Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-09-27, 8:40pm
Mary Lockwood

Default Free Quickie Tutorial- Cauldron

Posted this cauldron bead in the gallery and was asked how I made it. Been a while since anybody asked me that and it tickled me. Time is of the essence if you want to make these beads for this season I couldn't take weeks formulating a fancy shmancy tutorial with real pictures so I sketched this out in about 10 minutes. Hope you like it. More detailed text is after the images.

First I made a fat barrel of ink blue.

Then I snipped 3/4" pieces of flashy dichro, prewarmed them then applied them to the barrel. I heated them in smooth, then twisted them in several places to break up the straight edges.

Mashed into a thick tab.

I put 3 dots of red opaque spaced kinda far apart horizontally across the lower third of the bead front. Melt smooth.

I layered a dot of opaque orange on top of each red dot. Melt smooth.

Layered a dot of opaque yellow on top of each orange dot. Melt smooth.

Used an ink blue stringer to rake the stacks of dots upward and outward. Used the same ink blue stringer to twist areas just to the sides of each raked dot to make them swirl out to look like flames. I twisted each raked stack of fire dots one or two times.

Melted it all smooth.

Then I added one big fat blob of dark silver plum where I wanted the cauldron belly to be. Melted this in just enough to make the edges flush with the surface. The rounded belly of the pot is still dimensional. Added a swipe of dark silver plum across the top of the cauldron for the rim and fine tuned it with my razor blade to make is straight and even.

I repeated the flame treatment (layered dots, raked, twisted) several times to the side and front of the cauldron to look like flames licking up the sides of the pot.

You know how if you put clear encasement too hot over black it makes that foggy crap we all despise? I thought I'd use that for 'steam'. I laid down three wiggly stripes of black stringer coming up out of the cauldron top. Melted them in almost completely smooth then let them cool a bit.

Superheated some clear and quickly layered it over the black stringer to cause the fog. Truth be told, if I were trying to NOT have fog I probably would have gotten more 'steam'. I didn't get nearly as much as I wanted. It was a good thing I had the dichro behind it added what was lacking.

By now, the cauldron was really nice and shiny from reduction, but if yours isn't, go ahead and reduce the bead to bring up the metal.

That's it!

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2010-09-27 at 8:43pm.
Old 2010-09-28, 2:50am
Wendy

Awesome! Not only do I love the cauldron, but you taught flames! Oh, and I've still got the original 3 rods of DSP that came with my sampler from Moretti and More 3 years ago... I might even bust that out and try it. Tonight after dinner, I'm grabbing some time at the torch.

Mary, thanks for all you do!

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-09-28, 3:58am
Not really a tree.

Love the bead! Thanks so much for being so generous, looks like fun to make. I think my daughters would love one of these.

Kristi

/
Old 2010-09-28, 4:39am
Mary Lockwood

Jim- Mr. Booger Himself - taught me how to do flames! I believe he has a good tutorial for them over on Wet Canvas (or maybe here? memory fails) but I remember him posting about it before. A loooong time ago. LOL He is the king of flames. I will look around and see if I can find his post because he explains that part better than I did. I was just doing a hit and run for the cauldron.

~~Mary

Haven't found it yet...but found some other cool flame threads! Here's one where Allison Turner shows a mini demo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ghlight=flames

Last edited by Moth; 2010-09-28 at 5:30am.
Old 2010-09-28, 4:59am

That is a cool bead!

Amy

Old 2010-09-28, 5:44am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

OOOOOoooooo Mary!!!! I can't wait to try this!! Thank you so much!!!!

What type of dichro is that? And, if you don't mind, where do you get it? I have the hot stix, but I don't think that is the kind this one is......

Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-09-28, 5:53am
I fart diamonds

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2010-09-28, 7:02am

Awesome Mary, I love your cauldron! The flame tuturiol is on wet canvas but he teaches it in a flat stringer pull I think, you used layers of dots, so much quicker I would think and they do so look awesome. Thanks for posting this..
Old 2010-09-28, 7:42am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
OOOOOoooooo Mary!!!! I can't wait to try this!! Thank you so much!!!!

What type of dichro is that? And, if you don't mind, where do you get it? I have the hot stix, but I don't think that is the kind this one is......

Cheers! Joan
Hi Joan!

This is CBS dichro on thin effetre clear strips, preslumped so the edges are nice. I get it from Ron Bearer, but this particular piece was sent to me as a gift from Debbie Smedstad. She had it custom coated and kindly shared some with me when I was in a slump.

