Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-12, 8:12am

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida
Smile Does anyone living in SW Florida have time to teach me to pull points

I am going to be in SW Florida for the next three weeks and would love to meet anyone that has time to teach me to pull points. Definitely willing to pay for your time and supplies. I won't have my lynx with me.

Thanks

Micki
Old 2012-03-12, 9:51am
Borovangelist

Practice, practice, practice.

It's easy enough to just do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8no68RxYpNo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2012-03-12, 11:11am
Always Improving

What Tom said....
Old 2012-03-12, 4:42pm

^ that's a good video until about 3:20 ... not sure why he's angling it back and forth like he's going down a rocky hill on a bicycle though and he wobbles the glass around when he's pulling the point like a shaking lamb's tail. Obviously a tube rest is a foreign country, even a couple of long, bent, nails in the top of your bench to rest the tube in between is better than the wobblies.
If you need more material in your point, just holding it at an angle and moving the glass through the flame in a perpendicular fashion, if you need to move it at all or turning it further out where the flame is broader, rather than angling it back and forth, will give you a more even result. Also, if you learn to pull your points long enough so you can have a point on either side of your working glass it's a lot more useful and you don't have to attach punties etc. I know it's difficult to judge the good information from the not-so-good in a youtube video for someone starting out.

The info about heating up the shoulder to correct an off point is good though. You do this because the point gets thin quite quickly and the shoulder is thicker, so the splash heat, which is gentler, is enough to heat the point in exactly the right place and you can straighten it out easily and with control. If you heat where the glass gets thinner, things can get out of control really quickly.

If I was in SW Florida I'd say come around, I'm a big believer in points and in my eyes it stands in your good stead that you desire to learn this technique. I pull points all day long every day so it would be be no hassle. It's often a lot easier seeing something done and having Zen and the Art of Lampworking explained to you in person. Alas, I'm a little further afield than FL. Good luck on your quest, I hope you find an accommodating lamper down there!

Once you have all the right info, then do what the other guys said .... do the four P's ... Practice Practice Practice Persevere

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2012-03-13, 6:12pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

if you want to come to orlando, I am available. I may be in bonita springs this weekend. Send me a PM and lets see if we can hook up

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."