LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-03, 3:39pm

Default What do you charge for orphan beads?

I am getting ready for an Art Sale and was thinking of trying to sell some of my orphan beads - but have no idea what to price them as??

Wondered what others were charging for them.

Thanks in advance,

Melody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-03, 4:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have a dollar bead bowl and it is VERY popular.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-03, 6:13pm
drinks pickle juice

I think I did either 1 or 2 dollars a bead and they were so popular! Plus, they're handy to give to well-behaved children who are very admiring of beads (the ones that at least were old enough to not put beads in their mouths!).
Old 2009-11-03, 7:33pm
Lampworkaholic!

I have $1 orphans, $3 orphans and $5 orphans.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-03, 7:34pm
Life is change. Love it

I get them to fill a small baggie for $20.00. It works so well, I get rid of my beads very quickly that way!

Old 2009-11-03, 8:26pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I have $1 orphans, $3 orphans and $5 orphans.
That's what I do too.

Old 2009-11-03, 8:31pm

I usually do $1. When I had two bowls it was too confusing. I sold $70 last time at the Farmer's Market worth of $1 beads.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-11-03, 9:54pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

$1? $2? I'm quite shocked.
Do you mean with orphans flawless beads that just didn't fit within the original set (color or pattern)? Or do you mean seconds?

If I have orphans (NOT seconds) and someone is interested in them, I usually sell them at a slightly discounted price. If a normal bead is $12, I would charge for the orphan $8.

But normally I'm just doing a couple of new beads that match and sell them either as a "mini set" or make a complete new set in same design/style as the orphan bead.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-04, 5:10am
BeadsonCypress

I also use the bowl (or tray) approach. It gets lots of attention...ususally $1 for a medium sized bead and I let them take a couple of spacers....I also give the "little" kids their choice of one bead and put it on some satin cord or ribbon.....I make quite a bit each time I do this and at my last show I cleaned out my trays to make room for the new season's new beads....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-11-04, 7:50am
He can do the origami

I make pendants so I do not have actual "orphans", however if I have pendants left over at the end of a show cycle.... basically I consider that from Spring of one year to Spring of the next, I donate the majority of my stock. With the exception of one specific style of pendant, anything I do not donate I usually sell for $1.00 dollar at my first show of the season. For the most part, this gets rid of all my old stock.

Otter
Old 2009-11-04, 7:53am
Lampworkaholic!

Judith - in my case, orphans are usually a color experiment, such as a frit on a base that didn't quite work for me, or a bead from an earring pair that lost its mate along the way, nothing elaborate. In essence, spacer beads. But I am thinking of having a clearance sale on some of the focals that I have dragged from show to show that just don't sell well, such as my hearts and cats. I just want them to be gone to good homes. So that would be my $5 tray.

I love Carolyn's idea of a bag for $20. How big a bag? 3x3? 3x4? Some other size?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-04, 9:51am

Thanks for the info, everybody. All good ideas.

Melody

Old 2009-11-04, 10:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
$1? $2? I'm quite shocked.
Do you mean with orphans flawless beads that just didn't fit within the original set (color or pattern)? Or do you mean seconds?

If I have orphans (NOT seconds) and someone is interested in them, I usually sell them at a slightly discounted price. If a normal bead is $12, I would charge for the orphan $8.

But normally I'm just doing a couple of new beads that match and sell them either as a "mini set" or make a complete new set in same design/style as the orphan bead.
You've made me feel SO much BETTER with your post Judith
I was kinda feeling like I should be hiding behind the sofa....'cause I've been taking my "orphans" (which is 80% of what I create right now--it's anything that doesn't become "jewelry" or isn't a "omg, I made a focal!") & popping them in a big tray & marking them "pick a bead $7.00" & then tossing stainless chains out for $3.00 more...copper chains for $4.00....Sold enough of them to cover the cost of my booth space & pay for my pop-up tent @ the farmers/art market this summer...
I see no reason to under-price myself or my glass.
and, as my sister says..."when in doubt, rip off, 'cause you can mark it DOWN later, but you sure as heck can't mark it UP!!".... (you know how you hear kids say "$x, that's a rip-off"? ...really, you price what the market will bear...I don't want to be the $1.00 focal lady! Buy 10, sure, I'll cut you a discount, but they still won't be $1.00 unless they're plain spacers (and for that, I agree with Nikki....Spork...spork, spork...I'm just plain awful at matching spacers!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-04, 11:10pm
I'm a lilac!

I usually save my "orphans" and sell them all in a huge lot for an average of $2.50-$3.00/bead, but that typically includes a few large elaborate focals that have just been around too long. If I've saved "orphans" for a year I can make $400 or so in a go, that way!

Seconds get thrown into the ocean.

