 2008-07-29, 7:29am
Born Facing Left

I'd love to buy this, Pipyr. I have lots of boro, but I've never melted it....I'm skeered, lol.

Did you ever get the doggy card, btw?

Old 2008-07-29, 10:27am
I know, I can't spell

Pipyr, I may not have any boro glass or anything like that but from a 104 perspective on your stuff I am sure that there will be lots of information that I can apply to just about any type of glass. I love this idea.

Soon new stuff
Old 2008-07-29, 11:10am
Covered in glitter

I'd love to see it in soft glass.
I do have some boro but I've only made one thing from boro and it was an accident. LOL Right now I"m working on a HH so there's no way I'm going to tackle boro for quite a while.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-29, 11:24am
Boro Brat

LOL...I should clarify (before anyone starts getting ideas ) that I definitely won't be putting out a tutorial in soft glass. Soft glass mocks me. It laughs at me. I'm sure It is entirely possible to make a creature out of soft glass with some modifications, but I can assure you that I am not the one to do that

I have been working on this all day and I do feel like there will be something for everyone who is interested in sculpture in any type of glass and tons for anyone who already uses boro or wants to give boro a try. Thanks for the input, guys!

Old 2008-07-29, 12:51pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I'd love to buy this, Pipyr. I have lots of boro, but I've never melted it....I'm skeered, lol.

Did you ever get the doggy card, btw?
I did get it!! I laughed so hard that I had to show Rhonda before x-mas, so we gave it to my mother from Spike instead. She laughed hard too. Thanks again so much for that!

Old 2008-07-29, 12:54pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
LOL...I should clarify (before anyone starts getting ideas ) that I definitely won't be putting out a tutorial in soft glass. Soft glass mocks me. It laughs at me. I'm sure It is entirely possible to make a creature out of soft glass with some modifications, but I can assure you that I am not the one to do that

I have been working on this all day and I do feel like there will be something for everyone who is interested in sculpture in any type of glass and tons for anyone who already uses boro or wants to give boro a try. Thanks for the input, guys!
Well poo. I guess I'll just have to get it for later then when I can do boro, won't I? LOL

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-29, 1:19pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
Well poo. I guess I'll just have to get it for later then when I can do boro, won't I? LOL
Or you can be the first to make one in soft glass!

Old 2008-07-29, 1:22pm
Dangerous Woman

Are you going to cover making your little trees? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-07-29, 2:20pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Are you going to cover making your little trees? Pretty please with a cherry on top!
Which little trees are you talking about? I'll definitely take requests for other tutorials

Old 2008-07-29, 5:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post

I'm SO gonna go get my little SOFT GLASS OWL bead that you made & take a pix of it & post it!!
(it's freakin' first-batch DH Luna glass--the one that "doesn't work" for anyone? Yeah...for Pipyr it does......)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-07-29, 5:12pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I'm SO gonna go get my little SOFT GLASS OWL bead that you made & take a pix of it & post it!!
(it's freakin' first-batch DH Luna glass--the one that "doesn't work" for anyone? Yeah...for Pipyr it does......)
Didn't I destroy that thing? Uh...you can't prove I made it.

Lyn? Lyn...? Where did you go??

Old 2008-07-29, 5:19pm
My opinion not needed

**raising hand** while chanting...I want one! I want one!

Old 2008-07-29, 5:48pm
Serenity Now!

Is it ready yet!?

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-07-29, 5:48pm
Boro Brat

Woohoo...I've been working on this all day and have most of the text and formatting done (the hard part!) It's 17 pages already...I only show a creature, but I have a lot of color info and general sculpting info in there, too...so it's going to be more than just a tutorial on creatures I hope everyone likes it! I'm planning to do pictures on friday and hopefully will get it posted by the end of the weekend!!

I think I'm going to skip the single concentrator bit unless I get a lot of people asking about it. This can be done on a minor with one concentrator...it just needs to be smaller and takes longer. The steps are really no different and in the interest of keeping it all to a manageable length, after doing the whole text I don't see a need for showing it a second time with a concentrator. Thoughts?

Woohoo this is a lot of work but it's kinda fun!

Old 2008-07-29, 5:49pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

LOL!

Tapping fingers on desk in anticipation.

Old 2008-07-29, 6:07pm
Serenity Now!

Ditto...get going girlfriend...no dilly-dallying 'round here - you've got STUFF to do! (Much love - as always to Rhonda and Spike!)

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-07-29, 6:55pm
Boro Brat

19 pages now, girls!! Wow...I never would have guessed it would pile up so quick without pictures! Yikes!

Old 2008-07-29, 8:47pm
maybe tomorrow

It sounds fantastic Pipyr! I have a fairly good stash of boro that was gifted to me by a friend that was no longer lampworking. I haven't touched it yet, but I'm signed up for a class with Brent in Sept at AS, so hopefully that will get me past the scary parts! I can't wait to see your finished product!