Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-05-20, 11:14am

Default May Show n Tell

How do we not have a thread yet?

anyway...new dragon

What did you make

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-05-21, 12:14pm
Borosapien

Love the Dragon
Here is some of my work

Old 2014-05-22, 7:39pm

Here's what I made today. Two wine stopper toppers, a marble and a pendant.

These aren't the sharpest photos, because they were taken with my Samsung S-III cell phone. They are not too bad, though, considereing that.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-05-23, 6:38am
Flamewoman

Default New marbles

These are in the marble room, thought I would post them here too.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-23, 10:33pm

Really nice work everyone! Love seeing what people are making.

Here are a couple:

Old 2014-05-24, 7:13pm
Flamewoman

Nice Will!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-25, 12:20pm
hyperT

Default Dragon

Boro Wnged Serpentine Dragon 22k gold accents and rhinestone eyes.
Made from half inch rod with scales added. 7 inches long. It's a small one.
Old 2014-05-25, 3:10pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Nice work everyone! Whats up hyper that dragon is a beaut. Hey im from San Antonio too.
Old 2014-05-25, 4:29pm
hyperT

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPat View Post
Nice work everyone! Whats up hyper that dragon is a beaut. Hey im from San Antonio too.
Hey cool! I was checking out your facebook page nice work.
Old 2014-05-25, 4:45pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Thanks hyperT! Nice to know another Lampworker close to home. Jus looking at some of your post very nice!

Last edited by PhatPat; 2014-05-25 at 4:47pm.
Old 2014-05-25, 9:10pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post

Boro Wnged Serpentine Dragon 22k gold accents and rhinestone eyes.
Made from half inch rod with scales added. 7 inches long. It's a small one.
Beautiful! How do you get that gold on there? I can imagine
that is just amazing in person.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-26, 5:28pm

Beautiful Hyper, I also would would like to know how you got the gold on there.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-05-26, 9:45pm

Thirds the gold q! Is it a gold paint your using?

Old 2014-05-26, 9:59pm

I could tell ya but someone already has lol

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11407
Old 2014-05-26, 10:14pm

That doesnt look like fuming though 0o where is the pink on the rest of the bits?

Old 2014-05-27, 1:24am
Borosapien

That looks like gold luster can be wrong though... love the dragon

Old 2014-05-27, 4:44am
hyperT

Default Gold

The gold is reduced to a liquid with organic solvents. Then applied to the piece and fired at the annealing point. You are correct marcel it is a luster. Haven't you see it on expensive wine glasses before? Thermal Chemical plating. It can also be used to fume with. A lot of ceramic shops sell it. I think it is call Liquid Brite Gold made by Duncan Ceramics Co. Yes, It will work on your soft glass too. Ask me how I Know. Ventilate and don't breath the initial fumes. On this piece I have fumed and fired the gold.

Have fun.
Old 2014-05-27, 8:00am

Default Dragon's Eye

My first attempt at a eye pendant

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2014-05-27, 9:02pm

Thanks Hyper.

Glitzy, looks like you've got your eye on us. Nice pendant. I made several eyes a few years ago. Was showing some pendants to some girls and one of them said that she didn't see anything she liked. I looked at her and for some reason I thought "eye pendant" and told her that I had something that she would like. I pulled out the eye pendants and she said that that was what she was looking for. Turns out that she had an eye tatooed on her shoulder.

Old 2014-05-28, 12:26am

Thanks Greg - jeez - I didn't mean for the pic to be that big - will def resize in the future!!! I used the eye tutorial I found on this site. I have been a lurker - I mean observer for a few years now - just was a bit shy to post - lol. My family was creeped out by the eye - but it sold within 2 hours on my site so I guess there are people like me out there - lol.

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2014-05-29, 3:28pm

There must be something in the air at the moment. I too was struck with the "make eyes" bug. These are my first eyeballs which sort of follow Christian Arnold's tute. The one on the left has been into the caffeine a bit too much I think.

Old 2014-05-29, 9:08pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionah View Post

There must be something in the air at the moment. I too was struck with the "make eyes" bug. These are my first eyeballs which sort of follow Christian Arnold's tute. The one on the left has been into the caffeine a bit too much I think.
These are awesome! What white did you use? they look so perfect & clean.
Really well done.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-29, 9:14pm

I used star white, but it isn't as opaque as I would like. Will have to put more on next time or try a different one. I'm trying to use as little as possible because of cost. Do you know which if the whites is the most opaque?

Old 2014-05-30, 9:21am
Flamewoman

I only use chinese white, it doesn't boil like the other whites. Is the center clear on these? I have no idea how you got that white on so smooth looking. Nice.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-30, 3:50pm

Interesting. I will try to get some. And yes, I made a clear marble and then coiled the white onto that. I probably go slower that most people. I couldn't think of any other way to create a single coloured marble (except solid colour which would be too expensive, for me at least)

Old 2014-05-30, 4:17pm

Some of the blowers here prefer the Chinese Jade white over the Chinese regular white

Old 2014-05-30, 6:46pm
Flamewoman

Ahh...never have heard of it, but it's on my list now. Chinese Jade White. What is different about it?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-06-02, 7:56am

I LOVE your eyes Fionah!! Thank you for sharing - and thanks everyone for the tips on the best white

Old 2014-06-04, 8:04pm

On whites: Chinese White on the left eyeball and ns star white on the right. The Chinese is so much more opaque and barely bubbles. I'm amazed and a bit scared about what might be in it to make so much difference. I turned my ventilation fan up to max.
And... On gold fuming, the Chinese White seems to be easier to get more pink. Probably because if less "phaffing around and being being careful not to bubble the dots" so it didn't have time to burn away before I was finished dotting up the implosion.
So thank you once again Mary for the suggestion.

Old 2014-06-04, 8:28pm
Flamewoman

So pretty what you did with that Chinese white. And I would personally use my fan on high all the time, as all glass will fume off different metals & etc stuff you don't want to be breathing even just a little of. I am paranoid I know, but better as safe as you can be than sorry.

PLEASE like my page!