Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-26, 6:26pm
Butterfly Rancher

Default embedding CZ's

I've ordered some cubic zirconia (CZ's) to try with my lampworked beads. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for working with CZ's?

Thanks.
Old 2006-08-26, 9:34pm
make beads not war

CZ's are wonderful as the center of encased florals. Just take your poker, heat up the center of the flower and poke. It'll make a nice indent for the CZ to rest in. Warm the center back again and using tweezers, place the CZ in the indent. Keep the bead warm in the back of the flame, while you heat a rod of clear, then encase. How big are your CZ's? More than 6mm it'll crack after annealing, no matter what. Example below, when I was actually good in encasing. LOL... I think those were 2 or 3mm CZ's.

Old 2006-08-27, 4:52am

Here's another way to embed the CZ's. Place a tiny dab of regular elmer's glue on the top of a stainless steel mandrel. With tweezers, place the CZ into the glue with the flat side on the glue. Let dry.

When you make your bead, you can plunge the CZ into the hot glass, the glue burns off and you've got the CZ into the glass. Now encase!

This tip was from Jinx Garza a few years ago. Works like a charm!

Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-08-27, 6:57am

bees wax works great too. No waiting for glue to dry.
Old 2006-08-27, 8:51am
Gay rights R human rights

Ok here is another question.....

Can you embed any other stones other than cz's? I have a whole wack of lab grown amythests that are about 3mm that I would love to play with.

Leslie
Old 2006-08-27, 9:04am

I'd say just try one to see. I'd think the heat would crack the amethyst but who knows.

Old 2006-08-27, 9:43am

You can check the hardness of the amethyst and see what will work, but when I looked into it, it seemed that the only thing that really works (within any type of a budget!) is czs. The scale of hardness will tell you what can withstand the heat and what can't.

The czs come in some different hues, which can add some interest as well--I got some in pink that are really pretty in the flowers.

Have fun with it!
Old 2006-08-27, 10:13am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Here is another way to place a cz .Place your cz upside down on a marver ( pointy side up) Make your bead and poke a hole where ever you want your cz to be. Heat up the spot and gently put it over the cz. This way shaky hands won't ruin a perfect bead ( I did...numerous times)

Old 2006-08-27, 12:12pm

I saw an implosion bead done with a lab created opal (I think that is what it said) I bought one of the opals at the glass store I go to, but haven't tried it yet. They are pricey, but the effect was really great.
Roy
Old 2006-08-28, 4:24pm

I know a woman who uses these opals in her boro glass jewelry. she also encases them with boro for a jeweler. i have no idea if they'll work with soft glass though.
Old 2006-08-28, 4:30pm

The lab created opals don't work with soft glass. Believe me, I know.

Old 2006-08-30, 8:28pm
Butterfly Rancher

I'm definitely going to need PPP and a new glasses prescription I tried gluing to the end of the mandrel but it definitely takes some practice to embed just right. I also tried turning the CZ point up on the marver, creating a hole and pressing the bead onto it -- but it ended up in the wrong place

Thanks for all the suggestions, if I ever figure this out -- I'll post a photo.
Old 2006-08-30, 9:30pm

Beckah- I get a paper plate, put a small blob of Elmer's glue on it and then sprinkle some CZ's on the other side. Dip the tip of your mandrel in glue- just lightly touch it and you'll have enough. Too much glue and the cz slides. Then I just touch the wet mandrel tip to a CZ that has the flat side up. Easy! I personally like the 2.5 mm size.

Sometimes I need to gently push the cz to center it better.

When I stick them in my bead, I heat that spot really well so it's soft and then just "poke" it in. If I don't heat the area enough it's a lot more difficult and sometimes "sets up" too fast, causing the mandrel to slide and/or cz to go crooked. And then I heat it some more to make sure the glass melts around it a bit.

Old 2006-08-30, 9:41pm
Retired to the flame

Lab opals work great in boro!! I keep a few grams around for some pieces. works best for me if I keep them under 5 mm. I place them in a 10mm tube and slowly shrink the tube around the opal. (keeps out bubbles).

The same tech works for CZ. I wasted a lot of $ worth before I figured this out!
Old 2006-08-30, 10:57pm
runs with pruning shears

Several of the lab created and synthetic stones do work because the the structure is more uniform, more stable. I have boro pieces with lab created rubies and sapphires, as well as opals.

I've been using czs more and more without encasing. Of the ones I've cased, 1 in three cracks over time. I only know this because I have some which have been sitting around for a while (6 months to a year. they are all annnealed, all looked fine, hold up for a while, then at some point little cracks develop. None has yet broken, but tiny fractures and crazing appear.

Lately I've been embedding them on the surface and letting the glass form a little bezel.

I heat and poke with a brass punch , a tungston pick will work too, but it's a little more difficult. Then i pick one up with a tweezer, flash it in the flame and place it in the divot. If you place it wrong, just tip it out, and try again. Then hold the bead just under the flame and heat the area with the cz and just around it. the glas will well up a little and form a tiny bezel. You don't get the magnification you get with casing, but there's more sparkle, and no cracking.
aloha,
Elise
Old 2006-08-31, 5:54am

Has anyone here ever had problems with their CZs cracking from the heat? I don't know if I just had a bad batch of CZs or what, but I kept having trouble with them cracking when I'd encase them. The glass was fine, though.

Blair
Old 2006-08-31, 6:14pm

Not all CZ's can take the heat. Its important that you purchase "cast in place" CZ's. These are specifically designed to take the high heat of casting in metals. Some of the cheapest CZ's on the market dont hold up to the heat.
Old 2017-09-03, 12:20pm

Default CZ Cracking Glass

Hi all,

My CZs are pretty small, but I am noticing some of my beads are cracking where the CZ is placed. Is there a way to avoid this? I noticed it does not happen in every bead, but it would be great to figure out how to avoid this if possible.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Old 2017-09-07, 10:36pm
Naysayer

Could be the glass? I haven't used cz's, just taking a guess. Any common thing that you see with the ones that cracked?
Old 2017-09-09, 6:45am

I am not sure. I noticed it took a while, but ended up with a spiderweb crack right where the CZ was placed. Maybe they cool differently than the glass? Thermal shock in that spot?

-
-
Old 2017-09-10, 1:17pm
Naysayer

oh for sure they cool differently. Are they going from flame to kiln or batch annealing? Are you using the CZ's mentioned above, the "cast in place"? They can stand the heat.

Hope someone hops on that uses them