Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-26, 7:07pm

Default Hollow Bead Cleaning

So, you know how difficult it can be to clean hollow beads out. Blowing it by your mouth just never works. I was talking with my dad about how I was going to buy a can of compressed air and he suggested a tool he already had at home (my studio is in my parent's garage).

A BIKE PUMP

He has a little attachment for blowing up a basket ball (it is thin about 2 mm with a hole at the end that I could get inside the bead). It blasted out all the bead release in two pumps! I didn't have to by the pesky compressed air that just leaves waste to fill up a landfill.

Thought I would share my tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-06-26, 7:33pm

Wow - that's a great idea Lara! Thanks for sharing!
Jenny

Old 2008-06-26, 7:38pm

YW, Thanks to my dad, it was his idea. I told him I was going to rush home to share. Jenny, love your avatar.

Old 2008-06-26, 7:45pm

Thank you Lara!

Now I have to go make some hollows so I can try your Dad's tip!

Old 2008-06-27, 10:31pm

oooh! I bet the little pumps for blowing up balloons would work too!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-06-27, 10:55pm

Yeah, they would and probably a little less awkward than the tall bike bump.

Old 2008-06-28, 10:45am

It was suggested by Barbara B. Simon in a class that you can use one of those rubber bulbs for cleaning baby's noses. Fill the bulb with water and place at the hole of the bead and force the water through the bead. It works pretty well!
Old 2008-06-28, 11:11am
Glass-aholic

a big syringe works well too (especially the not sharp ones for like ink refill or the plastic lab ones!!) either with water or air.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-28, 9:47pm

I liked the air because it didn't get the inside wet. I like the bulb syringe (baby nose cleaner) idea too.

Old 2010-01-31, 11:32am
In spite of it all!

I use my waterpik set as high as it will go... mix a little baking soda in the water and blast the thing out. Comes out clean as a whistle.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-01-31, 12:13pm

I love all of these super-clever ideas! I'd just been waiting for the left-over bead release to dry then I shake it out... but I don't think my hollows are big enough yet for the inner bead release to have really big chunks yet. Now I'll have to work on bigger hollows! Yay! Thanks for sharing your tips!

Old 2010-01-31, 1:07pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Nichols View Post
I use my waterpik set as high as it will go... mix a little baking soda in the water and blast the thing out. Comes out clean as a whistle.
What a great idea!

Jack

Old 2010-01-31, 2:02pm
offically down under

So....you don't just fill your mouth with water and blow? I found that making the hollows on a 2.4 mm mandrel makes them much easier to clean.

Old 2010-01-31, 2:38pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Nichols View Post
Yep, the waterpik! I haven't made hollows in a looong time! I think I will go play!
Old 2011-02-28, 4:19pm
Francesca

Try compressed air in a can, you know that you use to get dust out of a keyboard,,,. Works great for me.
Old 2011-02-28, 8:22pm

This turned out to be annoying, so I used a large syringe and water. Basically a human powered water pick.