Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2005-12-08, 7:08am

Default Lentil bead press

Since I am brand new here I apologize for asking a question that is probably age -old. So...
Can anyone suggest where I can get a bead press-lentil shaped? I have searched some sites and I am not coming up with a good source. I know that CT has one...anyone know the price?? Thanks for any response.
Anne225
Old 2005-12-08, 8:16am
Cheerfully Profane

www.kaibeads.com for handheld ones
www.zooziis.com for ones with guiding pins (these are my fave presses)
www.cattwalk.com for ones that require a base

Rebekah
Old 2005-12-08, 8:15pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I just bought some of the Zoozii's lentil presses (I bought the collection which has all the presses). My deciding factor to go with hers over the other ones available is because of the guiding pins which makes each one a standalone unit. I hated the thought of having to screw them into some base each time I used one (I have enough trouble deciding which color glass I'll lbe using - I just wanted to be able to grab one and fly with it).

The presses are more fun than is legal. It took a bit of practice, but now my lentils are coming out great, and the press is so easy to use. Only word of caution - make sure you read about the size of the lentils carefully. The small ones were too small for my tastes (but then again, I rarely make a bead under 30mm). My friend who's a "small bead" gal prefers the ones I didn't like - it's all about taste and preference.

Anyhow - get some of Zoozii's, you won't be sorry (you might want to stick em on your wish list for Chrisnukkwanza or something!)

Karen Hardy
www.karenhardydesigns.com
Old 2005-12-28, 7:09pm

Default zooziicube

Karen,
I am new to lampworking and have just purchased a zooziicube. It didn't come with instructions - do I have to preheat it? Any other suggestions? It's a cube and square. Thx for your help!
Donna
Old 2005-12-28, 7:17pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

You don't pre-heat the press....just get the glass hot and soft and in the size for the press - position - press - done - you might need to do a little heat work on the edges if they get a lip. Zoozii (Amy) has instructions posted on her website for press use....they all work the same!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-12-28, 7:22pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Colorado
Karen,
I am new to lampworking and have just purchased a zooziicube. It didn't come with instructions - do I have to preheat it? Any other suggestions? It's a cube and square. Thx for your help!
Donna
No! don't heat it! The glass will stick in there. Here is a good tutortial for using the lentil press that is on Wetglass

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246384
Old 2005-12-30, 8:28pm
A Splash o' Glass

I've bought 2 Zoozii's and one from another supplier. I love the Zoozii's because of the pins. The other I don't use at all because you have to concentrate too much on guiding the top half onto the bottom half straight and hope your glass doesn't get too cool to move before you get it. If I'd used it more it may work out o.k., but I prefer having the pins to keep it all straight.
Old 2006-01-10, 8:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads
I've bought 2 Zoozii's and one from another supplier. I love the Zoozii's because of the pins. The other I don't use at all because you have to concentrate too much on guiding the top half onto the bottom half straight and hope your glass doesn't get too cool to move before you get it. If I'd used it more it may work out o.k., but I prefer having the pins to keep it all straight.

I have the handheld presses - These are the least used presses I have. I like the ability to press at a level/angle that is comfortable for me. I don't like having to always make multi presses to even-out the bead. The press pushes the glass slightly to one side so that one side is fatter than the other.

I have the base-required presses - I like the shapes available and these are the most often used by me. The drawback on this press is as barbbbeads said. It requires a base for allignment and attention to the top press, guide, bottom press and all the while attention to the glass on your mandrel and its placement.

I have the pin-guided presses - These are my favorite presses to use. Also for the same reasons barbbbeads stated. No base to worry about and no allignment worries. A few less worries than the base-required ones.
Old 2006-01-10, 4:09pm
Anna Duhame

I just got the graduated lentil press from Cattwalk and the Anniversary special press (lentil-lollypop) ...both are easy to use and I am thrilled with them. It just took a little practice knowing the right amount of glass to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-14, 12:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbierke
I have the handheld presses - These are the least used presses I have. I like the ability to press at a level/angle that is comfortable for me. I don't like having to always make multi presses to even-out the bead. The press pushes the glass slightly to one side so that one side is fatter than the other.

I have the base-required presses - I like the shapes available and these are the most often used by me. The drawback on this press is as barbbbeads said. It requires a base for allignment and attention to the top press, guide, bottom press and all the while attention to the glass on your mandrel and its placement.

I have the pin-guided presses - These are my favorite presses to use. Also for the same reasons barbbbeads stated. No base to worry about and no allignment worries. A few less worries than the base-required ones.
You must be talking about the Tapley presses, not Kai's. kai's are superior to any hand held press on the market today. I totally vote fpr his press over any other press, superior made and perfect bead result, and Amy's press next, which is the pin press.
Old 2006-01-15, 2:59pm
offically down under

I tried the zoozii press but had a terrible time trying to get the mandrel rod to line up and then, get the top of the press only to find out that I've put it on the wrong way and the top doesn't match the bottom. Usually, everything we get in Australia comes from either the USA or Europe but for once, I think we have something here that beats the competition. Our major lampworking supplier has come up with a 3 prong multiple mandrel press. Wow, I no longer squish the glass big size on the top, small on the bottom. Check out the website as the prices are comparable to the US. http://www.chockadoo.com/Tools/glassmoulds.html