Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2014-03-17, 4:32pm
Missing presumed fed

Default Ice cream cone color?

Anyone have any suggestions on what glass color makes a reasonably convincing cone for an ice cream cone? I've been digging out the darkest rods in my dark ivory stash, but it's still way too light. I tried encasing the ivory with amber, which improves the color but the transparent doesn't look right -- too shiny.

Along the same line -- what color are you using for hot dog and hamburger buns? Again, I've used dark ivory, but it's too light.

I've been telling myself that the kids won't be as picky as I am, but it still bugs me. So, any ideas?
Old 2014-03-17, 4:38pm
Slogan Challenged...

I would say that the cutest ice cream cones I have seen have not been the right "cone" color but other colors instead which somehow looked fine!

I wanted to use Biscotti for bread, and it might work for cones, but so far to my eye it is weirdly soft green when cooked. Perhaps sediment or Sandstone? or mixing your own...

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-03-17, 4:52pm

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on what glass color makes a reasonably convincing cone for an ice cream cone? I've been digging out the darkest rods in my dark ivory stash, but it's still way too light. I tried encasing the ivory with amber, which improves the color but the transparent doesn't look right -- too shiny.

Along the same line -- what color are you using for hot dog and hamburger buns? Again, I've used dark ivory, but it's too light.

I've been telling myself that the kids won't be as picky as I am, but it still bugs me. So, any ideas?
etch?
Old 2014-03-17, 5:13pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I used to make ice cream waffle cones with Effetre sage green, they came out a nice browny color. Then I etched them, after masking the ice cream.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-03-19, 5:17am
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach Caramel is perfect.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-03-19, 7:14am
Practicing perfect

I use Effetre Lt Brown #444 for my ice cream cones. Looks pretty good.

Old 2014-03-23, 9:04am

I agree with Liz. I use Reichenbach Caramel and it makes awesome ice cream cones!

Old 2014-03-24, 1:55pm
Missing presumed fed

It does look perfect -- now how do I order some Reichenbach and get away without letting myself spend a bazillion dollars? ("Honest -- all those colors just jumped into my cart!")
Old 2014-03-24, 1:58pm

I've used dark ivory for bagels and cinnamon rolls and some extra heat will "toast" the tops just right. I think that would also work for hot dog buns.
Old 2014-03-24, 3:28pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
It does look perfect -- now how do I order some Reichenbach and get away without letting myself spend a bazillion dollars? ("Honest -- all those colors just jumped into my cart!")
You won't regret it. It's a dream to work with and I've never had a compatibility issue. The clear is my go-to for silver glass these days.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-03-24, 3:49pm
Slogan Challenged...

I suppose you could fume Eff. ivories as well with a rod of silver glass or something, too.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-03-24, 4:12pm
Loving learning

Also, are they for you (sale, gifts, whatever) or for BOC?
BOC you have to be careful not to do one with metals in it, but I loved having one in the pastel cones when I was a kid. Do they still make those?
Old 2014-03-26, 1:32pm
Artistically Absorbed

Maybe Sandlewood ivory too?

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64