Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-08, 5:01am
StudioMarcy

Hi Steph, beadmaking is a lot of coordination. When I teach new students, I tell them it's a little like the old patting your head and rubbing your belly...each hand is doing something different at the same time. And it takes some practice to get good. You need to just stay at it. A couple of hints...keep your mandrel rotating steadily- think of gravity. If you stop, that warm glass will sink naturally and keep the mandrel parallel to your table top. If it slants even a little and your glass is warm, that glass will move.

And my other hint is when you apply your glass through the flame onto the mandrel, keep your glass rod perpendicular to the mandrel. Like an upside down "T". If the glass goes on straight then you spend a lot less time "fixing" the edges of your bead.

If you tell us where you live, there might be a group of beadmakers nearby that you can join or visit. Nothing like being around others in person to learn, if possible. The ISGB (international society of glass beadmakers) has chapters around the country.

And honestly, yes, Devardi can be a little harder to learn on. It is less expensive and has nice colors, but there are some colors that are particularly hard to work with. if you bought stringers, you might start with them. Without a rod warmer, you have more chances of the large rods popping (and on you- wear cotton clothing). The stringers are thinner and easier to work with.

Hope this helps a little,
Marcy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-08, 5:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Steph, I agree with Marcy, and I wanted to add a link to get a Rod Warmer from Amazon.com. They are called Ceramic Heater Stoves on the internet, and you can do a search to find the best prices, but this price is about normal.
http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Stove-C.../dp/B0012F97EM

Devardi glass is handpulled, so that leaves a lot of tension in the rods, and unless they are really well warmed to start they can shock on you. The stringer is a great way to learn to make spacer beads to practice, and the Tutorial on making Round Beads from Rod or Stringer shows the steps using with a white stringer. Did you see that one?

Many of the types of Devardi glass are stiff, so they don't flow and must be worked with more skill and care, but some do flow nicely, like SOP White or Moonstone White, or SOP Lt. Pink Plum or SOP Lt. Baby Blue... try those first and preheat them in a Rod Warmer before you start if possible.

www.youtube.com has many videos on beginning bead making, especially from this fellow. You can watch through all his videos and learn a lot for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmgmU...eature=channel

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-01-08 at 5:37am.
Old 2011-01-08, 7:30am

Thank you both I did get 50 stringers with it so I will try them first. Hopefully they will hold me over until I can get a rod warmer. I was hoping that this would be a better glass to work with since it was stiffer. My husband said we would have the money by the 18th when they are suppose to get more so I could buy one then. I live in New Madison,Ohio. I would love to have local bead makers to help me and to talk to in person that would be wonderful. I will look at the you tube link also thank you both again.
Old 2011-01-08, 7:42am

Where is New Madison? I live in Ohio.

Old 2011-01-08, 7:59am
StudioMarcy

Steph, it looks like you have a few options. (that would be so cool, if Sonja lives near you) but also, the ISGB regional director is the very nice, Nancy Puffer. You can reach her this way... eastcentral@isgb.org Email her and ask her what is closest to you. Looks like you'd need to drive some no matter what. She would also probably be able to find out if there are beadmakers (who belong to the isgb) nearby as well.

Another option is asking on LE. Hey, anyone know someone who lives near me? It always amazes me how many people there are on this forum.

Let us know how you do- finding a buddy makes it nicer- if not, we're always here.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-08, 8:03am

I just looked at the map, you are well over four hours away from me. But go post in the Ohio thread I am sure their have to be some people close by, in Dayton or there abouts.

Old 2011-01-08, 8:41am

Ok Ladies, I posted in the only Ohio thread I could find on here so hopefully I will find someone that is close to me, that would be so nice. You all are so helpful and wonderful.Thank you all so very much. I will let you all know how it is going once I get my package and get started. I will most defiantly will start with the stringers I bought until I get a rod warmer.
Old 2011-01-09, 12:08pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I haven't posted anything for a bit, so here is a Goldfish Aquarium bead I just redid. One of the little fishies needed help but I had to wait to get my kiln to redo him. It has a Dichro strip wrapped around the middle that I somehow managed not to burn off!

What you guys got to show?

Old 2011-01-09, 12:24pm
StudioMarcy

cute little fishies Kristina!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-11, 9:32am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone, I have two Lentil Necklaces I worked up last night. Is anyone else using presses with Devardi? I am thinking of getting some of their new presses with the next shipment.

Old 2011-01-16, 9:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default How To Make Round Beads with Devardi Glass & a Bead Roller

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know the Tutorial on making round beads using a Bead Roller is up on the Devardi Site. Next they will post how to make them without a Bead Roller. Here is the direct link. The free Tutorials are on the HOME page under the Tutorial drop down menu.

http://www.devardiglass.com/Roundbeadsbeadroller.htm

And here is a set of beads made using the Dark Tropical Green. It is a real pleasure to work with - it's soft and melts and rounds easily, but beware - it turns a beautiful light green when annealed!

Old 2011-01-22, 9:45am
Hot Glass Neophyte

We're sure quiet on the Homefront here!

Hearts are everywhere, so would any of you (including Lurkers) care to have a Devardi Hearts show?

How about making a Heart or two and posting them over the next 2 weeks? It would be a treat to see what you all make up. Here are two I worked up for the other Heart Thread using Devardi. Anyone interested in a Heart to Heart Challenge?

Old 2011-01-22, 9:56am
Glass & Parrots = Heaven

Love the texture of the clear heart, realy makes it look like ice. Is that the look you were going for?

