Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-02, 7:45pm
love me love my llamas

Default little crow frits

Hi,
I am new here. I am on a hothead and searched for frits to be used on a hot head. I was wondering has anyone used her frits and used them on a hot head. I really like her pinks and purple ones alot, but if they are not really going to work with a hot head I don't want to spend the money if they aren't going to work.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Magsllamas
Old 2008-06-03, 12:47am
Glass-aholic

hi, I am on a HH too.

Most any frit will work on a HH, but I would stay away from the reduction frits if you really want the color. just make sure that you use the right CO (96 is the most common for frit and will work in moderation with 104 glass)

You can make your own from any colors you have, just get a big mason jar fill it with ice water, heat a rod of glass and plunge it into the jar. instant frit. This is a great way to use up short pieces too.

Most everything works on a HH. The only think I have had trouble with is RAKU and some of the striking silver glass, and no boro. It can be done, but it takes a lot of effort. everything else is pretty much universal to a coe rather than torch.

Lisi would know better than anyone which is the best color!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-06-03 at 1:09am.
Old 2008-06-03, 12:56am

Val Cox describes her Peony Pink blend as good on a HH, it's very pretty.

Old 2008-06-03, 5:16am

all my beads have been made on a HH torch for the last almost 7 years...I have only had a minor for less than a week so I can tell you YES YOU CAN WORK ALL THESE ON A HH TORCH All the beads you see in my frit pics are made on my lil HH

I still have my HH and I will never get rid of it...I love the reduction glass and prefer to use my HH for them. I find it much easier to reduce on the HH than the minor. ( of course ive only had it for less than week hooked up alot to learn on it )

Deb

Old 2008-06-03, 11:13am
It's all about the color.

I'm working on a project called Frit: A Visual Reference and everything I've done has been on a HotHead.

Having tested tons of frits, I can tell you that about the only thing you really need to shy away from as a frit beginner is using pinks and purples on any of the Ivorys - at least with the smaller frit sizes. Pinks and Purples actually work well with a hothead - at least in my experience, but you do want to avoid a highly reducing flame (stay out of the bright blue flame area). Of course, as a beginner, you might want to do those 2 things on test beads so you'll know if it gives you results you like or not. One person's can be another person's

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2008-06-04 at 5:40pm.
Old 2008-06-04, 3:50pm
Glass-aholic

OMG Kay... that smile is TOO funny!! WOW you went there... HAhahahahaha

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: