AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-11-23, 12:01am

A failed blown object doesn't have to be trashed, melt it down, make a marble, pull a pendant, but certainly it can be a nice save in some respects. I really am terrible at this blown stuff, but something always nice becomes of it.
Murf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-11-29, 6:08am
Borovangelist

So remember how I mentioned that a bulb could potentially maybe blow up in the kiln? Had that happen last night for the first time. What a mess. It makes me like that 6" thick blast...err...kiln door.

|
|
Old 2007-11-29, 7:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
So remember how I mentioned that a bulb could potentially maybe blow up in the kiln? Had that happen last night for the first time. What a mess. It makes me like that 6" thick blast...err...kiln door.
Not good!! I bet that was a "blast" to clean up! At least you have tried.........maybe when I feel better I'll get to it. I cant wait for Dons wisdom!
Old 2007-11-29, 7:32am
Borovangelist

eh, I keep a piece of fiber blanket on my kiln floor to cushion the landing of things as I put them in, so I was able to just pull that out and turn it over into the trash

It's the first explosion out of about 35 successful ornaments, so that's not a bad run

|
|
Old 2007-12-02, 10:59am

do they explode a lot? what causes that? how can we stop it from happening?

Old 2007-12-02, 12:58pm
Borovangelist

A lot as in often? Nah.

Best guess I have for why it happens is that the air inside expands quite a bit and it goes boom. May have even imploded as opposed to exploded. Either way it was a mess.

I usually let them cool a bit before I put the loop on and seal them, so maybe this one was still hot when it went in. It was the first time it's happened to me.

|
|
Old 2007-12-02, 5:21pm

Yes sent you a pm. Yes I would like to have a blown tut on ornaments and then the fishie. Thanks.

Rose Leslie