Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2014-03-23, 10:44am

Default New BOC beads

Finally got my BOC beads cleaned and ready. Would someone mind looking at these and letting me know if they are appropriate? I am a little worried about the fish because of the fins and my robots because they are pretty small. I know BOC prefers larger beads but I am slowly working my way to large-I tend to work smaller in general.

If they are too small (most are under an inch) I need to know. I would hate to take the time to make them if they weren't appropriate for the kids. Thanks!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-23, 10:48am
Loving learning

They can use all size beads, they sometimes need more of one size than the other because they are running low on a size, but will use all of them.
I bet they are thrilled to receive your box of beads, so cute!
Old 2014-03-23, 10:51am

Thanks, Eileen. I love making them but I can't make as many if I make them really big. Maybe they prefer size over quantity?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-23, 10:59am
Loving learning

I bet Robert Simmons will pop in & say for sure, but I have the impression they are used for different situations. I may be wrong but I think the larger beads are used for the more stressful and painful situations, but the smaller ones are also needed.
Hopefully Robert will set me straight if that is incorrect, because I'd like to know for sure also.
Old 2014-03-23, 11:39am
Angie09

OMG Deb....those are absolutely adorable! Any kid would be thrilled to get any of your beads .....small or large. Such a wonderful thing you are doing!
Old 2014-03-23, 12:40pm
Mr Brutus RIP

they are wonderful Deb!!! I'm like you, I make mostly smaller beads. I do get a bigger few here and there but if I do the size i'm comfortable with then I make more.
I love your chickens and robots!!!
sue

Old 2014-03-23, 1:06pm

Thanks, Angie and Sue. I enjoy making them. When I get stuck making regular beads I can always make critters for BOC. The chickens are mine but I can't take credit for the robot bead. It is in the BOC book, "Hot Glass for Cool Kids" tutorial book.

Old 2014-03-23, 5:24pm
Got Honey?

Deb I think those are all wonderful! I'm sure they will find a place for them no matter the size and the kiddos will absolutely love them!!

Old 2014-03-23, 7:20pm

That's so nice of you to say! I was mostly worried about the fish fins. But they are pretty thick so maybe they will be ok.

Old 2014-03-24, 5:28am

Hi Deb,
sorry to be late checking in - I've been working the Atlanta Science Festival and crashed early yesterday. Actually we do need some big beads these days for the Transplant programs. with fish and critters it really is best to fold fins and such back against the bodies. Anything that sticks out very far is likely to get broken as the strands do take some pretty rough handling sometimes.
Your beads look great, thank you for all that you've been doing for Beads of Courage.
Robert
Old 2014-03-24, 7:43am

Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind for future beads.

Old 2014-03-24, 8:00am

The chickens and the bears are SUPER cute!
Old 2014-03-24, 9:36am

Deb those are beautiful! Lovely work!
Old 2014-03-24, 11:03am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Love them!!!

Old 2014-03-24, 11:56am

Thank you all for such nice comments! They are fun to make. I just gotta work larger!