Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-05-15, 5:51pm
Lifelong Student

Default Air in, air out

I am going to be moving my studio. I found this exhaust: 12 INCH HYDROPONIC 1150CFM INLINE EXHAUST VENT FAN BLOWER. I was wondering if it is the right kind of exhaust and will it be adequate for my studio. I will be in a 10x 10 room that has 8ft ceiling. The window I will vent through is about 15 ft from work station. There will be two gradual bends. I use a mini cc. I won't be using a hood unless I have to.

As far as intake, what kind of fan do I need? Air source will be about 20 ft away from torch. I use an EX-15 concentrator.
Old 2014-05-15, 6:04pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I would seriously recommend you reconsider using a hood.... And get a fan size calculated to match hood...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-05-19, 5:30am
Shelarious

Hi Mina, I use a fan like that for a slightly larger sized room but I am sitting directly in front of it and it's placed in the window. It's extremely effective. To my right is another window & I have ducting coming straight towards me/my bench. The fan is so strong it pulls in air without needed assistance.
If you aren't sitting directly in front of your exhaust i would recommend a hood to capture everything and be the safest you can be. I am working on a hood for my own studio even though what I've got now is very good, but you can't be too safe.

Old 2014-05-19, 6:29am
Lifelong Student

Doesn't a hood let fumes concentrate in one area? In particular the area you a breathing in?
Old 2014-05-20, 6:31am
Gentleman of Leisure

No exactly the opposite it actually cleans the fumes out of the area you are breathing.... You seem to have a misconception on how a "hooded" ventilation system works...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=22&t=150

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=273

Methods described in these two writings are proven over and over again with many happy people with no repository problems....

Suggest you spend some time reading up on ventilation theory and practices and studio safety...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-05-20, 7:45am
Lifelong Student

Thanks Dale. Those articles answered all my questions. Now I can explain to my husband what I need