I use my nippers and cut off little triangles from the strips. Mainly because I'm stingy and I don't want my dichro used up so fast.

Hope that helps!
~~Mary

Old 2010-09-28, 7:53am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmountainglass View Post
Awesome Mary, I love your cauldron! The flame tuturiol is on wet canvas but he teaches it in a flat stringer pull I think, you used layers of dots, so much quicker I would think and they do so look awesome. Thanks for posting this..
I'm not sure if it is quicker or not, the reason I do it is because I never plan to make flames, they just happen sometimes and I don't have a twistie with fire colors ready. These are like 'spur of the moment' type flames. LOL

Old 2010-09-28, 8:09am
Creatrixie

Super tut, Mary! Thanks for sharing!!!
It really inspires me to pull out the dsp and I can't wait to try flames like that!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-09-28, 9:11am
I think I could be a bead

Mary, thanks for posting this. You are an excellent tutorial. You do a great job of explaining, too! Thank you!

Old 2010-09-28, 9:39am

Thank you Mary - this is wonderful!
Old 2010-09-28, 3:16pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Bless you! I love this bead but you know that. Thanks so very much for sharing. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2010-09-28, 3:23pm

Wow, that's a very cool design!

Old 2010-09-28, 6:11pm

If you scroll down almost to the bottom you will find Jim's (aka boogerbeads) intructions on his flame stringers. I've pulled stringer using this tut and it is great if you do alot of prep work. I just like the idea of the spur of the moment flames that yours shows Mary.
http://www.beadingtimes.com/beadmaker1105.htm
Old 2010-09-29, 5:37am
Always learnin' & yearnin

Too Cool!! Thank you Mary! Gonna go try this tonight when I get off work!

Old 2010-09-29, 9:49am
Wendy

Donna, thanks for that link. That interview with the Boogers was awesome and now I've saved the directions for his flames.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-09-29, 8:41pm

Your welcome, I saved his tutorial and printed it out years ago, I'm just glad that the link I had still worked. I'm going to pratice using Mary's tutorial hopeful tomorrow we will see, since we are having alot of power outages from this tropical strom it may not happen.
Old 2010-09-30, 2:50am
Wendy

I made a couple of Mr. Booger's fire and ice beads last night. There was a transformer up the street that kept exploding while I was working (apparently not the one for our power here) so after 3 beads I shut everything down and set the kiln to ramp down. Next I'm going to try Mary's tutorial.

Quote:
Old 2010-09-30, 8:49am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Mary...this is just SO CUTE! I love it!!!! I just wish I hadn't sold all my DSP which didn't especially like me

I do have some Black Metallic from Devardi (haven't tried it yet; too skeered as it's a whopper rod! Yikes!!!) but maybe this would work? I'll have to try and pull a smaller diameter rod first though.

I sure love this bead! I'm gonna try and find some time to give it a go! Thanks for the inspiration and guidance!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-09-30, 5:08pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Mary, you are all kinds of AWESOME! Thank you for sharing!!!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-09-30, 6:35pm
It's all about the color.

Way too cool, thanks for the tutorial!

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-09-30, 6:51pm
I'd rather be torching.

You are awesome Mary!

What a cool bead, cannot wait to play this weekend!

Thanks for sharing.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.
Old 2010-09-30, 6:54pm
Cat Winx

Mary that was so amazingly cool of you to go to the trouble to post (and what a great bead!)

Bravo, Mi Amiga (love mixing metaphors and stuff

~Rachel

Last edited by ElementalsDesign; 2010-09-30 at 6:55pm. Reason: 'cause I'm a little slow.. ;}
Old 2010-09-30, 6:56pm
Cat Winx

P.S. (Mary)..
You mean I can make the Dk. Silver Plum (which I have but haven't dared touch yet) like that!???

~R

Old 2010-09-30, 8:06pm
Adrian

Mary, you're not only an incredible artist but an outstandingly generous one! thanks again for all your inspiration.
adrian
Old 2010-09-30, 8:08pm
Just Me!

Thumbs up

Thank you Mary.............Val
Old 2010-09-30, 10:13pm

Pretty awesome bead and tutorial!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-10-01, 5:17am
Happiness is....

here's my arm around you to give you a *Atta Girl and Thank You* Hug!! You are so generous and I appreciate it. oxox

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons