Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-20, 2:29pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Default Soooo, the "new" EDP - how to work it???

I used so far only the handpulled "old" EDP, but unfortunately my stock is getting really low.
I thought let's try to machine made version and see the results. But I am beyond shocked. This is not purple, this is ... plum ... eggplant!

Is there a special trick how to tickle out the purple? Do I need to treat it differently? Work colder, hotter?

I am aware that I can't achieve exactly the same results with the machine version than with the hand pulled. But I want something that at least resembles purple, rather than eggplant (which is quite pretty too, but not what I want ... I can have this with CIM and without devit).

Here my comparison beads.

Old, hand pulled EDP:

New, machine made EDP:

Any tips and hints are appreciated! Thanks!

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-20, 2:39pm

Sorry Judith, no advice to offer here. But had to say, wow what a difference in color!
Still pretty, but a completely different shade.

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-20, 6:58pm
Lampworkaholic!

Wow - the "new" EDP i have is paler than the old and washed out looking. What do your rods look like? I actually love that darker look.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-20, 7:34pm

Erose, that's weird.
Well, the rod color looks exactly the same as the old EDP.
And yes, I do like the new color. But I can get a very similar color from CIM Eggplant without devit.
And it wasn't what I expected, because I still want a color that somehow resembled EDP, and not a plum/eggplant color. As nice as it might be.

Oh, and forgot to add: the "new" EDP turned out to be not always completely opaque. Some of the beads show a bit of translucency ... you can see a hint of it in the last two beads on the right.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-02-20, 8:22pm
Nikki Haverstock

I am curious as to why handpulled versus machine pulled should make such a difference
Old 2011-02-20, 8:31pm

I'm sooooo out of the swing. They stopped hand pulling EDP, right? and if yes, will they ever hand pull it again?

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-04-23, 8:34am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Where is everybody getting this new "machine" EDP?

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-04-23, 9:41am
I'm a lilac!

Oh no... that's not the same glass at all! How sad... I have some designs that require the old EDP. Guess it's time to tally up my stash and see how long I can make it last.

Old 2011-04-23, 10:10am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I am curious as to why handpulled versus machine pulled should make such a difference
This doesn't make sense to me either. If the recipe is the same why would the pull make such a difference?

Old 2011-04-23, 10:13am
Cat herder

Maybe it's not the same recipe. They may have changed it so it doesn't devitrify as evilly.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-04-23, 10:15am
Storm Queen

Well my personal feeling is that if the recipe is different, it shouldn't be named the same because it's not the same. But then that's just me.

Old 2011-04-23, 10:20am
I'm a lilac!

Yes, I agree completely! Very sad... I just went and looked, and I only have about a pound! I have a lot of glass colors, but I only VERY rarely buy more than a pound at a time so I don't have much of any one color. So, I'd better make it last me.

Old 2011-04-23, 10:39am
Newfoundland lover!

Ugh. I only have a few pieces of the old. I haven't tried the new.
Is there any way a bunch of us could request, complain, ask nicely or beg-desperatley to get them to make it again?
Would we contact Effetre directly or ask vendors to ask?
Not sure what we can do. It seems like it should be a whole diff color and number.
-Merilee

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2011-04-23, 10:43am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Makes me glad I stocked up on the old.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-23, 4:20pm

Bitchbag
Old 2011-04-23, 4:29pm
~ toes in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Makes me glad I stocked up on the old.
Where is Squidville exactly?

Old 2011-04-23, 4:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
Where is Squidville exactly?
I ain't saying.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-23, 4:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Bitchbag

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-23, 4:40pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
I ain't saying.

I actually get asked this a lot in PM's.

Old 2011-04-23, 4:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-23, 4:54pm
~ toes in the sand.

Quote:
I ain't saying.

Then I concur with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Bitchbag
It isn't like I was planning a trip to your house to lighten your EDP load or anything..............

Last edited by Juls; 2011-04-23 at 4:56pm.
Old 2011-04-23, 4:57pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
This doesn't make sense to me either. If the recipe is the same why would the pull make such a difference?
Ah, we've tried to explain this before, including in this thread

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ck#post2989715

and a few others, including some threads on EDP
Kinda like a food recipe, what works for 4 doesn't necessarily work for 4 x 6 or more or less, ingredients seem to react to each other differently if quantities are different.
In other words, it's not just a math thing

Old 2011-04-23, 5:01pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Ah, we've tried to explain this before, including in this thread

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ck#post2989715

and a few others, including some threads on EDP
Kinda like a food recipe, what works for 4 doesn't necessarily work for 4 x 6 or more or less, ingredients seem to react to each other differently if quantities are different.
In other words, it's not just a math thing
Yes, that makes sense. If the color was still close, like it usually is, I'd say no big deal. But this is so far off it should just be named something else.

Old 2011-04-23, 5:40pm
Disconnected

Couldn't agree more!

Old 2011-05-02, 12:49pm

Default EDP by Hand Only

I have not heard anything about 591254 Purple (EDP) being manufactured by machine. This does not make sense. I have spoken to the production manager at Effetre and he tells me that if they were to make it by machine it would not be like or act like the handpulled.

When it comes to making handpulled by machine, sometimes it works well, sometimes they are not the same. Most transparent come out the same, the exception I am aware of is the 031, so we carry both a machine and handpulled version.

If you compare 210 and 211 handmade verses machine made, the handmade color is my favorite, but the difference in tonality for the machine made does not make it bad, just different.

So I feel that there is no machine made 591254 Purple, but I will email Effetre just to confirm.

I too would like to know who bought some and where did they bought it from just to get the record straight. Now it is possible that the factory made some by machine for a test, but if they had done that they would have probably had to run a minimum of 500 kg, and they do not do that unless they know it will be something they can sell.

But I need a bit more information to give an answer I can stand behind.

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2011-05-02, 1:05pm
one day at a time

Okay...now I'm confused! So then it must have been a rumour, I take it. Who got that one going, I wonder? Because if Mike isn't aware of a machine made EDP, then it probably was just someone's assumption that went wild.

It's handpulled still and that's my guess at this point, and it's just not as pretty as the previous lot, that's all. So...we'll just have to wait!

I don't like this current batch but I am lucky enough to have about a pound of the good stuff. I use that one for beads where I expect the color to be like it's supposed to be. The new lot, I'll just work with it to do different things. Problem solved then.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-05-02 at 1:08pm.
Old 2011-05-02, 1:33pm
sunscreen me baby

Funny, I like the new color so much I ordered some to try, lol. Of course I don't want the old one to be gone. But that new plum shade sure is pretty base on Judith's picture.

~

Old 2011-05-02, 2:01pm

The batch that I just bought has a darker/transparent core and the surrounding glass looks like previous batches. My test bead is transluscent plum. Do anyone else's rods look like this?

Old 2011-05-02, 3:00pm

As usual, my Search capabilities fail me and now I can't find any postings about EDP hand pulled or machine made.

I hope I didn't simply spread a rumor. I know that I read about it here on LE. Hope it was not in the Bathroom.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-05-02, 5:12pm
sunscreen me baby

I remember hearing it too Judith. It might have been an assumption that sounded right.

~