Old 2009-11-05, 1:54am
one day at a time

Wow, I probably should sell mine for more than a buck a bead! But in this economy, I will never get what I use to get for a strand of 100 of them. Highest ever was $368.00 on ebay, back in 2007. In my dreams it would be that ever happening again. So most definitely I'm not taking a chance on ebay, because I always start them at 99 cents. I sell mine on Etsy at $100.00 for 100 and do well with it.

The seconds, or "wonkies" I sell for $25.00 for a strand of 100. I get back the cost in glass, at least.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-11-05 at 1:57am.
Old 2009-11-05, 2:13am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I usually save my "orphans" and sell them all in a huge lot for an average of $2.50-$3.00/bead, but that typically includes a few large elaborate focals that have just been around too long. If I've saved "orphans" for a year I can make $400 or so in a go, that way!
I got one of those batches
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-11-05, 3:30am
Eyes upon the horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maren View Post
Lucky!

Last edited by squeek-a-mouse; 2009-11-05 at 3:33am. Reason: add smiley
Old 2009-11-05, 7:39am
Puddy Cat Lover

I make cell phone charms and keychains with my good orphans or small one of a kind experimental beads. If I sell my orphans from my wonky box, I start them out at $2.00 and depending on the artwork that goes into them and the size, I can go up to $12.00. If I want them to all be in one bowl, then I put a string tag with a letter on it that represents..... A = $2.00 B = 3.50 C = $5.00 etc, with a little chart next to the bowl.
So I think it all depends on what your goal is. Selling them too cheap to make some quick cash can quite possibly de-value your work. If a person sees a beautiful bead mixed in with the orphans that has a similar color combination than one you're selling at full price, they may wonder why they can't get the full price one for a buck.

J.

Old 2009-11-05, 9:37pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

yeah, a 1$ 'orphan' on a 15cent cell charm becomes at least a 5-7$ thing all of a sudden.

most of my 'orphans' become pendants.
but i have a 1$ bowl too-earlier beads, beads that are just fine, but *I* don't particularely like them, ones that didn't turn out just right..., and people *LOVE* it.

Old 2009-11-05, 9:57pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maren View Post
You sure did! I think there were even a few small sets in that one.

Old 2009-11-06, 1:46pm

$5 for anything in the bead bowl - simpler rounds, decorated with swirls, dots, frit, stringer, etc - when I (rarely) demo and sell. I try not to let them go for less than that because, well... That's the bead bowl that gets filled for Beads of Courage, but it seems I need something to sell when I demo. I'd rather it not sell and donate it instead of charging less.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-11-06, 2:38pm

Wow....I make mine into anklets, bracelets and bookmarks and get a good price for them. A girl's got to make a living, right?

Amy
Old 2009-11-06, 8:25pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

It all depends on if you go to a GIFT show or a BEAD show.

Old 2009-11-06, 10:27pm

I sell simple spacers for $1 each ... simple two layered (encased) for $2 each . large sized but not quite right focals are my $7 beads ... but easy, simple orphans are $5

Old 2009-11-07, 12:43am
one day at a time

If I put mine on ebay I won't get a fraction of what they are worth. If I sell them at the per bead prices of my regular sets on Etsy, I won't get that because most people work with full sets. A bunch of mismatched beads, with no complete sets, so people are not going to want to pay full price for them as it is. Design possibilities are limited, am I right? This is just my opinion.

What do people do with orphan beads??? If they are large and focal size, I can understand, but what about the "regular size" beads? Really small beads like spacer size, I just sold 253 non-wonky ones for $120.00.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-11-07 at 1:36am.
Old 2009-11-07, 10:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
If I put mine on ebay I won't get a fraction of what they are worth. If I sell them at the per bead prices of my regular sets on Etsy, I won't get that because most people work with full sets. A bunch of mismatched beads, with no complete sets, so people are not going to want to pay full price for them as it is. Design possibilities are limited, am I right? This is just my opinion.

What do people do with orphan beads??? If they are large and focal size, I can understand, but what about the "regular size" beads? Really small beads like spacer size, I just sold 253 non-wonky ones for $120.00.

This--look @ the fringe--that's where tiny spacer-type orphans go in "my" stuff....they go into "fringe"!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2009-11-07 at 10:31am. Reason: wrong pix.
Old 2009-11-07, 12:07pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I get them to fill a small baggie for $20.00. It works so well, I get rid of my beads very quickly that way!
That's a real good idea! Never thought of that.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2009-11-07, 12:43pm
passionate about pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post

Seconds get thrown into the ocean.
Where do you live??? LOL think i need to go swimming

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-11-07, 2:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post

I have a lot of clients who do bracelets or necklaces where each bead is different... I have had clients purchase multiple matched sets just so they could break them up and do this. I think that's what happens with most of my "orphans" too.

Old 2009-11-07, 2:09pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOrM View Post
Where do you live??? LOL think i need to go swimming
Hehehe! I usually do it at either Cannon Beach or Manzanita, on the Oregon Coast. The kids LOVE throwing beads into the water!