Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-31, 6:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Default Zimmerman Chat Thread

OK. I'm obsessed. As you know, there isn't much Zimmerman glass left out there in the world, and most of us know how fabulous certain colors are... like everything in the Lilac family: Z-99, Z-850, and Z-851.

Here's my problem; I WANT to buy 1/2 kilo of every color Olympic Color Rods has left, but money-wise, that's absurd! So I'm starting this thread in the hope that we can all share info on which of the remaining colors are absolute must-haves before they are all sold out and lost to the world forever.

I recently bought a bunch of blues, pinks, and purples, and most of them, honestly, are meh... they don't do much for me. I'll probably sell them off to recoup money to buy the ones I really like. But so far, three of them are really standing out for me; Z-850, which I have already posted about a million times:

Then there's Z-75, which they call "light blue" but is actually a super-dense, super-creamy deep lapis blue, and Z-76, which they call "gray blue" and is actually a fabulous deep indigo. In pics it looks kind of purple, but it's really deep warm blue.

I'll post pics of the Z-75 later this week.

What Zimmerman colors have you found to be absolutely fabulous? Are there any greens that have this rich, creamy, slightly variable quality? I'm especially interested in the colors they still have left here:

http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/zimmerman_opaque.aspx

Pictures are especially encouraged! Maybe if we all work together we can make sure we all get the awesomest colors before it's too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-31, 7:21pm
frenetic crafter

I bought some stuff from Olympic today, and a lot of what is on the website is completely gone (Z-850 and Z-673 are totally, absolutely sold out) I'd assume many of the others haven't been updated as well. So disappointing, but I did manage to snag a tiny bit of Z-850 powder, which I am so excited about.
Old 2011-01-31, 7:43pm
I'm a lilac!

Aw man, I didn't even know they had any 850 powder left! I was just playing with the 673, and found it... weird. Is it supposed to be cool? I don't know if I like it, but I guess I'll see when I take the beads out of the kiln tomorrow.

Old 2011-01-31, 7:53pm
Semi Retired

I was only able to get some 850 in size 3 and 971 in rod form. I thought I would crush them into smaller size.

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-01-31, 7:59pm

What a great idea! I've got several colors I'll post paddles of in the morning.

Mary at JewelMagic still has some Mountain Blue, a dark navy and a translucent white if anyone is interested.

http://www.jewelmagic.com/ (look under glass supplies)

Last edited by PattyK; 2011-01-31 at 8:03pm.
Old 2011-02-01, 12:17am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
I was only able to get some 850 in size 3 and 971 in rod form. I thought I would crush them into smaller size.
What's the 971? Is it cool? Tell us about it!

Old 2011-02-01, 2:30am
I'm a lilac!

Vivian, I love that Blue Grass Green! I will have to see if I can get some.

Old 2011-02-01, 3:43am

That frit girl has some.
Old 2011-02-01, 5:07am
Gimme that silver glass!

Wow Kalera, that pink is really screaming and gorgeous!

I have several frits from Zimmerman, just haven't tried them all. I'll go & exerperiment and let you all know .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-02-01, 7:37am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I've got a good bit of the 850. I have some in powder, size 0 & size 1. I'll weigh it & see how much I can spare.

Kalera, the grass green is one of my favorites. I've got some metallic blue that I haven't played with much. Also, I've got an aqua blue that I really love. I'll make some beads & show the pictures.

It's hard to make beads with a broken arm. The last time I did it, I burned my good hand. Today I'm going back & they might take my thumb out of the cast which will be a BIG help

Vivian

-

Old 2011-02-01, 7:48am

Val Cox has purple rose in stock http://valcoxfrit.com/purplerosejar.aspx

Vivian

-

Old 2011-02-01, 9:01am
Lampworkaholic!

I like the Coral Pink in rods. Great base for some of the other colors.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-01, 10:42am

Here are some close ups of a few colors. Sorry about the lousy pics. Blue Olive is a much prettier green than it appears here - a little darker and richer, as is the coral pink. The uploader insisted on making them lighter.

Z-792 Blue Olive .............. Z-971 Mountain Blue

Z-352 Coral PinkZ-72 Yellow Green ................... Z-72 Yellow Green Trans

Z-82 Terracotta ..................... Z-772 Blue Grass Green

Z-705 Metallic Green Trans (reduced)
Old 2011-02-01, 10:54am
I'm a lilac!

Oooh, gorgeous! Thank you!

