No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-01, 5:52pm
Practicing perfect

Default Question about rod warmer

Has anybody ever tried using a crockpot with vermiculite as a rod warmer?
What about the top of your kiln?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-01, 6:26pm
Loving learning

I've put them on top of my chili pepper kiln.
Old 2012-05-01, 6:30pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'd be worried the glass would get dusty from the vermiculite. Kiln top may work. I don't know if it'd get hot enough. I'd probably stick the end of the rod into the kiln, instead. I use one of those curling iron stove thingies.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-05-01, 6:40pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I've tried, it doesn't get hot enough.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-05-01, 7:26pm

I have a ceramic table top heater. it's pointed toward my tin plate of glass that I have in line to use.

I may have to change now that it's getting warm out...it just might be too much heat for me as well.
Old 2012-05-01, 9:15pm
Loving learning

Even the ones I put on top of the kiln, I still start out at the end of the flame to be "gentle".
Old 2012-05-01, 9:26pm

I bought the rod warmer from Devardi, which is basically the same thing as a curling iron warmer that you can buy from a beauty supply place. For the money it's a pretty great option. Devardi sells the rod rack for inside and a plate for top and bottom so I can warm my murinni at the same time on top.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-05-02, 5:47am

The curlin iron heater works very well for heating both rods and murrini slices. Crock pots only hit around 200 degrees (F), leaving you way short of the temp required to keep a rod from popping.
Robert
Old 2012-05-02, 7:36am
Practicing perfect

Thank you all for the great advice. Sounds like either this curling iron thing or the hot plate is the way to go.

Old 2012-05-02, 8:30am

Hmm. I put mine on top of my Paragon kiln and it seems to help a lot. I wonder if it's because I'm mostly using 96 coe uroboros glass - very unfussy stuff, it seems.
Old 2012-05-03, 7:44am
Practicing perfect

I also use the top of my kiln, Paragon as well and I use COE 104. Seems to help quite a bit.
My only concern was blocking the vents on the top of the kiln. Would this cause an issue. I don't have a lot of rods on there, just 1/2 dozen or so at any given time, but was just curious if anybody else did this as well. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Old 2012-05-03, 2:03pm
Loving learning

Even though I do try to remember to be cautious even with the ones on top of the kiln, I don't necessarily use the colors I have up there anyway, so I don't know why I even bother to put them up there. Maybe I need to plan ahead? What a concept!
Old 2012-05-03, 5:05pm

Has anyone tried the rod heaters welders use for their welding rods?
Old 2012-05-04, 10:51am
Always Improving

I have been using the curling rod warmer for abou a yuear and LOVE IT.

Goes to about 800+ and I have a small plate on top to warm the murini.

Less than 60.00 on AMazon.

Mike...
Old 2012-05-04, 12:52pm
Queen Tut ;)

I use the devardi rod warm, it's the same EXACT thing as a curling rod warmer. I love it for my shocky handpulled and larger diameter rods. You need to make sure to have either the metal plate or rack that keeps the rods from touching the inside surface, they will stick...and they're a pain to remove.

In theory I could use the top of my kiln, as I've burnt myself on it if I lean on it. It's too far from my torch station for me to do so. If I could reorganize and have it closer, it'd be great.

Old 2012-05-09, 12:59pm
I ate a big red candle!

I use the top of my kiln covered in an old fiber blanket. I have a little jen ken firebrick kiln.

It works well, but I can't use it until the kiln has been running for like 2 hours cause it takes a while for the heat to get through the insulating fire brick.

I've been eyeballing one of those rod holders that you can set in the back of your flame. Like I need more tools

My fledgling etsy shop