No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-12-12, 2:26pm
Katherine

Default torching in a trailer in Chicago during winter

I live in the Chicagoland area, have my studio in a detached garage and have a travel trailer sitting in my driveway. Is it safe for me to move my torch into our travel trailer and torch there when it is below freezing outside?

I believe have the ventilation worked out and am thinking about buying a strong electric heater to use instead of the built in propane heater since it has an igniter that sparks to start the heat. But when the trailer is not in use it will be very cold in there.

So my question is if I go out to the trailer and turn on the heat an hour or so before torching will it be safe to then use my torch inside the trailer? I am thinking about the propane tank and regulator in particular. But would like pointers about any of this idea as I hate to go through another winter without lampworking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-12, 4:49pm
honorary bead lady

Well you still have to deal with ventilation in the trailer and a power supply.
Sure you can go heat the trailer but your vent is going to suck it all out, not to mention that the trailer is about as insulated as the garage.

If you are in a detached Garage why not wall off an area for your studio? insulate and sheetrork the walls.
Are the cars parked in the garage?
Old 2010-12-12, 9:09pm
Katherine

David there are no cars in the garage but also not much space as it is mainly my husbands' workshop space. Your idea of walling off the garage is a good one, however, I am sure I would not be able to talk my husband into walling off an area for me in the garage since it is so tight in there already. I have already taken over the basement with my crafts so the garage is his only space

There is the same power supply (an outside outlet) that feeds either the garage or the trailer which is 30 amps. The trailer then has electrical outlets inside and also lights and is double insulated. But I think I understand what you mean about the vent sucking out the heat. In the garage I have noticed that I can tolerate the cold much better than the glass can but when it gets to around freezing temperature my beads sometimes crack due to the chill in the area. So I have a small space heater sitting on the table warming the area around the torch. i was thinking I could get it to stay a bit warmer in the trailer. But for safety am concerned about the propane and regulator being frozen before I turn the heater on. Is that an issue? Or am I just in lala land thinking this could work out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-12, 9:33pm
honorary bead lady

Well the propane can be resolved, but you would still need to work on ventilation to not be sucking out all of your heated room air.
Why not a studio in the basement?
Old 2010-12-12, 9:37pm
Alaska Boro

If using tanked oxygen you should be fine with Chicago weather. However a concentrator likes to run in the range of 5 to 40 degrees C. And better if the temperature is kept content in a normal in home patient range.
Old 2010-12-12, 9:39pm
Katherine

In the basement (which again is small) there is a pilot light for the water heater, a gas dryer with a igniter that sparks to turn it on, and a natural gas heater that again uses an igniter which sparks to turn on. And no ventilation to speak of.

Old 2010-12-12, 9:44pm
Katherine

Not to sound dumb but .... what is 5 to 40 degrees C translate to in Fahrenheit?

I do also have tanked oxygen in the garage in addition to my oxycon but I would not be physically be able to lift them into the trailer. And where I live I have to take my tanks to be filled and bring them back myself. We have a law here that does not allow the trucks that deliver the oxygen on the residential streets

Old 2010-12-13, 6:57am
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Well the propane can be resolved, but you would still need to work on ventilation to not be sucking out all of your heated room air.
Any thoughts on how I might do this?

Old 2010-12-13, 4:15pm
honorary bead lady

Well I't isn't going to be easy if you are still planning on using the trailer for camping
Old 2010-12-13, 4:20pm
Katherine

Well if I give up that idea I will have to wait until around March 15th or so to fire up my torch again This is what I have done for the past three winters and guess I was just hoping to feed my addiction earlier than that.

Old 2010-12-13, 4:41pm
Hello?

Why are the pilot lights in the basement giving you concern? Unless you leave your propane nozzle open when not torching you're not going to blow anything up.

Old 2010-12-13, 4:44pm
Katherine

Joe, Ed Hoy warned me to not ever use my torch with propane in the basement. Was he wrong? If so then I would still have to working on ventilation in the basement (and my husband)

Old 2010-12-13, 4:59pm

Hi Katherine, I don't know if this is something you would consider but I thought I would just throw it out there. How about finding a glass studio in your area that you could rent studio time? Since it would be for only 3 months or so, it would save you the headaches and the time of thinking how to torch safely in the trailer...just a thought. Good luck

Old 2010-12-13, 5:16pm
Hello?

The only thing you have to worry about is a leak or leaving the propane nozzle open. I've been torching in our basement for 5 years with the gas dryer, furnace and water heater. I'm still here.

Also, anything can set propane off not just a pilot light sparking. A light switch, a shock from touching something etc.. So where ever we all torch, if you have a big leak it's not going to end well. Thankfully you can smell a gas leak so there is really nothing to worry about as long as your vigilant.

Id be more worried about a space heater burning the house down than my torch.

Old 2010-12-13, 5:28pm
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
The only thing you have to worry about is a leak or leaving the propane nozzle open. I've been torching in our basement for 5 years with the gas dryer, furnace and water heater. I'm still here.

Also, anything can set propane off not just a pilot light sparking. A light switch, a shock from touching something etc.. So where ever we all torch, if you have a big leak it's not going to end well. Thankfully you can smell a gas leak so there is really nothing to worry about as long as your vigilant.

Id be more worried about a space heater burning the house down than my torch.
Joe For some reason, I thought your studio was in your garage and not in your basement. And I really did think one should never torch in a basement with appliances using gas.

Hmm something to think about and discuss with my hubby. Thanks!

Old 2010-12-13, 5:33pm
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy's Artisan Beads View Post
Hi Katherine, I don't know if this is something you would consider but I thought I would just throw it out there. How about finding a glass studio in your area that you could rent studio time? Since it would be for only 3 months or so, it would save you the headaches and the time of thinking how to torch safely in the trailer...just a thought. Good luck
Amy, There is a glass studio around one hour from me in Chicago that has HHs available and has a few open studios per week. That is where I was originally trained and I do like the people there.

And I know there is a studio a bit closer to me in the opposite direction - I will check out their ventilation after the holidays.

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 2010-12-13, 6:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Some thoughts on basement studio...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=430

A studio in basement is perfectly ok... It just takes some extra considerations...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-12-13, 7:53pm
Katherine

Dale, thank you for your informative link. According to your article I have lots of considerations in my basement, including one of those drains that goes directly to the sewer that I never even thought about in relationship to lampworking.

Old 2010-12-21, 9:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
Not to sound dumb but .... what is 5 to 40 degrees C translate to in Fahrenheit?
I learned a little device that helps me translate C into temp ranges my mind understands :S

"At 30 - your hot, at 20 - you're not, at 10 - you sneeze, at 0 - you freeze"

hth
Old 2010-12-23, 7:21am
Katherine

Thanks Heaven it is a cute and helpful saying.

Old 2010-12-29, 9:51pm
wildfire glass studio

We rent space out here at Wildfire. Lots of room so there shouldnt be a problem with scheduling. We would love to have you
Old 2011-02-08, 1:46am

I'm comming into this discussion kind of late, but I work in my garage when its warm out, but during chicago winters I move everything in doors and work infront of my fireplace. ( very close, like on the hearth stone) If I start a fire, it stays warm and actually helps warm my glass rods. Plus the fumes get vented out the chimney!
Old 2011-02-08, 7:42am
Katherine

Dragon, while I am no expert that does not sound very safe. ???

FYI: I gave up on my trailer idea because I got the impression from this thread that it would not work with the cold air coming in and the warm air going out too fast. I am going to sign up for Lil Streets class starting next week which will give me access to a hothead for a reasonable price.