Best Bud Cosmo - Eclectus Parrot
Old 2011-01-22, 11:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpmd04 View Post
Love the texture of the clear heart, realy makes it look like ice. Is that the look you were going for?
Yes, I thought it would be neat to have a little Gold Heart in the center of a big icy one! The pink one was rolled in Pixie Dust, but it wasn't hot enough so not much adhered - it just got a little glossy.
Old 2011-02-09, 8:42am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know the Tutorial on making round beads using a Bead Roller is up on the Devardi Site. Next they will post how to make them without a Bead Roller. Here is the direct link. The free Tutorials are on the HOME page under the Tutorial drop down menu.

http://www.devardiglass.com/Roundbeadsbeadroller.htm

And here is a set of beads made using the Dark Tropical Green. It is a real pleasure to work with - it's soft and melts and rounds easily, but beware - it turns a beautiful light green when annealed!

Hey, stop copying me...LOL, I made some VERY similar beads just yesterday! Oh BTW. I posted that pic again in the bathroom...it's snowing and a girls gotta spend her time in the best way possible! LOL
Your's are more "shapy" than mine.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2011-02-09 at 8:43am. Reason: to brag on yer beads....
Old 2011-02-09, 8:54am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Hey, stop copying me...LOL, I made some VERY similar beads just yesterday! Oh BTW. I posted that pic again in the bathroom...it's snowing and a girls gotta spend her time in the best way possible! LOL
Your's are more "shapy" than mine.
I went and looked and I STILL don't see it! Post the link girlie so we all can find you!

And inspiration and copying are very close cousins! I'll share if you will!
Old 2011-02-09, 8:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

And SINCE we have reactivated this thread one more time - here is my latest Aquarium Bead all in Devardi (except for the Murrini). I am doing better on the Lentil Press, but I have to heat my press since I'm on a Hothead. It really helps.

Anyone else got any pretties to post?

Old 2011-02-09, 9:07am

Kristina, Love that! The blue is a perfect color with all of those bubbles. It looks like your looking right into a fish bowl.

I still want to try the copper metalic that I bought. I have only tried it once but I have to go back to it. I used a plumbers torch to see if I could get it to strike. It seemed to work but I have to play around some more.

I do wish that Devardi would pull their rods out smaller though. That would be AWESOME! They are so thick.

Old 2011-02-09, 9:21am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know. I pull a lot into thick stringers... and the Rod Warmer is a must. Lately I am loving the SOP's. They end up opaque by the time I get done working them.

The Angel face is SOP Lt. Peach, and the dress is SOP Dark Tropical Green. The green lightens by the time it is worked and annealed.

Old 2011-02-09, 9:21am

I don't get light green when I anneal my dark tropical green at all. I will have to make a couple next torching time and take a couple of pictures.

Old 2011-02-09, 9:25am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
I don't get light green when I anneal my dark tropical green at all. I will have to make a couple next torching time and take a couple of pictures.
Wow, that's sure interesting... it must be my Hothead. Can I ask what your torch is? I'd love to see how it works up for you. It's such a nice glass.
Old 2011-02-09, 9:37am

I have a cricket and I tend to a pretty neutral flame. I will play with it a bit and see what happens. Won't probably get to the torch til tomorrow though.

Old 2011-02-09, 9:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thanks Sonja. I really appreciate it. I'm thinking of getting a Cricket too.

I consistently get the same shade of light green from the SOP Dk Tropical Green, so it must be the Hothead. And here's a kitty with it's rod of SOP Dark Marine Green.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-02-10 at 11:05am.
Old 2011-02-09, 10:14am
BabblingBeads

Hi Steph,
I live in the Dayton OH area and I belong to the Miami Valley Lampwork Bead Artist Group. We always welcome new members. Let me know if you are interested and I can email you with more information.
Old 2011-02-09, 11:13am

Kristina I will do some tests just to make sure, I could be wrong lol, I have a lot of glass. Let me make some testers over the next day or two and we can compare.

Old 2011-02-09, 6:05pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Kristina I will do some tests just to make sure, I could be wrong lol, I have a lot of glass. Let me make some testers over the next day or two and we can compare.
That would be great, and if anyone wants to post colors and tell their setup (torch type and if they anneal or cool) we could make comparisons that way too!
Old 2011-02-10, 11:13am

I placed an order with devardi on the 3rd and pay pal says it was sent on the 4th but have not recived my order dose anyone know if maby they are having bed weather and that is the reason for the delay?I am so excited to get my rod warmer as i am new to lampworking and devardi is very shocky.Thanks
Old 2011-02-10, 11:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrafields1979 View Post
I placed an order with devardi on the 3rd and pay pal says it was sent on the 4th but have not recived my order dose anyone know if maby they are having bed weather and that is the reason for the delay?I am so excited to get my rod warmer as i am new to lampworking and devardi is very shocky.Thanks
You could email Natasha at Devardi. She would know. She is one of the sweetest and most conscientious people you will ever meet so don't hesitate to ask her.

Welcome to the fun and the challenge, and ask away if you need help!
Old 2011-02-10, 11:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
You could email Natasha at Devardi. She would know. She is one of the sweetest and most conscientious people you will ever meet so don't hesitate to ask her.

Welcome to the fun and the challenge, and ask away if you need help!
Thabks i didn't want to bug the heck out of her. And yes she is so sweet what a great company the have. looking foward to making some beads and sharing ideas on here with all of you thanks for the welcome
Old 2011-02-10, 12:46pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrafields1979 View Post
Thabks i didn't want to bug the heck out of her. And yes she is so sweet what a great company the have. looking foward to making some beads and sharing ideas on here with all of you thanks for the welcome
No problem - I had an order that took a while too. I think they got hit with a landslide when the Rod Warmers came in. They are in Washington state, so they have had the weather too, but it should be on your doorstep soon I bet.

I see you're in Tennesee. I'm in SC so we are across the map from them. Have you done any lampworking before?
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi