No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-10-16, 12:52pm
Melting

Default Fit-over glasses for soft glass

Can anyone recommend a good pair of fit-over glasses for soft glass? I wear bifocals so I don't wait to spend a few hundred every time my prescription changes, and I like the extra protection of fit-over glasses. Right now I have a cheap pair that came in my HH kit back when I started lampworking in '07. They aren't actually fit-over but I am small and they are huge so, hey, it works! Since I started on my bobcat a year ago, though, I noticed the flare sometimes gets too bright for me to look at directly. They have plastic lenses so maybe the coating is wearing off.

I am looking at these:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5087

But there isn't much info about them. I've written to find out if they are plastic or glass frames.
I'm willing to spend the money for a good pair that will last indefinitely, so all recommendations are welcomed.

TIA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-10-16, 1:02pm

I have a pair of econo didys th atI got used from the garage sale. The original owner had taken the clear side guards off because they scratched her face. I where glasses, also. What I have learned is that the little "hook" things that the guards attach to in the top of the frames "hook" perfectly over the top of my regular glasses. It is actually a great fit. However, the didys are jsut a little heavy, so I wear a folded up bandana around my forehead. Then when Iput my didys on over my regular glasses, the bandana kind of holds them in place. Umm, the "legs" of the didys fit jsut under hte bandana where they go on ove my ears. Does that make sense?
Old 2009-10-16, 2:17pm

If your current glasses have plastic lenses, you really do need to get new glasses.

I carry the Phillips line of glassworking glasses. Their lenses for working soft glass are called "Phillips 202", or "ACE "(which stands for Amethyst Contrast Enhancer). For your application, you have several options:

* There are several frame styles that can be 'worn over' your existing bi-focals. With the ACE lenses, these typically are in the $54 to $65 range. I have these in stock.

* You can have a set of 'clip-ons' made that fit your bi-focal frames. With the ACE lenses, these run about $90.

* Phillips has taken a flip-up magnifier visor, and replaces the magnifier lens with the ACE lens. Many people find these more comfortable than a double layer of glasses. These cost about $150. I have these in stock too.

* Lastly, some people like to work behind a glass shield. The glass shield is mounted to your bench, and is held in place by a flexible arm. These can be made with the ACE glass, and cost about $180.

It all depends on what's most comfortable for you, and your budget.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-10-16, 2:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
If your current glasses have plastic lenses, you really do need to get new glasses.

Malcolm
Malcolm, I presume you are talking about people's current didys? This is absolutely correct. I had an older pair of plastic economy didys that I got with my first kit, and soon after bought a pair of clip-ons for my glasses. The clip-ons are made of glass. After a couple of years, the plastic ones had faded significantly, but my glass ones are still fine.

Theresa, I also wear bifocals, and my clip-ons work very well. I tried the shield and it just didn't work for my working style. I know there are others for whom it works great.

FYI, there's another interesting discussion about eyewear and eye safety in the Family Room:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=142617

If I need another pair of clip-ons, I'd definitely buy them from Malcolm!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-10-16, 5:15pm
Melting

Thank you for explaining Malcolm! I was concerned because the pair I saw was less expensive than I had expected, but now that you have given me all my options I feel more comfortable with my choice. I am getting the pair from Frantz because I have some glass to be shipped to me anyway.

Diane, I actually did read that thread, that was how I realized I must need new glasses (thank goodness!). I had thought I was just working too hot, or that my eyes were more sensitive...I wasn't sure. Thank you for the help and info!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-10-23, 3:59am
daughter and I

I just got a pair of fitovers from Mountain Glass when I was at Hot Ttimes. I had been binding my readers in those big old didys which where heavy!! These glasses are HEAVEN!!!!!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2009-10-23, 1:39pm
no more

Default Fitovers

Check out the fit-overs we sell.
They are really nice and pretty inexpensive.

Here is a link.

CLICK ME

thanks,

CodyS - ABR
Old 2009-10-24, 7:15am
Snow Flake Glass Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_ABR View Post
Check out the fit-overs we sell.
They are really nice and pretty inexpensive.

Here is a link.

CLICK ME

thanks,

CodyS - ABR

These are the best I've found. I absolutely love them. They are the same frame as the sunglasses I wear over my regular glasses, so I knew they would fit right, not slip down and be very comfortable. I HIGHLY recommend them......

Is it May yet?
Peggy

droolin' on my mini cc with canned propane and an oxygenator

Old 2009-11-01, 5:37am
Melting

I got the ones from Frantz - I think they are the same ones posted by Cody. They are fantastic! I second everything Peggy said about them.
Thanks for all the help, everyone!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-11-01, 3:21pm

Phillips Industrial Size Frame - Ace 202

A large Industrial Safety Frame with molded plastic side shields. Also used for wearing over prescription glasses, if the clip-on is not an option. Provides superior protection for both the eyes and face.
P05L.

these are the ones that fit best over my glasses. I bought them from mountain glass.
http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.983/.f

I now have 2 pair and these are still my favorite pair.

maryc
firebabies
Old 2009-11-01, 3:36pm

yes to the last post suggestion . have them love them
DON"T BUY PLASTIC
Old 2009-11-03, 6:16pm
drinks pickle juice

does anyone who wears them over their RX glasses have plastic frames for their reg. glasses? All my glasses have kinda chunkier plastic frames because I can't stand nosepads so I wonder how the fitovers fit over an already chunkier pair of glasses.
Old 2009-11-03, 6:33pm
Snow Flake Glass Lady

Default plastic frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmonkey View Post
does anyone who wears them over their RX glasses have plastic frames for their reg. glasses? All my glasses have kinda chunkier plastic frames because I can't stand nosepads so I wonder how the fitovers fit over an already chunkier pair of glasses.
yeah, I wear mine over my plastic frame RX glasses.....
I wear the ones Cody is suggesting below, and love 'em.

Is it May yet?
Peggy

droolin' on my mini cc with canned propane and an oxygenator