Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-10, 11:37am

Default Reich Multicolor 104

How the heck do you work this stuff? I searched around and didn't find much. I found some here and tried but not much but blue. Do you heat it till clear? Strike and encase? thanks for any tips.
Old 2011-01-10, 1:38pm
FatCat Mama

Pat, I pretty much just work it like Raku. Here's the thread with Dawn's Raku Tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2011-01-10, 1:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

The dark MC or the light MC? I find they work a bit differently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-01-10, 2:43pm

the dark.
Old 2011-01-10, 2:46pm

The dark only needs really minimal striking - it mostly does it itself in the course of things.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-01-10, 3:40pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I got today and work from there.
Old 2011-01-10, 4:34pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

ooops, didnt meant to hyjack your thread, will put in garage sale when I figure out how much I have

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2011-01-10 at 8:05pm.
Old 2011-01-11, 4:13am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ive heard that 96 and 104 work little differently, Ive only worked with 104, and sometimes I dont do anything, and I get beautiful blues, then other times I try everything in a book, and it stays khaki-poo~ Dark seems to strike easier, but sometimes it gets so awfully dark, that Id rather have it little lighter... One of the things Ive meant to figure out... If I could just concentrate at one thing at a time. Oh, btw, light one has some pretty peach color in it often at the areas that didnt get as hot.
Old 2011-01-11, 2:44pm

OK so all your tips were spot on. You need to get the glass pretty hot. The couple that are stinky I probably didn't. Then I encased and reheated. I think it's a bit of crapshoot because you don't really know whatcha got until you take them out of the kiln. Next time I'll try and take notes. These are my testers. Thanks all.
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-11, 4:42pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

You got some pretty colors!!!
Lovely!
Old 2011-01-12, 12:19am

The MC dark 104 doesn't work for me, but the 96 is a real surprise.
Easy to strike.

Elke
Old 2011-01-12, 12:29am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Wow!!! That is gorgeous! I think I might have to get some 96 glass too...
Old 2011-01-12, 1:31am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Completely agree with what Elke says. I don't use the 104 MC Dk any more, because the colors are not even half as nice as the 96.

I was only using 104 before, but this was reason enough to get some Uroboros Black (or other 96 color) to make the base beads, decorate and you're all set, Strikes super easy, you can pretty much put it in the kiln no matter how it looks - it always turns out beautifully!

Same with encasing. Really easy. Make the base bead with MC Dk, strike a short time in flame after cooling the bead down, encase with Uroboros 96 (beautiful clear), put in kiln ... ready! No restriking of encased beads necessary.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-01-12, 1:36am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Well isnt that just great! So now I gotta get a whole new COE Just when my inventory was almost done... well with 104 anyhow. It is never ending story!
Just a newbie question... what are the 96 COE's other than Uroboro and Reichenbach?

ETA gosh my English is terrible at times... I meant what manufacturers or names there are for 96 COE?
Old 2011-01-12, 7:12am

There is a New Zealand company named Gaffer that makes 96 coe glass in a gorgeous range of colors including some luster colors. They make a multicolor glass called Chalcedony in two shades and they make some interesting veiled cane color combinations. They make their own frit color mixes too. Right now they have a 40% off sale on some of their overstock frit colors.

http://www.gafferglassusa.com/
Old 2011-01-12, 7:14am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I thought that it might be coe96. Thank you for letting me know! And yes Chalcedony is interesting color!
Old 2011-01-12, 7:48am
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach, Kugler and whatever Zimmerman stock is left all have 96 lines.

But you can use small amounts of MC Dark 96 on 104 bases, as frit and stringer, up to 20% since it has silver in it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-01-12, 7:51am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Kugler also? Did not know that. Thanks Erose!
Old 2011-01-12, 7:53am
...displaced ocean lover

Well darn! I have some Dk.Multi (104)...now I know it's not just me having problems. --this does NOT make me feel any better about wasting lots of glass $ and time, however ---

But HOW did they get the awesome colors I saw online, I mean, that's why I bought it!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2011-01-12, 7:57am
Jacqueline Parkes

I use 104 multidark almost daily with no issues. I get it stinking hot, then wait until the glow is gone and strike. It really strikes continually as you work your design. Sometimes yes it is too dark for my taste but most of the time I like it.

Now, I just did purchase two rods of 96 to see the difference. I made some beads this morning so I will update later.

Old 2011-01-12, 8:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Well darn! I have some Dk.Multi (104)...now I know it's not just me having problems. --this does NOT make me feel any better about wasting lots of glass $ and time, however ---

But HOW did they get the awesome colors I saw online, I mean, that's why I bought it!
Well that's what lampworking is all about. Testing and trying new things.You can't expect success every time.
Old 2011-01-12, 8:14am
...displaced ocean lover

Ok, can't wait to see your 96 but I REALLY want to see your 104's.
I'm going to get it white hot (before I put it on the beads??) and try again.
Thanks!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2011-01-12, 8:17am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Well that's what lampworking is all about. Testing and trying new things.You can't expect success every time.
I guess I do expect to be successful everytime. I suppose I expect too much of myself. Thanks Pat, I'll try to learn to just "test" sometimes.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2011-01-12, 11:03am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

No matter how I work Multi 96, I get a dark turquoise color.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-01-12, 12:32pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well darn, I believe I got more color out of the 96. This means I need to buy more glass

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 2011-01-12, 12:37pm
...displaced ocean lover

Dang it! Those are so pretty!
Who makes it, same people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Well darn, I believe I got more color out of the 96. This means I need to buy more glass

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2011-01-12, 12:43pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes same, Reichenbach

Old 2011-01-12, 12:52pm
...displaced ocean lover

Ok, thanks.

Got any pics of the 104...I'm so wanting to make it be the colors on the website!

And I KNOW I've seen drop dead gorgeous beads on the S&T threads featuring DK Multi so surely this CAN be done! (by me I mean )

BTW, am I supposed to work this like my nemesis Raku?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2011-01-12, 1:01pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes I work it like raku. Which www site are you referring to? If you go to my Etsy site you can see the 104 in previous sales. The most recent post is the 96 which I already showed you.

Old 2011-01-12, 8:46pm

Wow... I have to agree, the 96 is much more beautiful and bright. The 104 is subtle.
Elke and Gems those are just beautiful.