Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What do you think of your bead-coring tool?
Jim Moore's Bead Press - love it 84 23.01%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - on the fence 7 1.92%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - not happy with it 2 0.55%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - love it 20 5.48%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - on the fence 9 2.47%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Art in the Round's Impress - love it 88 24.11%
Art in the Round's Impress - on the fence 19 5.21%
Art in the Round's Impress - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Old fashioned dapping set and hammer 65 17.81%
Other 65 17.81%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-05, 3:15pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Just thought I show off my first 3 beads that I cored with the Art In The Round bead liner. Love it - very easy to use! Did also try sterling silver in the meantime, and it's just as easy.

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-05, 4:04pm
Give to receive...simple.

Judith they are gorgeous!!!!

The edges looks so smooth and perfectly rounded, did you have to finish the edges by hand?

I just ordered the beadliner too...Can't wait to play!

Old 2010-02-05, 4:16pm

Adee - no, I didn't need to finish the edges. I bought a raw hide hammer because I thought that I have to use it to finish the edges. But they came out perfectly like that.
I love especially the domed lip that Dave's tool creates. You can also make cores with flat lips, but I personally do prefer the domed look.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-02-05, 4:30pm

WOW Judith! That's great!!!
I've been doing mine by hand and so I thought that even with the bead liner I would have to finish them by hand!! I'm soo happy I don't need to do it this way!! Thanks for the information.....I love the domed look too!! Your beads are great!!

Old 2010-02-05, 4:38pm

Thank you!
I think it depends a bit on the beads too. These three I didn't have to finish. Since then I made around 10 more, and one of them I had to finish on one side by hand. Just to dap down a bit with the hammer on one spot It was a bit wobbly I guess.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-02-05, 5:06pm

Thats a good average, it's understandable...I'm happy enough if I don't need to do all of them by hand as I have been doing..ehheh...

Cheers!

Old 2010-02-05, 5:21pm

I make my beads right on flared cores from Metal Clay Findings - very easy to use.
Old 2010-02-05, 8:37pm
into the fire

Those are awesome Writhoma! Is it hard to do? Could be quite interesting
Old 2010-02-09, 8:27am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by writhoma View Post
I make my beads right on flared cores from Metal Clay Findings - very easy to use.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. Doesn't the silver deform when you are putting molten glass onto it or during the shaping of the bead?

Do you tumble them afterward to polish them?

--
--
--

Old 2010-02-09, 11:53am

Rose the coring is done after the bead is complete. No torch or heat is used in the process of coring.

Old 2010-02-09, 12:26pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
Rose the coring is done after the bead is complete. No torch or heat is used in the process of coring.
I've done coring that way. I was wondering about the statement by writhoma that she / he makes the beads right on findings from Metal Clay Findings. I looked and found fine silver findings that you put on a mandrel (I think) and make the beads right on the core. http://www.metalclayfindings.com/lampworkbeadcores.aspx I'd never heard of that before.

--
--
--

Old 2010-02-09, 12:35pm

Ahhh! Rose I do see what you are talking about. Thanks for the link. I am now thinking like you, previous to my post. It seems like it would be hard to keep the silver from melting. Stainless steel would survive though.

Old 2010-02-09, 1:51pm

In theory the silver core could melt if you hold it directly in the flame for a long time but I direct the flame towards the glass and it melts sweetly and smoothly onto the silver core. I've never melted a core and have made hundreds of beads this way.

I also like the fact that I don't have to spend a lot of money at once on the purchase of a bead press. Like so many others, we have kids in college and extra cash - well, there just doesn't seem to much of that around these days!

Robin
Old 2010-02-09, 2:13pm

care to show some Robin?
I have seen these (the melt onto cores) before but never tried as I couldn't wrap my head round how they worked! oh and did you use the Barbara Becker Simon tutorial that they do?

*is rather intrigued*

that said...I do like my hammer!nothing quite like bashing something with a hammer...if only rather gently!

Old 2010-02-09, 2:56pm

I'll load some pics up in the morning - I'm a school librarian and it looks like a snow day tomorrow! I think I might like your bashing technique too - it's cheap and my studio is attached to my husband's blacksmith shop so hammering is already in the family!

Robin
Old 2010-02-09, 3:25pm

but your hammers will be so much prettier...they need to be polished nice and shiny!
and he can probably make you the little stand thingy so your beads stay put whilst you're bashing them! need the set of dapping punches too...I'm glad I already had them from jewellery making cause I'd hate to have bought a whole set and only ever use two of them!

Last edited by MadelineBunyan; 2010-02-09 at 3:26pm. Reason: apostrophe re!
Old 2010-05-07, 6:00am
Gone Fishing!

I also have the Nortel and from what I have seen, it looks almost exactly like Jim's press but has a few more features. I purchased mine at the Gathering in Miami last year from Arrowsprings. I really love it, but for some reason I think that my hand dapped looks better.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2010-05-07, 6:34am
professional gimme fiver

I wanted the Jim Moore tool until I discovered the Nortel press. I'm buying one or the other in the beginning of June. As I understand it, the Nortel comes with many attachments. With the Moore, you have to buy the attachments in addition to the liner. My only thing is that I want to be able to make domed bead caps and from what I read, the Moore splits the caps. Not sure - can I make domed caps w/ the Nortel? Damn, decisions, decisions!!

Old 2010-05-08, 2:02pm

A while ago on this forum, someone posted information about how to make your own coring tool by using a large bolt/nut. You screw the nut onto the bolt down to the point where your bead would sit while putting the core in, then file the threading off of the bolt with a bastard file. You can use it in a vise. I couldn't commit to the price of a tool to do the coring because I just don't do it that much. Since I also do metal work, I had what I needed at my workbench to make this based on his instructions and it works like a charm!
Attached Images

Old 2010-05-08, 2:13pm

that sounds like andrew's instructions, which is what I use. essentially the bolt tool thingy is just a stand for the bead and you use punches like making a tube rivet.

works well for me!

Old 2010-05-08, 2:23pm

Yes! I do remember the instructions were from Andrew...but can't even remember when it was that I found them. I like the seat the bolt makes for the bead.
Old 2010-06-08, 5:18pm

Jean at Nortel said that the Nortel Bead Press Core Liner is underway and they will have some ready by the end of next week.

The video looks great and easy to use and seems to have more attachments included so you don't have to buy the separate items.

Check out the Video at:

http://www.nortelglass.com/beadpresscoreliner.shtml

Seems like a great price for what you get.
Old 2010-06-09, 7:23pm
offically down under

I am very impressed with my Art in the Round. It is very simple to use and easy to bring with you to work on the go. Yesterday, while getting my hair colored, I cored 8 beads (and sold 2) While it takes a wee bit longer than the Jim Moore tool, I think it gives a much nicer finished product. The Jim Moore tool seems to leave a rounded edge and flat edge which kind of bugs me while the Impress allows you to have nice rounded edges on both sides.

Old 2010-06-09, 8:35pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I'm with Tammy on this one. I recently purchased the Impress, and it works like a charm. No guessing how hard to pull on the lever... precise flaring with a rounded edge. I love it!!

Jack

Old 2010-06-09, 9:34pm

What do you mean by rounded edge? Inside edge?

Old 2010-06-09, 9:52pm
offically down under

If you look carefully at the cored beads, because you continually flip the Impress over, it creates a nice rounded lip. With the Retro corer, you don't have to flip it which is why many folks like it so much. But, without flipping the bead over, when you flare it, one side gets the nice rounded lip and the other side is flat. If I had the Retro corer, I would choose to flip the bead. But, I'm kind of weird.

I don't know why the photo looks like there is a ridge inside the bead, but, I swear, it is perfectly flush. I just have a strong macro lens that shows every imperfection.
Attached Images

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2010-06-09 at 9:56pm.
Old 2010-06-10, 9:29am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

It creates a dome effect, if you will.

Jack

Old 2010-06-10, 9:44am

I do like the way that it domes it.

I do the hand coring. I don't like the flatness of my results. I am using ready made silver disks. The process is flattening the dome I am adding to the disk. I am thinking I need to use a heavier thickness to maintain the domed effect on the bottom layer. But that would be more time added to an already time consuming process, since I can only find the ready made disks in one gauge.

Last edited by bousky; 2010-06-10 at 9:50am.
Old 2010-07-06, 9:19pm

I've been following this thread as I was also interested in finding out which Bead Liner was the best. I ordered the Nortel Bead Liner and just got in my SS tubing from Gingko and thought I would share my very first lined bead. I used the instructions from cutting tubing from "Art in the Round" and applied it to using this machine and "Voila", a nice domed edge lined bead and not flat at all. I have also ordered the Art in the Round Bead Liner and will show pics once I get the machine. The Nortel was Easy Peasy. Here is the result:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/h2odog2go
Old 2010-07-06, 10:12pm

That really does create a nice domed look!