Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-09-09, 9:45pm

Talking Set-up in a Condo?

I've been out of beading for a year or two, but would like to start up again. I'll be moving to a Condo in a few weeks!!!

I have a freestanding plywood unit with a vent hood and fireproof slabbing on the table surface and 3 walls, and I use a Minor Burner and an Oxygen Concentrator. My workroom would be on an upper floor and I couldn't run a propane line up to the window, so I'm considering the option of Natural Gas which will be available to me at the new place.

I'm looking for a couple of things from everyone...

1) How do I approach the Condo Association with my request (and do they have to be notified as long as the installation is certified by an inspector) and where can I get information in laymans terms to present to them? I can just see them getting all red in the face at the mere mention of a torch!!!

2) The upper level bedroom that I will be using has 2 very large windows, so I'm good there (although not for cross ventilation as they are on the same wall, but I will get lots of fresh air), but what options would I have for venting the range hood system? The lumber/window trick? Have the installer vent it somehow to the bathroom vent across the hall? I know I sound stupid here, but I'm totally clueless.

3) Insurance issues since these are multi-family attached units?

4) Any issues with me sleeping in the bedroom across the hall? Will a CO2 detector take care of a leak alert?

Many, many thanks for any assistance you can lend.

Share with me your enlightenments!!!
Old 2007-09-12, 2:43pm
The Andrea Half

You might pm Frostfire about it here or on The Glass Haven. She torches in a condo. I suspect that inspections are good, and informing your condo association at all is bad

I don't know about the bedroom across the hall, but I think that as long as your setup is properly vented you should be okay. Check with Mike Aurelius (over on AGF or TGH) -- he has the best info I have seen on ventilation issues.

I have NO clue about insurance, but that would be something I would be worried about, too. Check with Frosty to see what she does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.