The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-05, 7:45pm
Stress Cracked

Default What went wrong here...

besides the giant crack?

The real problem is that the surface is cloudy grey, making everything beneath it dark and murky.

The layers consist of (from inner to outer) pastel light grass green with vine stringer and Kugler silver green frit; next is Lauscha clear with white and blue flower dots; next is Lauscha clear. (The yellow lines highlight the main layers). I applied a lot of heat to shape the bead at the final stages.

I have two theories: one is that the silver green frit somehow caused the cloudyness (the problem with that theory is that the cracked bead shows nice white flower dots, only the outer clear layer is clouded). The other is that I overheated the outer clear layer and that turned it cloudy (the problem with this theory is that I can't blame the frit ).

I think an experienced bead maker will recognize what went wrong here, I hope.

Thanks, JIm
Attached Images

In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson

Last edited by lbjvg; 2005-07-05 at 7:47pm. Reason: I just love to make it look like I edit my posts!
Old 2005-07-05, 8:06pm

I don't know about the grey question, but that looks like an incompatibility crack to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-07-05, 8:37pm
Stress Cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
I don't know about the grey question, but that looks like an incompatibility crack to me.
Could be, but there are certainly other reasons for cracking as well. I used a lot of glass - the final shape is about 1.5 x .75 inches and weighs 43 grams (thats like an entire rod of 8 mm clear). As I was shaping it at the end, I burned off the bead release, but the glass kept flowing onto the bare rod. I knew it was going to stick, but I had to go for the right shape anyway. I bent the mandrel trying to get it off, using vice grips, a towel and a lot of force - thats when it cracked.

- Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2005-07-05, 11:52pm
tweetysweetie

Bead Autopsies.......ahhhhhhh, got to love them. I feel like a glass forensic "mad scientist!" lol

Did you actually grab a green from the opalino or alabastro family? I don't think those guys in massive amounts like being encased...not sure if they like being encased at all. I don't use them, as they can't play nice within their "own" family let alone with anyone else. Someone that knows more about them might offer some help, if, in fact you did grab one of those rods.

If you had any type of reduction to your flame while working before you cased, the silver green frit will be the one that produced the "smoke" cloud. I know people have success with encasing it, but I think it's small amounts. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info.

As far as the glass touching bare rod...if it's in a massive amount, consider that a shock wave & conductor for all the way up into the glass...then, also with such a huge bead, if you didn't get an excellent all around heat base and "happy glow" to it before putting it away, another receipe for breakage...trapped stress and cold spots....

three no, no's so far....your lucky it didn't explode off the mandral!!! just kidding...I'm sure there could be more possibilities, but my eyes are being propped open with toothpicks right now..got to go to bed. Good luck