Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

View Poll Results: Which is better; Cloud Dome or Table Top Cube?
Cloud Dome 14 14.29%
Table Top Cube 84 85.71%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-18, 4:23pm

Hi there. I got some great info at tabletopstudio.com. They don't compare the 2 different products but they show the cube. They sell everything, but honestly I bought a cube on Ebay for $20. Good luck.
Old 2009-01-19, 10:18am
Everybody Needs Beads!

They have basically the same light set up at Harbor Frieght for $10 less...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65797

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beadygirlt. on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-19, 11:26am

Thanks for the info. Tera as I was planning on heading out to Harbor Freight.

Debbie
Old 2009-01-20, 8:17am
Lampworker

i have a cloud dome and like it.

tip: use some short 2x4s to raise the dome up off the table and you get enough light in to have a little glare so your glass doesnt look matte.
Old 2009-04-03, 10:49am

Looking for the same or equivelent quality light tent set up in Canada.Shipping ect from the the states is killer,anybodys help is appreciated.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-04-03, 5:20pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanokaren View Post
Looking for the same or equivelent quality light tent set up in Canada.Shipping ect from the the states is killer,anybodys help is appreciated.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Which set-up? The cube or the cloud dome? The $12 cube I have is only $3 shipping to Canada. It's just the cube with no lights, though. (I use $5 clamp lights with daylight bulbs.)

Old 2009-04-03, 10:39pm

Sorry..to clarify it's the table top studio mentioned near the beginning of the thread,It's pretty sweet .It is a gift for my B.Day[spoiled]...I'd really like to do the whole shebang at one time and like this set up but was wondering if there is one like it sold in Canada,other wise this looks like the one .

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-04-03, 11:21pm
Entropy increasing....

I use neither. I sold my cube. I don't find it necessary.
Old 2009-08-24, 7:06am
Mary Lockwood

LOL, I use a plastic grocery sack.

Old 2009-08-25, 3:18pm

Mary I'd like to see how you use the grocery sack. Do you drape it over something?

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-08-25, 7:59pm
Borovangelist

Do any of you actually use the nylon colored backgrounds the cubes come with? I find they have so many wrinkles they're not worth the bother. It's easier to just get some cardboard from the scrapbooking section of the craft store.

|
|
Old 2009-10-09, 12:28am

Well I do not know about the two and difference between the two, but I have voted in favor of Table Top Cube. Any one who knows about it please elaborate it.

Old 2009-10-29, 4:31am

Default Cube lighting

Shawnette (or anyone),

what do you use for lighting? I have two ott lamps would that work?
Old 2009-12-18, 6:52am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnbresn View Post
I myself recently picked up the Bead Photography Kit from Tabletop studios
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/ for 275.00

RIP OFF!!!!!

Old 2010-01-05, 6:23pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertracey View Post
This looks pretty complete...not a bad price...

http://www.thelashop.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
I was just going to order that until I found out the shipping to Canada is $68.00.....I had to email the company and tell them they made a big mistake on the shipping....it's more than the cost of the item! I'm not ordering a friggen refrigerator....LOL!

Janet

Old 2010-01-18, 7:02am

Got here late, but here is my $.02 worth. The Cloud dome can produce very good pictures AFTER you master the learning curve. I was never able to master the learning curve.

With that in mind, if anyone would like a Cloud dome set up, I will be happy to send you mine for the cost of packing and shipping. I will take it to FedX and have them pack it and ship it. You would be responsible for what they charge me for this service.

If anyone wants it, it goes to the first person that pm's me...Smithy
Old 2010-01-18, 4:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Do any of you actually use the nylon colored backgrounds the cubes come with? I find they have so many wrinkles they're not worth the bother. It's easier to just get some cardboard from the scrapbooking section of the craft store.
I use them sometimes. I also buy a nylon that is closer to what comes on umbrellas, softboxes and light tents, Sport Nylon. It's a bit thicker than rip-stop nylon and doesn't have all those little zig-zag stiches that you can see in rip-stop. I buyit in different colors although white and black are what I use the most. It's also good for making light panels using PVC tubes.

