No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-25, 11:29am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Default Where to get tanked Oxygen?

I've heard that it can be found at Welding supply places and medical supply places, is one cheaper than the other? What's a good price, or are you pretty much at the mercy of whereever you can get it? Should I bother with hardware stores?

Teague

(Super excited about new "real" torch, why aren't welding suppliers open on Saturday. <g>)
Old 2005-06-25, 11:44am
boro color bender

Check around the welding supply places. Shop around! I have found a huge difference in price. I pay like $17.50 for a 330cf tank. It's as much as $25 at some places. Man, I can't wait til I have my monster generator set up... I hate spending $300 a month on oxy and then having to drive every week to get it. Also see if they will give you the tanks rent free. I have 4 tanks I don't pay monthy for. It helps to be really friendly with the guys that work there. (not too friendly)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-06-25, 12:17pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Default Oxy concentators

ooh an Oxy Con, I just started reading about those...What does one really need to know to buy one?

What does the PSI need to be for one minor and just soft glass? there are a bunch up on Ebay.

Teague
Old 2005-06-25, 12:22pm
koregon

What you should really do, is get your self a used oxy concentrator...it will save you lots of headaches of running out of oxy...and in the long run your going to save lots of money....we love ours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
I've heard that it can be found at Welding supply places and medical supply places, is one cheaper than the other? What's a good price, or are you pretty much at the mercy of whereever you can get it? Should I bother with hardware stores?

Teague

(Super excited about new "real" torch, why aren't welding suppliers open on Saturday. <g>)

Old 2005-06-25, 12:23pm
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Check around the welding supply places. Shop around! I have found a huge difference in price. I pay like $17.50 for a 330cf tank. It's as much as $25 at some places. Man, I can't wait til I have my monster generator set up... I hate spending $300 a month on oxy and then having to drive every week to get it. Also see if they will give you the tanks rent free. I have 4 tanks I don't pay monthy for. It helps to be really friendly with the guys that work there. (not too friendly)
Here in the Newport area we had to pay $26 a fill, and they were only open Mon thru Fri till five...Dan works full time during the week, so it made it tough to get there in time / so we had two tanks ...still have the darn things...

Old 2005-06-25, 12:58pm
Gentleman of Leisure

For tanked oxygen you will need to visit a welding supplier.... Check phone book for those in your area.... There is a difference in quality between medical oxygen (certified pure) and industrial oxygen (not certified). There is huge difference in price. Also tank connections for welding oxygen regulators (type we use) are different than those used on medical oxygen. Basically its "stay from tanked medical oxygen"... Welding grade is fine.....

Hardware stores will not have anything for you... You need either welding gas suppliers or industrial gas supplier....

As for oxygen concentrators you may want to consider the following....

What they do is filter the nitrogen and other gases out of atmosphere and produce 95-98% pure oxygen!!!! A single "average" medical type concentrator (for medical oxygen therapy) will produce about 4 LPM of oxygen at about 7-8 psi. Enough to power many of the smaller burners on market (Minor-Bobcat- several others who I forget names of)...

The cost of a oxycon is average about $250-$300 about double what you will spend for oxygen regulator and tank at startup.... BUT...... With oxycon there will never be running out of oxy just after welding supply closes for the day or on Sunday afternoon...There will be no trips to welding supply every week or maybe every two weeks dependent on usage, there will be no wrestling with tanks empty and full to and from welding supply...Fees to pay each time you get full tank... Oxycon is pretty much one time investment over a "renewed" source as tanked oxygen.

Lot of good information on site below about how oxycons work and how to setup torch with oxycon and whatever....

http://www.suncoastbeads.com/

Dale M.
Old 2005-06-25, 1:03pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
there are a bunch up on Ebay.

Teague
Its buyer beware on e-bay. Yes you can get deal, and a good one, but you can get sting just as easily... Learn more about oxycons... Ask sellers a lot of questions.....

Dale
Old 2005-06-25, 2:05pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye
What you should really do, is get your self a used oxy concentrator...it will save you lots of headaches of running out of oxy...and in the long run your going to save lots of money....we love ours
Do you know of anywhere i can get one locally? (I'm in Eugene)
Old 2005-06-25, 2:07pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Its buyer beware on e-bay. Yes you can get deal, and a good one, but you can get sting just as easily... Learn more about oxycons... Ask sellers a lot of questions.....

Dale
Yeah I was thinking that, and I checked out Suncoast and there price isn't that much higher, I mean on ebay they start around 200 for ones that claim they work, etc... but with no real back up.

Teague
Old 2005-06-25, 2:16pm
koregon

I would buy from suncoast...they are reconditioned and looked over and I trust the service...I wouldn't get the one with the warrenty, as it would cost you to send it back and ship it back to you when fixed...that cost $55 each way. You can buy another reconditioned for that much and price difference.

we bought three @ $215...they each cost $55 to ship...we have been using the two for over two years now and LOVE them...the other is newer to piggy back with my torch for when I make large focals.

Old 2005-06-28, 5:21pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Cool. I think I will get one from them then. They were very nice and helpful when I e-mailed. She said I should just buy one without trying the tanked oxygen so I will never know the difference. <g> But I can't afford to do that right now, as I'm trying to get a kiln too, and my $11 an hour job just doesn't give me THAT much spending money.

I called the welding place yesterday...281 tank is $17 bucks a fill, rents for $4.50 a month. And they had another that he called a 155, but didn't reccommend it because it's small. I don't think he understood the difference between making itty bitty beads on a minor and make glass sculptures or pipe.
I called on Monday to asked questions. And when I walked in with boyfriend in tow today the guy at the counter greeted me before I even opened my mouth, "Hey you called yesterday" We decided that I must have been the ONLY girl to call all day, or possibly all month

Teague