Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-08-13, 10:05am
Mr. Cellophane

Default Midwest Glass Experience Andrea Guarino, Ofilia Cinta, Steve Sizelove, Kate Mckinnon

This year we will add more torches, new classes, nationally recognized instructors, all held at one of the most exciting glass studios in the Midwest..
40 torches this year and....drum roll please...here is our list of teachers.

Andrea Guarino http://www.andreaguarino.com/
Ofilia Cinta http://www.ofiliaartglass.com/
Steve Sizelove http://www.stevesizelove.com/gallerypage.html
Kate Mckinnon http://www.katemckinnon.com/
Libby Leuchtman www.thirddegreeglassfactory.com

You don't want to miss out on this one of a kind experience.

Vendor Night - Valentines Night Bash - Bead Bazaar - Hot Shop - Kilnworking - Flameworking

Registration will open in the fall. Spots will fill quickly. Please follow this link to fill out a form to receive all updates via email.

http://www.thirddegreeglassfactory.c...3/Default.aspx

Don't forget to scroll down on the page to see a slide show of last years event!

IMPORTANT UPDATE CLASSES POSTED BELOW

Andreas Classes
Off Mandrel and Glass Powders
Learn how to make my signature off mandrel hearts. We will work with glass powders to get some really nice reactions. Learn how to create a hole using a tungsten poker. We will also make some beads using the powders. I will teach you how to apply silver mesh and fine silver wire as well. Also we will make twisted canes and apply them to the hearts and the beads.

Silver Fuming – Making Galaxy and Moth Wing Beads

Learn how to fume using fine silver to change the appearance of Effetre glass. In this 4 hour class we will make some moth wing and galaxy beads. See how fuming with silver can give you new colors to work with.

Ofilia’s Classes
Exploring Bullseye
The workshop will focus on using the various forms of glass for torch application. It will include frit use, sheet glass and dichroic applications. Creating “depth” in your layering of colors to give your surface rich effects. Take advantage of the using the properties of the glass forms, exploring beyond the convenient rod form. Simple concentric circle murrine will also be covered.

Hollow Fish

Figurative hollow fish with attitude! Take your hollow bead to a fanciful figurative fish. Learn all my tips for making my all time favorite bead. Figurative back ground experience not needed, but if you practice your hollow shapes, it will be helpful to get a move on in this timeframe.
Workshops will be taught in Bullseye glass, but the techniques covered can be translated to any soft glass of preference.

Steve Sizelove Classes
Fundamentals of Hollow Flameworking:
In this class Steve will help students with core techniques used to work boro tubing.
Pulling point, blowing bubbles, opening goblet cups, and flaring feet will be covered.
Students will also get an introduction to working with traditional glass blowing
tools like jacks and diamond shears

Out of the Clear and into the Color:
Steve will demonstrate intermediate to advanced techniques used to create colored
boro tubing. With a goal of a unique scent bottle, sections of the tubing will
be manipulated and re-assembled to illustrate the versatility of boro glass.
Students are encouraged to work outside or their comfort zone and try new thing.
Let’s have fun!

Libby’s Classes
Hollow core vessels
Learn how to created a core vessel using a mandrel, steel wool and bead release. Find out
the secrets to making sure the core vessel form will produce a beautiful piece and not break. Also covered will be how to make ribbon cane, latticino, and how to apply them to your vessel.

Murinni Window Bead class
Want to make a cool peace sign murrini, how about a ying/yang sign? This class will teach you to make a beautiful murinni and apply it in a window bead so it will not smear and be crisp and clean. This class will give you the tools to create your own murrini’s at home, and learn new skill set. This is an off mandrel class.

Kate’s Classes
Ring class
Make several and exciting and sturdy rings with your handmade glass. Kate will show you how to make ring bases that can hold beads on wires, rivets, or in settings that are simple, but designed to fit your beads. Make your own settings from scratch, or purchase kits from Kate that begin with already-prepared bases.

Setting Lampworked Beads

Learn to set your beads in handmade metal mechanisms that both showcase and protect them.
This session will show you how to set simple beads, as well as great tricks for hanging or showcasing large, unusually shaped, or otherwise “difficult” beads into simple, one-of-a-kind settings. Make your own settings from scratch, or purchase kits from Kate that begin with prepared elements.

Melissa’s Classes
Intro to Resin
This class will introduce you how to use resin in jewelry and other applications. We'll go over safety precautions, proper mixing and pouring. Embed small objects, images, paper etc to great effect! We'll also go over how to use pigments for vibrant, colorful pieces. No experience is necessary!

Switchback Canes (aka wig-wags)

Learn to make amazing switchback canes that produce an amazing effect! It's almost like pulling a twistie, but just a little more complicated. We'll go over heat control, tips on how to make them smooth and show how to apply them to your beads.

In addition to these classes there will also be Hot shop, kiln, basic silversmithing, lapidary and pate vere classes.
Look for those descriptions soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Libby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Libby L.; 2009-09-07 at 7:11am. Reason: Title change made clearer
Old 2009-08-13, 6:05pm
Velda Joy Rumfelt

Dang, you did a good job! Can't wait....

"Glass is thicker than water"

Old 2009-08-13, 6:08pm
Mr. Cellophane

Yippeee I can't wait either! I talked to Steve Sizelove today and he is super nice.
We even have a silversmith coming to teach basic silversmithing techniques, like how to
make soldered jump rings!

Libby

Old 2009-08-13, 8:29pm
Fusing Glass

OMG I want to go again! It was the best thing I ever did!!!!!
Old 2009-08-14, 6:56am
Mr. Cellophane

We would love to have you Mary! We need vendors for our vendor night..hint, hint.

Libby

Old 2009-08-14, 8:16am
Dead man walking

Steve is a great guy, spent a week with him in his studio, he's an excellent instructor!
Old 2009-08-14, 8:49am

Wow, this looks like a fantastic lineup. I have already registered for info, and will block out this weekend. I do so miss my glassy buddies in Cleveland, so will love to come in. If anyone wants to come who is in the Cleveland area, PM me and we can plan the trip.
Old 2009-08-14, 8:50am

Smile

Oh, yeah !! I get to meet Steve. Who could forget his insightful article on Lucio Bubacco for the Flow a while back. And it'll be great to meet up again with buddies Andrea and Kate, long time no see!

I can't wait to "experience" the Midwest Glass Experience! I heard so many great things about last year's event. Looking forward to it and making all kinds of plans to make it super fun from my end.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-08-14 at 8:52am.
Old 2009-08-14, 5:53pm
Booger #7

Sweeeeeeet! I'm going to make it there this year for sure for more than just the open house! Yippee!

Old 2009-08-14, 8:06pm
Mr. Cellophane

REALLY Sue!!! Oh my gosh that would be soooo cool. I can't wait! I think this one will be really good, with tons of new and different classes.
Are you coming in Oct. to Beckys? I am going to try and make it over to her house so I can see everyone.

Libby

Old 2009-08-16, 1:25pm
Metallic Flame Studios

when is registration going to open? I need to save my deposit money back!!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2009-08-16, 3:09pm
Snow Flake Glass Lady

I am SOOOOOOOOO There. Last year was the awsomest thing! And I can't wait to finally meet Ofila! Such a nice lady.

Thanks so much to Libby and 3rd Degree for deciding to continue this event..

... Is it October - February - May yet?

Is it May yet?
Peggy

droolin' on my mini cc with canned propane and an oxygenator

Old 2009-08-16, 3:17pm
Snow Flake Glass Lady

Default P.S.

KILN FIRED PIZZA! KILN FIRED PIZZA! KILN FIRED PIZZA! KILN FIRED PIZZA! KILN FIRED PIZZA! KILN FIRED PIZZA!

Is it May yet?
Peggy

Old 2009-08-17, 12:01pm
Mr. Cellophane

Heheheh the Kiln fire Pizza's were fun! I am hoping we can do it again but more organized this time. Maybe have three kilns on instead of just one.
Registration will happen in just a couple of weeks. Make sure you sign up for the emails or that you join the facebook group.

Libby

Old 2009-08-18, 12:44pm
Mr. Cellophane

Ohh wanted to post the video from last year so you guys could see what a blast we had!

http://vimeo.com/4168738

Libby

Last edited by Libby L.; 2009-08-19 at 3:37pm.
Old 2009-08-19, 4:47pm

Smile

Hi Peggy !! February will be around the corner before you know it!

Old 2009-08-19, 6:52pm
Bead Imp

I can't wait! Last year was so much fun! Hopefully I can talk a couple of my Arkansas bead buddies into joining me!

Old 2009-08-19, 8:05pm
Mr. Cellophane

Oh Vicki I sure hope you can get some of your buddies to come. They would have a blast.
See you in Feb.

Libby

Old 2009-08-19, 8:47pm
Fire Monkey

I had a great time last year!
I wish I could do it again this year.

Old 2009-08-21, 7:48pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

YAY! Count me in this time.

Deb Cline
Old 2009-08-22, 10:46am
Mr. Cellophane

Yea Deb!
I have recieved almost all the classes descriptions from our artist so those will be up in the next couple of weeks.
Make sure you sign up on the Third Degree site for email updates.
I will also post them here and on facebook.

Libby

Old 2009-08-28, 7:09pm
Mr. Cellophane

The class descriptions are 90% done.

Libby

Old 2009-09-04, 3:49pm
Mr. Cellophane

Look for updates to be coming very soon!

Libby

Old 2009-09-04, 8:36pm

Just peeking at this and decided I'm going to do everything I can to make it. I've not done anything like this before, so I'm a little nervous and a lot excited!

Old 2009-09-05, 4:36am
Smooches!

It's a lot of fun, you get to meet really cool people (like me!) Ok, there might be some "other" cool people there too.

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2009-09-05, 6:23am
Snow Flake Glass Lady

Hey, I'm Cool

Is it May yet?
Peggy

Old 2009-09-05, 2:14pm
Mr. Cellophane

Debi you will love it, and learn so much. All the MGE peeps are super cool!

Libby

Old 2009-09-07, 7:18am
Mr. Cellophane

I have updated the first page with class descriptions. This is just some of the classes more will be coming, such as coldworking (lapiday), hotshop, kiln, silversmithing, pate vere, and tons more!

I have also posted some of the great beads that Andrea will be teaching and a beautiful ring that Kate Mckinnon will be teaching.

Is it Feb yet?
Attached Images

Libby

Old 2009-09-07, 6:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby L. View Post
I have updated the first page with class descriptions. This is just some of the classes more will be coming, such as coldworking (lapiday), hotshop, kiln, silversmithing, pate vere, and tons more!

I have also posted some of the great beads that Andrea will be teaching and a beautiful ring that Kate Mckinnon will be teaching.

Is it Feb yet?
Libby, I'm lost. I'm not finding class descriptions. Link please?

Old 2009-09-07, 6:46pm
Mr. Cellophane

Hey Debi, go to the very first post in this thread.
Make sure if you have any questions to just ask..that's what I am here for!

Libby