To get the wrinkles and creases out, I get it wet (it doesn't really get wet since it doesn't absorb water) and throw it into the dryer for about 5 minutes or so. When I take it out I give it a good shake and as long as I don't wad or fold it up, there aren't any wrinkles. You can buy Sport Nylon at JoAnn's (it's by the rip-stop nylon) or buy it from a place like Seattle Frabric's. I made 2 6'x4' light panels out of it and PVC pipe and used that for a long time rather than a light tent. I paid $35 for all the materials I used, but I could have bought less and still had stuff left over like I did.

Mike
Old 2010-01-19, 9:17pm
Borovangelist

oooh, I like the dryer idea, thanks! I was going to try ironing it in a wet towel, but your idea's less hassle

|
|
Old 2011-05-01, 7:20pm
grama punky - class junky

I bought a white sheet ($3)... made panels and pinned (.59) them in place on one of my pantry closet shelves. I bought two $8 work light from menards. Had a piece of mirror (free) and it all works just fine for less than $20.

Old 2011-05-01, 9:45pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

We'd like to see a picture, Donna!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2011-05-25, 11:54pm

I use the cloud dome since nothing else was working when shooting my wife's cloisonne enamel work, the combination of glass and polished silver was to much glare, none of the tent things helped, it did take me a bit to learn how to best use it, we did find it needs a lot of light source and given my preferences I will just shoot outside when lighting permits.
I do also use a digital SLR that fits the holding bracket and a high quality macro lens.

#C-151
Old 2013-04-18, 9:16am
I fart diamonds

I have one of the cheap photo cubes and it works great but recently I made a much bigger one with PVC and a white sheet. It's a ghetto rig, but it works great and everything fits inside!!

(and it cost less than $10!)

Old 2013-04-18, 9:30am
I fart diamonds

The set up:

Example pics:

Old 2013-04-18, 1:13pm

so I want to amend my original vote, they both suck lol
I have both and got ok results from them, but after taking Doug Baldwins class at the Gathering last year and picking up a pair of the lights he makes I no longer use either my cube or my cloud dome.
I highly recommended taking one of his classes if you can.
here are pics I took using what I learned and the lights, other than cropping and a quick white balance adjustment there is no Photoshop manipulation in the first two.
The last one one using Photoshop and what I learned in the class on how to make a reflection

#C-151

Last edited by Baywinger; 2013-04-18 at 7:00pm.
Old 2013-06-20, 5:44am

Very pretty Morgan! (Wish I was going to the gathering to take his class!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
so I want to amend my original vote, they both suck lol
I have both and got ok results from them, but after taking Doug Baldwins class at the Gathering last year and picking up a pair of the lights he makes I no longer use either my cube or my cloud dome.
I highly recommended taking one of his classes if you can.
here are pics I took using what I learned and the lights, other than cropping and a quick white balance adjustment there is no Photoshop manipulation in the first two.
The last one one using Photoshop and what I learned in the class on how to make a reflection

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-06-21, 9:38pm
Pixel Dude

Hello Julieann1674,
I'd love to have you join my photo class at the Gathering on July 23 & 24 in Rochester. There are seats still available. Morgan was a student in my class at last year's Gathering. It's a 2-day class. The first day we go through the 10 parameters that make a good photo, adjusting the camera's settings and menus for the highest quality photos possible, how to light your art for professional results and then the students spend about 4-5 hours shooting their own jewelry, beads and glass art using lights I bring to class. The second day we spend on Photoshop. There is a description and photos about the upcoming class in the Classes section of this LE website. Hope you'll join us.
Doug
dougbaldwinphoto.com

Old 2013-06-21, 10:25pm
Angie09

I just had a 4 hour private lesson with Doug in Prescott, AZ. Worth every penny!! He has the solutions to taking photos of beads and jewelry. I can't wait to get back home and try out what he taught me and play with my new lights. I HIGHLY recommend taking any class you can with Doug!!!