No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-11, 7:25pm
pedal as fast as you can

Default Molds, Presses or freehand

I am just curious, do most of you use a mold or press to form your beads or do you do them freehand ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-11, 7:29pm
Queen Bee

I love to use the beadrollers by CG beads - to me they are way easier to use than a press. Other than that, freehand and a marver. But the beadrollers rock.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-04-11, 8:38pm
Life is change. Love it

Press, marble mold and freehand

Old 2010-04-11, 8:42pm

It all depends on the bead I'm trying to make ... for my most recent beads I've been making for my jewelry, and I tend to find the presses important for consistent size and shaping (try making a straight sided lentil using a marver only) ...

Before that I was making focal beads and was using a masher or a marver.

Sadie

Old 2010-04-11, 9:33pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I use all.

Ebay:
Old 2010-04-12, 1:07am
one day at a time

I just make 'em, er...round.

Actually, "traditional" rounds, the fat donut shape and that is freehand heat and gravity, no tools except a tail stock holder for the mandrel. The basic bead shape, and it's all I do pretty much with the exception of one other shape. I use a brass masher/press to make tabs that are 9mm or 11mm thick. I just take a chubby round bead and mash, and get oval tabs.

I'm press impaired, but I just got a custom made "crunch" press in two sizes, and I will soon be having some fun with that.
Old 2010-04-12, 5:28am
Run Free Sweet Boy

all of ther above, just depends on what I am making... but I LOVE my cg bead roller for making the long beads with tapered ends.. I CAN do it with a torch and marver but her tool makes it SO fast and consistently sized at both ends. the presses I use the most are a 1 1/4 inch lentil, the nugget, and a crunch

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-04-12, 6:13am
Sorry for party rockin'

I use all methods too . . . but, I probably handshape the most, use my cg beadrollers second, and very rarely use presses.

I enjoy handshaping - it's the way I learned (we didn't have no fancy bead presses when I started ) and I like keeping my skills sharp by shaping my focals by hand.

My beadrollers have become an essential part of my beadmaking in order for me to maintain consistent bead sizes. My natural tendancy is for my beads to get bigger and bigger as the day goes by, so I use the rollers for bead sets that are all sized/shaped the same.

I only have three presses and don't use them very much. I never really got 'into' presses, so I don't have very many and I'm not that good at using them.

Old 2010-04-12, 7:22am
pedal as fast as you can

Thanks everyone. I just freehand mine and use a marver but, I see such perfect shaped beads and thought I would ask.

Old 2010-04-12, 7:43am
sunscreen me baby

I use all three as well.

Like Ginny I use the presses for sets and when I want uniformity.

There is something neat about making a bicone or long skinny focal tube look great by shaping with heat and a marver. It makes me feel accomplished, lol.

~

Old 2010-04-12, 7:49am
da General

Freehand 99% of the time - I find that it's easier to shape perfect bicone and tube beads with perfectly puckered ends using just a flat marver. That's one of the reasons I made a bicone shaping tutorial!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-12, 8:39am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Craig I use all 3 depending on my mood and what I want to accomplish.
Old 2010-04-12, 10:42am
pedal as fast as you can

I would like to stick with freehand too. I just feel for me the old school way is the best for me. I guess I need more practice to get to the point of the folks on here. I can see using molds and presses when time is short and total uniformity is needed.

Old 2010-04-12, 11:44am
Somebody's watching me!

craig, i love you signature. sooo true! my sister in law should hear this.

Old 2010-04-12, 12:07pm
Salt Box Beads

Presses, molds, shapeing tools, gravity flow by applied heat.

Lorraine
Old 2010-04-12, 12:12pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I use all.
What she said.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-04-12, 12:36pm

I agree about the beadrollers. They are used almost everytime I am shaping. It is great for bead ends. Such a cool tool. I freeform, use CGBeadrollers and the presses.
Old 2010-04-12, 12:41pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattirebiker View Post
I would like to stick with freehand too. I just feel for me the old school way is the best for me. I guess I need more practice to get to the point of the folks on here. I can see using molds and presses when time is short and total uniformity is needed.
Molds and presses don't save any time until you know how to use them properly. They aren't as easy as they look!

Old 2010-04-12, 2:08pm
pedal as fast as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
craig, i love you signature. sooo true! my sister in law should hear this.
Cool, Thanks. Hope I'm not stirring trouble ?

Old 2010-04-12, 2:09pm
pedal as fast as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Molds and presses don't save any time until you know how to use them properly. They aren't as easy as they look!
Well that's what I would of thought. I don't have any soooo. Good to know.