Old 2011-02-01, 10:56am
Semi Retired

Patty has a nice paddle showing the Z971. The beads are made with size 1 Z971 silver foil and Vetrofond dirty white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
What's the 971? Is it cool? Tell us about it!

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-02-01, 11:10am
I'm a lilac!

It's beautiful!

Old 2011-02-01, 11:32am

I bought the Mountain Blue primarily because I've seen Andrea Guarino mention it as one of her favorite colors. I wish I had been quick enough to get the powder too.
Old 2011-02-01, 12:25pm
I'm a lilac!

OCR only has it in rod now... I'm not sure I'm that dedicated to getting it, but maybe one of the enterprising frit vendors will buy it up and make it into frit.

I was completely skeptical about the Metallic Blue, but when I took the beads out of the kiln this morning they are beautiful! My new camera is on its way, I'll take pictures when it gets here.

Old 2011-02-01, 1:08pm

Can't wait to see your pics of the metallic blue Kalera
Old 2011-02-01, 1:38pm

Can't wait to see the pictures of the metallic blue. I have a big bag of it & haven't had a chance to play with it.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-02-01, 1:40pm
I'm a lilac!

I was just on the phone with OCR, and it looks like they are out of a ton of stuff, including the Mountain Blue rods and also the Blue Grass Green. I am hoping the gray I ordered makes it! I am looking for a good, dense, creamy gray.

Has anyone found that any of the greens, or any other colors for that matter, tend to devitrify and spread? That's the look I like...

Old 2011-02-01, 5:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eplanet View Post
We're working on it.......hopefully done very soon.
Also have a bunch of Z-99/Z-851 frit mix coming from old stock we had on hand
Oh cool!

My new camera hasn't arrived yet or I'd have pics up of that metallic blue... it's a little like the Loetz lusters, in some ways. Pitted and antiquey, with lots of color variation.

Old 2011-02-01, 6:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Has anyone found that any of the greens, or any other colors for that matter, tend to devitrify and spread? That's the look I like...
I've found that Mountain Blue devits like Z-99. I don't care for it but my brother and BIL use it a lot in their beads. I couldn't find any current bead pics but I lifted these from their old blog; unfortunately the pics aren't large enough to see the subtle shade changes in the blue portions too well.

http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.c...ead-rioso.html

http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.c...in-forest.html

http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.c...d-sephira.html

Old 2011-02-01, 6:56pm
I'm a lilac!

Utterly gorgeous beads!!

Old 2011-02-01, 8:42pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
I bought some stuff from Olympic today, and a lot of what is on the website is completely gone (Z-850 and Z-673 are totally, absolutely sold out) I'd assume many of the others haven't been updated as well. So disappointing, but I did manage to snag a tiny bit of Z-850 powder, which I am so excited about.
They don't display what they have in stock in real time.
I got several times burned that I ordered a large order and afterwards it turned out that some colors were not in stock.
Then I had to order these colors somewhere else, which doubled the shipping costs.

Unfortunately that is the reason that I no longer order with them.
Can't understand that they don't offer real time updates.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-02-01, 8:43pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eplanet View Post
We're working on it.......hopefully done very soon.
Also have a bunch of Z-99/Z-851 frit mix coming from old stock
Yay !!!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-02-01, 10:34pm
I'm a lilac!

So, on the topic of what colors *aren't* so wow... Z-353 salmon pink size #0. Just meh. I also got some powder, which isn't amazing but is workable... the #0 seems like it might be rocky from furnace debris or something. Not only is it not a very remarkable color (pretty enough, but not remarkable) but also there are lots and lots of bits that don't seem to want to melt in. We'll see what the beads look like when I take them out of the kiln, but right now I'm kind of wondering if I can return it... otherwise I'll have 1/2 kilo of this stuff I don't even think is particularly usable, and it wasn't all that cheap, either. So, if you're shopping, my suggestion is to save your money and skip this one.

Old 2011-02-02, 9:15am
Lampworkaholic!

I love the Zimmerman Coral Pink cane as a base color, the frit not so much.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-02, 10:54am
I'm a lilac!

Yeah, I could see it as a base color. The color is pretty... but this frit is stony. I'm going to ask them if I can send it back, it's awful. The other sizes might be fine; I have the powder and that's fine, but the #0 is unusable.

Old 2011-02-02, 8:21pm

I have some zimmerman frit (I think size 1) that is purple and green. I have it labeld as z-99, do you think that is right or is it the z851 or z850? I used to have more but gave it away years ago, darn it!

Become a fan on Facebook: