Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-11, 11:07am

Default Tumbling Boro?

Has anybody had any luck tumbling boro in a vibrating tumber? I just want to the pieces down to a matt finish, and can't afford the cost or have the space for a sandblasting setup.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-11, 2:59pm
Oh my!

My Dad has 'tumbled' some glass for me in his vibrating tumbler. It turned out great. I made some beads and he put them through for a few hours. They came out looking like beautiful sea glass.
Old 2011-02-11, 5:29pm
Hummel factory reject

Eric, I use a rotary tumbler with 800 grit s.c. for a nice matte finish. Pieces with bumps or creases don't etch as well. Plastic pellets or small beads make good filler for the tumbling barrel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-12, 8:37am

Thanks for the input!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-02-12, 9:56am

i did some but put some extra scrap pieces in along with the grit. worked great
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2011-02-14, 11:55am
Torchaholic ;)

Great info!

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2011-02-14, 2:28pm
ManBearPig

There is a guy that used to come on here a lot that got some good results from tumbling. His name on here is Juln. Haven't seen him on here in a while, but you may be able to shoot him an e-mail. I have a few of pieces he did and they are pretty much what you are describing.

Old 2011-02-14, 3:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
There is a guy that used to come on here a lot that got some good results from tumbling. His name on here is Juln. Haven't seen him on here in a while, but you may be able to shoot him an e-mail. I have a few of pieces he did and they are pretty much what you are describing.
Thanks!

Old 2011-02-14, 4:24pm
Alaska Boro

Have been looking into that also. Looks like the Ultra Vibe 3 with a 2-1/2 lb capacity
vibratory tumbler could be a good choice. Perhaps add some ceramic media with a little SC 500 and water to fill up the container. For small boro beads and small numbers this may be a good choice. The larger units would be good for 10 pounds of beads. But that would be a lot of beads!!

This firm seems to have excellent prices. Are there other places that can match or are lower?

http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler3.html

Not sure of a demand for beads with a sea glass frosted finish but it will be interesting to see if folks like this style of finish. If nothing else, this would be a path to polishing rocks!
Old 2011-02-15, 5:53am
Pyromaniac

I believe "Happy" Harold tumbles most of his stuff as well - he goes by HWCglass here - or catch him on FB.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy