Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-22, 7:44am
Phill

Aye, I doubt you will need a fan to bring in anything. The fan pulling fumes out will create the draft to pull air into the room.

However, it is a good idea to have some ductwork for that incoming air to follow right to your bench top.

That way the cold winter air will replace the fumed air and go right back out and more of your heated ( or air conditioner cooled air) can stay to keep you comfortable.
You do want just a little of the room air to come over your shoulder and out the vent system but you can try to limit it to 5% or something.
Old 2015-07-22, 8:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Aye, I doubt you will need a fan to bring in anything. The fan pulling fumes out will create the draft to pull air into the room.

However, it is a good idea to have some ductwork for that incoming air to follow right to your bench top.

That way the cold winter air will replace the fumed air and go right back out and more of your heated ( or air conditioner cooled air) can stay to keep you comfortable.
You do want just a little of the room air to come over your shoulder and out the vent system but you can try to limit it to 5% or something.
Thank you so much for all your tips and making me (and the hubby) fell like this won't be so hard to do. Very much appreciated =)
Old 2015-07-22, 9:19am
Phill

Your welcome.

I am just passing along what has been passed along to me.
Old 2015-07-22, 10:57am
Artistically Absorbed

Just a quick question... if you are actually able to get the metallic surfaces out, will they hold up in the kiln? I had heard the copper black will lose it's reduction if it was annealed. Just wondering...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2015-07-22, 3:03pm

there is a lot of nonsense in this thread

someone has too much time on their hands
They are making it more complicated than it needs to be.
You would be wise to get a good book
one suggestion
"More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Glass Beadmaking"
By James Kervin
Old 2015-07-22, 4:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
there is a lot of nonsense in this thread

someone has too much time on their hands
They are making it more complicated than it needs to be.
You would be wise to get a good book
one suggestion
"More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Glass Beadmaking"
By James Kervin
Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into the book. And I had hoped to get more advice, if not for me, for other people vexed by the silver/copper/aurora glass that Devardi sells. I am new to lampworking, and I did find the advice and the suggestions welcome. It would have been nice to take classes, but it just wasn't an option for me here. I have been reading posts on this site for a while, and finally decided to join because so many people seemed so willing to give advice and be helpful to those with less knowledge. I am glad that I posted this, if for no other reason than to know the potential danger I was putting myself and my family in. If I never post another thing..... at least I will have that. =)
Old 2015-07-24, 10:50am
Slogan Challenged...

I have also heard that the reduction luster is lost if the beads are annealed. Natasha suggests to make small beads "that don't need to be annealed" in order to keep the metallic look. I understand using what you have but I would try to find some of the other glasses that give a metallic look. EFF and CIM also have, as well as the more pricey silver glass

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-07-24, 12:05pm
Senior Moment

That giant heart is DEFINITELY annealed (it would have prob blown up otherwise LOL). So the Aurora Borealis can take annealing without losing it's color. I haven't used the one that turns copper in a while, but they also kept their color.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2015-07-24, 1:26pm

After finding the closest place to the garage (so I could plug in the kiln) I played with the glass yesterday. I think I spent more time being an all you can eat buffet to the mosquitoes! But I think I got the silver glass to work. The Copper one is still illusive..... the largest bead was made with the coppery black..... while there is the slightest "sheen" to it.... no golden copper color. It'll have to wait until the ventilation is installed..... trying to melt glass and swat bugs is dangerous.

Old 2015-07-24, 2:44pm
Lisa Berczel

I have the Devardi silver, copper and borealis too. The method to bring out the color is NOT the same for all 3.... take a good read of the instructions on the web site. I had to put in an email and Natasha has been very helpful with my questions. I've also found that they can be touchy when it comes to annealing as well. Pretty, but persnickety.... especially for us relative beginners.