Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-07, 7:56pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaglassgal View Post
"It's just a flesh wound"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-04-07, 7:58pm
Lover of all things color

Don't reach down to get something in the bottom drawer while trying to keep the bead warm. The burning fingers don't hurt right away so you won't realize that they are burning until it's wayyyyy too late.

I have no finger prints on either one of my index fingers, ask the Feds. they will tell you it's true. They are gone forever and they wanted to know why.....hmmmmmm

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-04-07, 8:14pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

1. Dont reach over your flame...caught my hoodie on fire...
2. When doing a disc bead, and it comes unstuck, dont continue to work it even though it will come off the mandrel, or you might tilt it and the bead might slide down and burn the shit out of you...
3. wear shoes while torching, molten glass feels like it burns to the bone....(I HATE SHOES!!!!)

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-07, 8:39pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I just learned one today! If you just can't wait for the murrini cane to cool, don't cut it into a plastic recycled sour cream container. It won't stay in there for very long, lol.

I swear, I just did this yesterday.
Not a sour cream container, but a little plastic storage drawer . . . .

< sniff sniff > what's melting???

Old 2010-04-07, 8:49pm
Borovangelist

Don't put plastic containers behind your rod rest, you'll eventually melt something you didn't plan to.

Use your rod rest, setting hot glass or tools down onto plastic coated tool handles is a *bad* idea.

If the tool falls, don't try to catch it, it's probably hot.

I learned that if a marble falls onto the plywood floor, it mostly chars, it's not always the sudden ball of flame you might fear. Unless it's resting up against your hoses, then hurry!

|
|
Old 2010-04-08, 6:02am
Happy Beadmaker!

1. Don't leave kiln on HIGH to start the day -- in case, you forget!!!

2. Don't sing with your mouth wide-open!!!! (**No pic available!**)

~
~
~
Old 2010-04-08, 6:13am
Growing Edge Glass

Don't hold your mandrel with a bunch of disk beads out of the flame admiring them for too long..only to put back into the flame....shattering one of them....which sent a big chunk of (really hot) glass into the skin on my throat...which I couldn't pull off fast enough, because it had burnt into my skin too much.....now I have a lovely, white, raised scar that looks like I've had a tracheotomy.

I just bought a flame resistant do-rag for my head/hair...just in case...

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-04-08, 6:20am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
3. wear shoes while torching, molten glass feels like it burns to the bone....(I HATE SHOES!!!!)
after a decade of wearing steal toe boots for 6 days a week , it's flip flops all the way for me( I ALSO HATE SHOES!!! ). i've had a number of people tell me i'm gonna burn my feet ,and they're right, it's happened. but it's rare and my feet are happy.

Old 2010-04-08, 7:03am

Don't lick your graphite paddle to stick your silver leaf to it...forgetting that you had been marvering with it for the entire previous half hour.
Old 2010-04-08, 11:02am
Goddess

When you lose control of your mandrel with the big-ass bead on the end, and it is heading for your lap, you get bonus points for quick thinking if you stand up and get out of the way instead if trying to catch it. But after you've retrieved your mandrel and quickly get it back in the flame, remember when sitting down again that there are wheels on your chair and that it is very likely going to scoot backwards faster than you can sit on it...this will nearly always leave you sitting on the floor with a stunned look and the hot bead, which you had avoided earlier... in your lap.

Old 2010-04-08, 11:13am
Hobby Junkie

Murrini cane is still hot after you pull it... and you shouldn't grab it and try to cut it "to see a slice" 10 seconds after you finished pulling it... no matter how excited you are to see it. LOL. Did that last night in an overly enthusiastic moment.

Also, wasps are very pissed off after they have just flown into your torch flame and singed a wing. It is very hard to pick up your rods off of the work table with a pissed off wingless wasp milling about!

Old 2010-04-08, 11:56am
GlassDocNC

I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one who does stuff like this!
Old 2010-04-08, 11:56am

Don't throw that reamer out. Is can be used if you ever move up to vessels. File the end down a little rounded and it will still be usable when you move up in size! I wanted to look to the future when you are a pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillianbeads View Post
....lesson #319 for me, LOL.

Don't put hot graphite reamer down on top of plastic-handled scissors...

Once melted in, don't try to remove...it breaks. Sacrifice $1.00 scissors, not $50.00 graphite reamer.

...that's my (duh) lesson for today.

Would anyone like to share their glassy "life" lessons? It would be valuable for some of us to read about them, before it happens to us...yes, I know they're common sense.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-04-08, 12:51pm
I like to melt things

Don't put silver leaf in your mouth to hold it. Ever. It's yucky.

-
-
Old 2010-04-08, 4:46pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderCreek View Post
When you lose control of your mandrel with the big-ass bead on the end, and it is heading for your lap, you get bonus points for quick thinking if you stand up and get out of the way instead if trying to catch it. But after you've retrieved your mandrel and quickly get it back in the flame, remember when sitting down again that there are wheels on your chair and that it is very likely going to scoot backwards faster than you can sit on it...this will nearly always leave you sitting on the floor with a stunned look and the hot bead, which you had avoided earlier... in your lap.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-08, 5:01pm
offically down under

when changing the song on your ipod, which you keep in your bra, don't let the mandrel with the hot bead on it near your hair.

Old 2010-04-09, 12:51am

Oh... I have one and it still makes me bow my head in shame

When taking one of my first classes I was working with my marver for a good length of time. The head on the marver was loose and annoying the c... out of me. When finishing the bead I showed the marver to my teacher. Before I knew it, she grabbed the marver and burned her tumb badly on the very hot grafite. I felt sooo bad and still do. Sorry, Connie.
She managed to teach the rest of the class with her tumb covered in honey.

The lessons learned and now passed on;
1; Don´t show someone your hot tools, unless you are 100% sure they are not going to grab them
2; Honey on your burns will cool them down and make them heal faster.

R#115
Old 2010-04-09, 1:19am

When you are working with boro and hot fingers for the first time and really don't know what you are doing, sacrifice the bead BEFORE you burn through the brand new hot fingers.
Old 2010-04-09, 4:15am
BeadsonCypress

Oh, the one that is most obvious....if you have long hair, tie it back!!!
Burning hair doesn't smell too great ("Yeah Honey, I know, I know, I forgot to tie my hair back again!")

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-09, 6:28am
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I think everyone must have done this at least once.
I feel so much better now!

Old 2010-04-09, 3:29pm

Hot glass burns
Sharp glass cuts
All glass is dirty
Old 2010-04-09, 4:33pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

1. Don't wipe glass off using your t-shirted armpit.
2. Hot glass hurts my armpit.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-04-09, 5:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
when changing the song on your ipod, which you keep in your bra, don't let the mandrel with the hot bead on it near your hair.
And put the hot mandrel down when pushing glasses back up on your nose! Anybody want a "hair" bead?

And ya might want to wear a shirt without a low or loose neckline. Better to burn the shirt than the girls.

Old 2010-04-09, 6:22pm
Dangerous Woman

I torched once - and only once wearing a tank top. Yup, almost burnt the twins. Now in the summer, if I'm swimming in between making beads I always throw a t-shirt on.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-09, 7:59pm
Formerly FishBulb

Even wearing a high-necked shirt is no guarantee.

One night I went out torching, and couldn't be bothered to change into my torching clothes. I was wearing my favourite shirt, so I thought I'd throw on an old hoodie over top, zip it right up to the neck, actually tie the hood ties around my neck as well for added protection, and out I went.

Within half an hour I had an exploding rod and frit went flying everywhere... including down my shirt, past the bra and onto my stomach, where it lay there and smoldered.

I'm out there, pounding my stomach and hoping to hell my favourite shirt didn't get wrecked. (it didn't)

Old 2010-04-10, 6:02am
Wonderland sounds fun...

If you use kitty litter to hold your dipped mandrels...

Rule 1:
Don't accidentally lock your kitty in the garage... or ur mandrels will be all over the floor and ull have a pot full of kitty pee (good kitty, bad me)

Rule 2:
Don't put hollow mandrels in the kitty litter to hold it up if you plan on blowing a vessel.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-04-10, 4:56pm
I practice alchemy!

Oh, don't try to mound the frit back up with your fingers after you've rolled a bead in it...

Celeste
Old 2010-04-10, 8:11pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredycat View Post
Remember that stringers get shorter as you use them.

Also remember that telling yourself that the stringer you're using is long enough to finish what you're doing is probably not true!
The corollary to this one is, if you do make sure your stringer is long enough to finish the job in one go, the stringer will break before you're finished with your design.

Old 2010-04-10, 9:23pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGlassMonkey View Post
1. Don't wipe glass off using your t-shirted armpit.
2. Hot glass hurts my armpit.

--Joy
Sorry but this one just made me lose it!

My lesson: NEVER torch after drinking a Margarita. For some reason this concoction makes you think you can just reach up and adjust Sponge Bob's crooked mouth with your finger while the bead is still in the flame! Singed fingernails stink too and so do crispy fingertips! Lesson 2, if you have to learn lesson #1 a second time............well, you get the picture!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-04-10, 9:27pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I also suggest, when working with freinds, practice what you will say in case of a mishap BEFOREHAND so you won't stand there stammering, pointing and gaping as you watch smoke billowing up from your friend's shoulder where the hot glass that exploded off her work is burning through her 2 layers of clothing..........or in case a piece of hot glass breaks off of her rod and lands on the butane lighter sitting beside her on the work bench!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb